Chapter 13

Torn Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'You've got to end this Haein,' I told myself,'It's not about you anymore. It's about Chanyeol and if you don't end this, someone's gonna get hurt.' I stared at my textbook, disregarding the teacher's lesson. I was with Chanyeol, yet my heart belonged to Luhan. Sounds legit. 

Maybe I did like him a little more than a friend should, but he still wasn't the person I wanted to be with. I sighed, annoyed that I had said yes to Chanyeol, and looked up at the white board. 'Haein, Chanyeol's been one of your good friends and you wouldn't want anything to happen to him, right?' I questioned myself,'He doesn't deserve you, and you don't deserve him either. End it.'

The bell rang, disrupting my train of thought, signalling that school was over as everyone stood up from their seats and exited the classroom. I closed my textbook and strolled out of class, thinking of ways to end the relationship without breaking his heart when Chanyeol popped up in front of me. "Um hi?" I swallowed my saliver as he looked back at me excitedly.

"Hi,"He bit his lip shyly as he slipped his hand into mine,"How was class?" I glanced at our interlocked fingers, shame slapping me the minute I saw it. It had been a week since his confession and I know I should've ended it the next day but seeing him so happy- I just couldn't. "It was...confusing but I got it in the end ha-ha." I laughed awkwardly as Chanyeol grinned at me and walked to my locker.

"Hey you guys!" Eunhye beamed at the both of us as I took my things out from my locker,"You free tonight? Well, you have to be because Luhan and I made a reservation at a restaurant for all four of us!" I stared at her as I left my jaw to hang,'A double date? Was this girl kidding me?' Chanyeol faced me, waiting for my approval as I looked back and forth between both of them. 

"I-I don't know. I've got a lot of things to study for and...," The light in Eunhye's eyes disappeared at once, making me feel bad as I looked at Chanyeol, not sure if I should continue,"I guess I'll have to do that another day." She hugged me, an aura of happiness surrounding me immediately, as I looked at her weirdly, uncomfortable with the action. 

She told us the address and that we had to be there by eight as she walked away, leaving us alone. "I heard salmon sushi is on sale today," Chanyeol hinted as we walked out of school but I pretended not to catch it,"When was the last time you ate sushi?  The last time I ate sushi was... I feel like I haven't eaten it in a long time."

I looked at him, knowing where he was trying to get at but I decided to ignore that. "Actually, I feel like eating that today." I fiddled with my fingers as the thought of sushi floated in my mind and distracted me from reality. I was hungry and nothing was going to stop me from day dreaming about food. We passed by one of my favourite joints- which just so happened to have a sale. "Wow, that looks tempting." "Wow, that looks expensive," I said, crushing Chanyeol's enthusiasm,"The Ramen across the street is cheaper-"

"And tastier? Oh you feel like eating th- Okay lets go!" He said eagerly. I looked at him stunned,"Nonono, no no. I-I have lunch at home...yea."   I didn't want to eat with him because I wouldn't know where to look. I mean, what if we made eye contact? That would've been awkward. "Oh, so you're going home? Okay lets go!" Chanyeol instantly responded. 

"Lets? No no it's okay, you can eat your sushi. I can walk home on my own." I gave him a weak smile and a gawky laughter that followed after as I started to edge away from him. I didn't understand why I was trying to avoid him- we weren't even like this before so why was I acting differently? He didn't deserve this and I knew it, yet I refused to act otherwise. 

"Well, anything could happen to you on your way home and I'm quite sure it's a boyfriend's job to protect his girlfriend, so you should let me do it." Chanyeol flashed a toothy grin as he took my arm and led the way to my house. 'Great, now the awkward silence is gonna follow me home.' I thought, dreading the next kilometre or so back to my house. There wouldn't have been an awkward silence if I had just played along and acted like everything was fine, but I couldn't lie to myself. 

We walked to my house, quietness filling the air with every step we took. I didn't know what to say to him, and he probably didn't either. We were bound for disaster if this was how our relationship was going to be in the future. 'But isn't that what you wanted, Haein?' I reminded myself as I stole a quick glance at Chanyeol, only to see him scratching the back of his neck nervously. 'Just end it already, will you?' A part of me told myself but I was reluctant to follow that. I didn't want to break his heart, yet I didn't want to string him along- it just wasn't me. 

"So...," Chanyeol said once we reached my doorstep,"I'll pick you up at 7.30?" After giving him a small nod, he walked down my front yard and onto the pavement, smiling to himself. I wanted him to be happy but not give him false hope. "Why can't I love the one person that actually loves me back?" I mumbled to myself miserably as I opened my front door. 

For the next few hours before eight came, I lazed around, staring at the television and occasionally sleeping during commercial breaks. I just didn't understand why girls always made the extra effort to look good on dates, I mean it takes up so much time and effort, plus you're already dating the guy, so why bother? 

I went up to my room and opened my closet, wondering what I could wear. 'We are going to a restaurant for dinner, so nothing too sloppy or too loud.' I advised myself as I took out a white dress with a chain trim. It wasn't what I usually wore, but I guess it called for the occasion. I quickly slipped it on and looked around desperately for flats, spotting only converse shoes and sandals, once I heard the doorbell ring. I grabbed my bag and ran down the stairs, past the door that stood Chanyeol and my father, and into my parents room. "Mum?" I called out as I entered, looking around the room for a pair of flats as she walked out of the toilet. "I'll be borrowing the- thanks mum!" I said to her, taking her shoes and dashing to the front door and saw my father talking to Chanyeol.

"Wh-why so formal guys? Ha-ha...," I tried to break the nervousness in the air as they both stared at me expectantly,"I'll be back before eleven, so um bye dad." I gave him a stiff smile and pulled Chanyeol out of the house. I knew that that scene was going to come and I wanted to escape it, but I guess some things just can't be avoided. I didn't like these type of scenarios because they just made me fe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter