All Hell Breaks Loose

A Chance to Change the Past
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi, everyone! Sorry again for not being able to update last week, but like I said the week for that, I had to cram with acads-related stuff T.T

Anyway, here's the next chapter. And like what the title suggest, if anything can go wrong for them, it will. And they'll all happen in this chapter D:

Hope you like it! :)

“, , !” Jaejoong kept muttering as we helplessly watched the reporters jump out of their vehicles and start milling by the front of the apartment building. I couldn’t help but give a quick prayer of thanks for the high walls and gate that blocked them from the actual entrance. Not to mention these tinted windows that we were currently looking out at.

But still…

“You guys don’t think they’ll try to break in, do you?” I asked anxiously.

“I hope not,” Junsu squeaked, looking just as anxious as I felt.

“No, no, I’m pretty sure they won’t try something that drastic,” Yunho murmured as he drummed his fingers listlessly on the windowsill. He shut his eyes and took a deep breath in an attempt to compose himself. “No, we should be fine in here. I mean, how can they even be sure that we’re in here, right?”

s seemed to acknowledge their leader’s point. But something didn’t sit right with me.

“You guys have told no one apart from your families that you’re staying here? No one from SM knows that you’re here?” I asked them seriously.

They all shook their heads.

“Not even our friends from the other idols groups know,” Junsu said.

“Hmmm…”

“What are you thinking?” Yoochun asked me.

“I’m not really sure,” I admitted. “But don’t you think that there’s a bit too many of them out there? I mean, would that plenty of reporters really come rushing here if they’re just speculating that you might be here?”

I looked out the window and frowned as I saw even more media vehicles coming down the street.

“I’m starting to think there’s more of them here than the ones outside your old dorms and your families’ homes that we’ve seen on TV,” I added.

“She’s got a point,” Jaejoong muttered grimly. He hadn’t even taken his eyes off the scene outside.

“But how can they know? We’ve haven’t told anyone! Nobody else knows that we’ve been staying here ever since we got back!” Junsu insisted.

“Yeah, as far as SM had been concerned, we’ve been staying in the dorms,” Yoochun said, rubbing his chin and looking thoughtful.

Their manager hadn’t been accompanying them and following them around since we came back from Japan; he had been too furious with the boys. Not that we’re complaining. It made things way easier for us.

But again, how would the media people know that the boys are staying here, if the management themselves haven’t been aware of this information?

Then, it suddenly hit me.

“How were you guys going back and forth from here to work before, again?” I asked them urgently. I know that they were picked up by their lawyers yesterday, but the days before they filed the lawsuit, I haven’t really asked about how they’ve been going to work and back.

“Uhm, the car, obviously?” Junsu replied.

I ignored his ‘duh’ tone, and just asked anxiously, “And which of you five has been driving you guys, then?”

“Which of us is driving, she asks,” Yoochun snorted. “Are you forgetting that SM is still working our butts off? We don’t have any energy left to drive ourselves! It’s still our driver that’s been driving us…”

I shut my eyes tightly. I knew it!

“What’s wrong?” Changmin asked quietly.

“This driver…” I said slowly, opening my eyes. “This is the same driver that you’ve had even before? You know, the same driver all along that SM had assigned to you guys?”

Their jaws all dropped and they looked dumbfounded.

Well, that’s definitely a ‘yes’, then.

Yep, we're definitely in trouble.

Jaejoong hit his forehead with his fist. “How could we have forgotten about him?!” he exclaimed.

“He’s a very quiet guy. His presence is hardly noticed; he just blends in the background…” Yoochun muttered, trying to be rational but still obviously looking pissed at himself for forgetting, too. “That bastard must have just made a lot of money on us, telling the press where we are!”

s joined him in muttering angry expletives about their driver.

“Oh, we don’t know that yet, oppas,” I said sharply.

“What you mean ‘we don’t know that yet’? Who else would have told on us?” Jaejoong said incredulously.

“Oh, I’m sure your driver told on you guys alright, I just don’t think it’s to the press,” I muttered darkly.

“What are you trying to say?” Yunho frowned.

“He works for SM. Yes, it’s a possibility that he told the media where you are, but don’t you think there’s also a good possibility that he told his superiors instead, given his affiliation?”

“But if that’s true… that he had told SM… then that would mean that the press got this information from SM, then…” Changmin said slowly.

“Exactly,” I said grimly.

“They can’t do that!” Yoochun shouted at once. “That’s breaching our privacy rights! Can we hold that against them in court, too?”

“It would be hard to prove,” Yunho sighed. “Unless we could get confessions from the people of the press whom they told. And since the media are getting a hell lot of good from that information, and let’s not forget that this is the powerful SM company that we’re talking about, I don’t think they would easily tell us the truth…”

“Not to mention that it might not even be someone directly associated with the company that told them,” Changmin supplied. “SM could have just as easily gotten someone else to give the press that information. And it could also have been made as an anonymous tip. We’ll be hard-pressed to prove anything, if that’s the case…”

We fell into dismayed silence as we continued to watch the reporters in front of the apartment building, some talking in front of cameras, while some are taking pictures of the building.

“You know, another thing bothers me…” I said quietly, not taking my eyes off the window.

“What’s that?” Jaejoong asked quickly.

I removed my eyes from the scene outside and looked at them all seriously. “Do you think your driver only told about you guys staying here to SM just when the lawsuit news broke out yesterday… or do you think he had immediately told on you right after the first time he brought you guys here instead of your dorms?”

They all stared at me.

“But- but that would have to mean that SM knew all along that we were already somewhat going against their control!” Yoochun spluttered.

“Then, why didn’t manager hyung or someone else tell us off for not staying in the dorms?” Junsu countered. “They would have been furious about it, knowing that we defied something else, given that that was just after we had returned here and had just abandoned the SM party with us in Japan!”

“SM already probably knew that we were up to something,” Changmin said bitterly. He stared helplessly at his hyungs. “Think about it, guys. We just suddenly go back home. Then, when we got back home, we stayed out of the dorms. SM’s not stupid to not realize something was going on with us…”

“That’s even more bothering because that would mean that SM also had preparation time, then…” I groaned, rubbing my face in frustration with the whole situation.

“Preparation time? But SM couldn’t have known that we were going to file a lawsuit, could they?” Junsu squeaked anxiously.

“Well, I don’t think they knew that exactly… But still, Changmin’s right, they must have sensed something odd going on. SM is a serious enemy, we need all the advantage we can get against it. If they’ve already guessed all along that you’re about to do something against them, and we’ve really lost the element of surprise…” I trailed off.

“But again, SM didn’t know exactly that it’s a lawsuit charge that they’re going to have to face from us. They can’t have prepared exactly for that,” Yoochun tried to reason.

“That doesn’t mean that they didn’t already start collecting stuff that would prove our image bad, no matter what we’ll be doing,” Jaejoong said darkly.

“What?” I asked blankly.

“You know, damaging information about us. Information that would put us in a bad light to the public. Things that would cause doubt, no matter we were planning to do against them.”

“But you guys don’t have anything like that under your belts!” I protested. I can’t imagine these boys having whatever horrible things that could be held under their accounts!

“You’re naïve,” Junsu told me bluntly.

I frowned. I didn’t know how I felt that it was Junsu of all people telling me that I was naïve.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

“Naïve?” I said incredulously.

“Of course, we’ve never really done any stuff that would damage our reputations… But that doesn’t mean that SM couldn’t make it out as if we were horrible bastards to the staff, or that we were out of control artists who demanded that everyone bow down to their whims, or that we were materialistic idiots even in the beginning, or that-“

“Yeah, I think Erin already gets the idea,” Yoochun cut off Junsu’s ramble.

“But that’s not even a direct answer to the lawsuit!” I said. “They should be doing something to defend themselves from the claims that you’ve made against them! They should be trying to prove you guys wrong, not backhandedly damage your reputation to the public!”

“But that’s the only way that SM works,” Yoochun said in disgust. “Backhanded.”

“Given that the lawsuit news had broken out yesterday, I’m pretty sure that SM’s already trying to do that and gather stuff that would prove our claims against them wrong. But it would also help their cause if they can cause the public to doubt our credibility. It helps them if we can also be considered as bad guys,” Jaejoong explained.

“That’s sick,” I grimaced.

“That’s the reality of our world,” Yunho told me with a resigned expression on his face. “Everything and everyone is, in some way at least, corrupted. Honesty and all those ‘chivalrous’ things don’t belong in the world we’re in. No, the way to go in this industry is to always go behind your enemies’ backs, that’s how we live…”

“But you guys aren’t like that!” I protested again. I knew enough from the time that I’ve been with them to know that they’re nothing of the sort!

“No, we aren’t,” Yunho acquiesced. “And there are also a few others who wouldn’t sacrifice their integrity just to gain to power. But that doesn’t change the fact that many others would. That doesn’t change the fact the whole industry itself is very corrupt.”

We fell into silence again.

“I just wish we could get back at that traitorous driver of ours,” Yoochun said loudly after a while.

“I don’t think you can exactly call him ‘traitorous’, oppa,” I sighed. Yoochun looked indignantly at me, but before he could protest, I continued, “I mean, can he really be considered a traitor when we all knew all along that his loyalty was with SM to begin with?”

That caused him to deflate. “Yeah, you’re right… Great, now I just want to kick myself for our serious oversight... it could have caused us everything…”

“But it hasn’t,” Yunho said steadily. “Yes, it’s causing us problems now that the press’s just outside our doors, but it hasn’t caused us to lose our battle, at least. We just have to be more cautious from now on…”

“And it looks like none of us can go out later to have our numbers changed,” Junsu added disappointedly. He’d told me before that he was anxious to contact his parents and his twin brother.

“Perfect, as if my mother won’t already kill me for suddenly sprin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter