Fighting Back

A Chance to Change the Past
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: hi guys. Sorry for the delay in updating. Hehe, it's just that I've been rewatching their Japanese concerts the past few days XD

Also, I ended up writing so much for another chapter. It's not as much as the last one, but it's still longer than the usual. So I'll just separate the last part into another chapter and do a double update.

Man, I've got to stop writing so much :P

I was lying down on my front on my bed, looking through the pictures and videos of the boys after their split.

“This is going to be another complication,” I muttered to myself as I looked through my files.

Making the Super Junior members (and the boys) watch some of TVXQ’s and JYJ’s videos in my time had made me realize that, of course, the same music and songs won’t be retained this time around. It was only to be expected, but it still made me feel sad at the same time. They did still produce amazing songs after the split.

I wonder if and how we can get around this, I thought, frowning and rubbing my chin.

“ERIN!” Junsu squealed, suddenly bursting into our room.

Startled because I wasn’t expecting them to be back from work so early, I quickly slammed my laptop shut.

No need to start bothering the members with these thoughts. Not yet, anyway.

“What’s up, oppa? You’re back early,” I said in a would-be casual voice.

Junsu paused in the middle of the room, slightly out of breath from his dash. He tilted his head to the side, his eyes slightly narrowed as he stared at me. My tone seemed to have set him off. “What were you doing?” he asked, his eyes darting towards my laptop.

“Nothing,” I replied immediately.

He opened his mouth to call me out on my bull, but then he seemed to think better of it. Junsu had always been wary of the things in my laptop ever since I first showed them their last performance. The poor duckbutt knew that many of the contents of my laptop would just bring him more heartache if he saw them.

“So… you were looking for me, oppa?” I asked Junsu, hoping to completely distract him.

“Oh, yeah…” Junsu nodded, suddenly smiling again. “Jaejoong hyung asked me to fetch you. We brought home some pastries! You totally have to try them! They’re from the best bakeshop here in Seoul, I’m telling you!"

“Alright, alright,” I smiled at his enthusiasm as I slowly sat up and stretched my arms and back.

“Hurry up!” Junsu said impatiently. “Before Changmin eats everything!”

“I’m surprised he hasn’t eaten everything already on your drive back home,” I muttered as I followed him out the room.

Junsu just rolled his eyes at me.

SJ PoV

(A/N: lines in italics are said in Korean)

“Is this really a good idea?” Eunhyuk muttered quietly as the elevator doors opened and they stepped out into the top most floor of the SM building.

“Do you want to help DBSK or not?” Heechul asked testily, glancing back at his younger member.

“Of course I do! What kind of question is that, hyung? It’s just that- well, it won’t be good for either of our groups if we’re caught here, will it?”

“Yeah, it’s going to look bad for DBSK in their lawsuit if we get caught looking for evidences for them,” Donghae agreed with Eunhyuk.

“Well, whoever said that we’re going to get caught?” Heechul said exasperatedly as he peered around a corner. He made sure the next hallway was completely deserted before he led his two members into it.

“And you’re perfectly sure that the security cameras have been disabled, hyung?” Donghae couldn’t help but ask again as they sneaked down the hallway.

“You’re seriously doubting me?”

Donghae and Eunhyuk wisely did not answer the question.

“I have good connections, you know,” Heechul huffed when the two did not answer.

“And they won’t turn their backs on you?” Eunhyuk frowned.

“I’d like to see them try,” Heechul said with a menacing smile that made Donghae and Eunhyuk inwardly shudder. Yep, everyone knew better than to mess with the diva of SM.

“I just know that Leeteuk hyung is going to murder us for this,” Donghae shook his head as they tiptoed towards their goal: the President’s office.

“More like sing us praises and proclaim us as heroes,” Heechul corrected.

“No. Even if we succeed in this hare-brained scheme of yours, hyung, I still say Leeteuk hyung will murder us…”

“But what about the passcode?” Eunhyuk asked worriedly as they reached the door of Lee Soo Man’s office.

“Don’t worry, got it from the bastard’s secretary yesterday,” Heechul said as he punched in the code. The door unlocked and the three Super Junior members quickly slipped into the room. Heechul shut the door and locked it again.

“And how did you do that?” Donghae asked, bewildered. As far as he knew, Lee Soo Man’s secretary was a woman in her forties who was the biggest and crankiest to most of the idols and to all of the staff whose position ranks lower than hers.

“Well, it was actually Siwon who got it for me. I set him on her. didn’t stand a chance!” Heechul cackled as he walked over to the president’s desk and started picking on the lock of the topmost drawer with a hairpin.

“Oh, good one, hyung!” Donghae grinned, nodding.

“Yeah, it was Erin’s idea, actually; she was the one who put the idea in my head. Everyone does have a thing for Siwon, at one point or the other…” Heechul said a bit distractedly as he managed to get the drawer open and started rummaging in it.

“Who’s Erin?” Eunhyuk asked, raising an eyebrow. He was standing by the door, keeping guard and straining his ears for possible sounds in the hallway outside.

“Oh, she’s, uh- she’s DBSK’s new personal assistant. We met her when we dropped by DBSK’s apartment a few days ago, as you guys know,” Heechul explained as he started opening folders of files. They weren’t what he was looking for, though, and he shut the drawer again with a deep frown.

“She’s great. Smart and funny, really witty and comes up with great comebacks, too… you should see how she puts Changmin in his place…” Heechul continued to mumble as he started picking the lock of the second drawer.

“Ohh…” Donghae and Eunhyuk started to nod, but then Heechul continued on.

“…the girl’s so oblivious, though. Can’t even see that Changmin’s totally in love with her…”

“WHAT?!” the two shouted together, their eyes growing wide.

“Keep your voices down, will you, you idiots?!” Heechul hissed at them, looking up from his search to glare at s.

“But- but you just said that- that Changmin is-“

“Enough chitchat! We’re supposing to be being the greatest super-sleuths right now!”

Heechul slammed the second drawer shut, still not finding anything there. He went for the third and bottommost drawer, muttering under his breath in frustration.

“Good thing you know how to pick locks,” Donghae remarked dryly, choosing to obey Heechul and put aside the news about Changmin.

“Yeah, I’m sure Leeteuk hyung and Kangin hyung would be glad that you’re making some good use of that ability, other than for claiming to be ‘accidentally’ walking-in on them because they ‘forgot’ to lock the door,” Eunhyuk added.

“Shut it, you brat,” Heechul snapped at Eunhyuk. “Now, Donghae, make yourself useful and start searching those cabinets.” He pointed to the cabinets at the right side of the room. “Look for anything and everything that could incriminate Lee Soo Man or SM!”

After a few minutes of nothing but the sounds of rustling papers, Donghae said, “I don’t think there’s anything in these cabinets, hyung. They’re just charts and graphs and records from board meetings…”

That made Heechul pause from his own searching.

“Let me see those,” he said as he hurried over to Donghae.

“I don’t think those are anything but the usual business rubbish, hyung,” Eunhyuk said from his place by the door. “I doubt Lee Soo Man would keep anything dangerous to him or the company in those cabinets. Heck, there aren’t even any locks or anything on them…”

“That’s because they’re not normally incriminating,” Heechul said in a telling whisper, starting to smirk as he looked at the bunch of documents that he had grabbed from Donghae.

“…what’s that supposed to mean?” Eunhyuk questioned, leaving his spot by the door to look at the papers over Heechul's shoulder.

“That these records are exactly what we need to give to DBSK for them to use in the lawsuit,” was all that Heechul said.

Donghae and Eunhyuk were about to question him further, but they were distracted when they saw Heechul stuffing the papers into the inside pocket of his coat.

“Hyung!” Donghae gasped, aghast. “You can’t take those with you!”

“Have you gone mad? What do you think is the point of what we’re doing here? We’re supposed to be getting evidences!” Heechul gave Donghae a look that said that he thought the younger one was being stupid.

“Well, just take a picture or something, then!”

“Pictures can be claimed to have been manipulated! Using the original copies would make things so much easier!”

“Not to mention dangerous,” Eunhyuk added, completely agreeing with Donghae. “Hyung, we can’t take those! Don’t you think there’s a goddamn good chance that the president will notice that some papers are missing? Even if he doesn’t automatically assume it has something to do with DBSK’s lawsuit, which I really doubt, he’d still know that someone’s pilfered his papers and that’s something’s up! And if DBSK uses that in court, he'll know for sure why those documents have gone missing!”

“Let him think whatever he wants!” Heechul snapped. “You heard from us about what Junsu let slip a few days ago! Lee Soo Man had been threatening Yunho! I think it’s high time that that old man learns how it feels like to have your dirt dug up and used against you!”

Donghae and Eunhyuk can’t really argue with that point. Nor can they (nor anyone else, for that matter) argue with Heechul when he gets into these moods. So they just kept their mouths shut and followed Heechul, and they all slipped out of the office.

End of SJ PoV

(Disclaimer: all “facts” and “evidences” found here, especially the ones gathered by Super Junior members are only for the purposes of this story. They may or may not match up with what’s actually true in our reality.)

“Your friend Heechul really knows his stuff,” Mr. Han, the head of the boys’ lawyers, said with a satisfied grin.

It was late at night and we were all seated around the dining table, watching as Mr. Han did a preliminary look over the papers that the Super Junior members had taken from Lee Soo Man’s office.

It had been decided before that Leeteuk would be the only member of Super Junior that would be secretly engaging in direct contact with DBSK; if any of s had seen or heard anything, they would relay it to him, and he would contact Yunho. It was much safer for everyone that way; it would be riskier if all Super Juniors were calling or even meeting up with DBSK- more chances of them being caught.

So, Leeteuk had called Yunho that afternoon, telling him that the Super Junior leader would be making a quick visit to the apartment to drop off something that some of the other Super Junior members had “borrowed” from the office of the president himself.

“I don’t understand,” Yoochun frowned, still looking at the papers with distaste. He hated anything that showed to his face SM’s great wealth and power. “How can these be used as evidences, again?”

“Yeah, aren’t these just records of the company’s profits?” Jaejoong added.

“Exactly!” Mr. Han said triumphantly. “And these show that the company’s profits are questionable!”

That made our eyebrows rise.

“Questionable?” Changmin repeated, leaning forward to get a better look at the papers that were almost totally covering the whole dining table. “How is it questionable? The growth of the profits seems consistent. There’s no sudden jump or increase to suggest something odd going on…”

“It is questionable because it does not match up with these,” Mr. Han explained, pulling out another bunch of papers from his briefcase.

“What are these?” Yunho asked, looking at the papers as Mr. Han handed them to him.

“Those other documents that you’re holding now are the records of the profits that SM has gained in the past few years, as they have ‘declared’. And, as you can see, there’s quite a big difference from their actual profits, as shown in the documents that your friends have found”

“Let me see those!” Jaejoong said urgently, grabbing the papers from Yunho and almost tearing them because of the suddenness and force of his action.

“Jaejoong, be careful!”

Jaejoong just ignored Yunho, his eyes darting back and forth from the documents in his hands to the ones on the table. “They’ve earned about 30% more than they’ve declared!” he gasped after a couple of minutes.

Our eyes all widened.

“30% is quite a lot,” Yoochun mumbled, his other members and I nodding in agreement with him.

“So, what is this, then? A case of tax evasion or something?” I asked with a frown, looking at Mr. Han.

“It also could be,” Mr. Han allowed. “But what I think is more important for us is how SM got those extra profits. Because if we look at their declarations, the numbers of their profits would rightly match the sources that they’ve listed. But if we take into account the profits that haven’t been officially mentioned, then it doesn’t balance anymore…”

“But where did SM get those extra profits, anyway?” Junsu wondered out loud.

“It’s obvious, isn’t it?” Jaejoong said through his gritted teeth, his hands that were on top of the table clenched into tight fists. “Us.”

Mr. Han nodded. He shifted the papers in front of him and picked up a few of them. “These were included among the bunch of documents that your friends got. These are SM’s records of the money their idols groups have been making.” He handed the papers to the members. “Including Dong Bang Shin Ki.”

“We’ve been making more than they’ve been telling us!” Yoochun shouted, outraged, when he saw the numbers on the paper.

“And here we thought we were already being skimped of our own money,” Jaejoong said disgustedly. “Apparently, though, we haven’t realized just how much is already being taken unfairly from us!”

“Yes, and those papers also show the very high percentage that your company is taking from your earnings,” Mr. Han pointed out. “And it’s very far from what was agreed upon in your contracts.”

“This is concrete evidence, then, against SM,” I observed. “This would prove the boys’ claims about the questionable partition of their earnings.”

“Yes,” Mr. Han nodded. “And as for the question of the kind of work ethics SM has, we’ve managed to gather the boys’ medical records as well as put together the past schedules of the boys’ trainings, performances, appearances, concerts, and so on. Good evidences to prove the claim that they’ve practically been treated as overworked horses in that company. And we still have the other documents and data that our ‘research’ team have unearthed about the questionable policies of SM. Not to mention that recording of Yunho’s conversation with Lee Soo Man. We could have criminal charges pressed against him for that…”

“Wow,” Junsu said loudly, his wide.

The boys and I had to suppress our snorts of amusement at his “very-Junsu” reaction.

“What I don’t understand is why those papers were kept in those cabinets in the first place,” Changmin shook his head.

“Yes, Leeteuk hyung said that, according to Heechul, Donghae, and Eunhyuk, the cabinets didn’t even have any kind of security measure on them,” Yunho nodded in agreement.

“I know why the security of those papers were lax,” Yoochun said suddenly.

We all looked at him, surprised.

“Why, then, oppa?” I asked, taking the bait.

“The old devil’s losing his mind,” Yoochun told us simply, his eyes wide with false sincerity.

Even Mr. Han had to hold back a snort of laughter at this.

“The papers do look meaningless to the untrained eye or to those who aren’t in the know of the secret inner workings of the company,” Mr. Han said, becoming serious again.  “These papers aren’t even what we might call 'top secret' documents. They’re everyday company reports, even if they do show some disparities. It just so happened that those disparities are what’s relevant for our case…” He turned to smile at the boys and said again, “Your friend has done very well.”

He seemed to have been really impressed by how Heechul had noticed immediately that t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter