Chapter 20

✩Smoke and Mirrors✩

“Are you kidding me?” her body jutted forward, her right arm swinging behind her to point at the couch. “You think taking me out one time and buying me convenience store ice cream would make me love you?”

He straightened her back and crossed her arms. “What kind of girl do you take me as, Song IlHwa?” she shook her head.

He watched her movements with careful eyes, waiting patiently for her to stop talking. Once she showed signs of being finished with her insulted rant he spoke, taking a small step towards her.

“Soomin, you really don’t see it do you? You haven’t seen it since he came around.” He tilted his head slightly to the side when she glared and turned her head, hiding her face.

“You are being manipulated!” He took another step toward her, reaching out to grab a hold of her arm. He held it loosely as he lightly tugged her. “I’m not trying to trick you into loving me, I’m trying to show you what it is like to have someone love you.”

She swatted his hand away from her arm and looked him in the eye.

“Taking me out once is showing me you love me? You ignored me for months.” She narrowed her eyes, put her pupils were weak, shaking slightly as they danced around his face.

He took a hold of her arm again, this time pulling her against his chest and wrapping his other arm around her. She struggled for a moment, pushing against his chest to free herself arm his embrace. He didn’t budge, though. His arms remained tight around her frame and he laid his head onto the top of her head, closing his eyes.

Her struggling stopped slowly the longer he held her. She just waited him out, with the knowledge that he would eventually speak.

“I know” His voice was low, quiet enough that she was sure he was whispering. “I didn’t want to. I fought hard against talking to you every day but…” he paused to take in a deep breath “It was hard watching you fall for someone else.”

Against his chest her face contorted and her eyes squeezed shut. Feeling her shake slightly against his chest he opened his eyes and pulled away from her, looking at her face.

“Yah!” He yelled, pushing her away from him. “Don’t laugh!”

Yeji crumbled to the ground, her quiet laughter morphing into a loud belly laugh. Taesun stood over her, pouting, becoming more and more embarrassed the more she laughed.

“I’m not an actor!” She still kept laughing. “Lee Yeji! Stop laughing!” He stepped away from her and sat down on the couch, glaring lightly at her back.

 

Yeji slowly composed herself, sitting up and eventually standing up, her laughter reduced to light giggles. She stepped over to Taesun and seated herself next to him. Taesun’s glare fell from his face when she looked at him with a bright smile stretched across her cheeks and tears in her eyes.

“Aw. Taesun! You did well though.”  She rested her head on his shoulder, still giggling.

Taesun looked at her face that lay sideways on his shoulder. Of course he wasn’t going to be mad, but he was very tired of acting that scene with her. She was adamant that he work hard while helping him act, she said that if he just stood in front of her and read the lines emotionlessly that she couldn’t study well. But every single time he embraced her it became more comfortable. He rolled his eyes and looked away from her.

“So we have to do it again, noona?” He asked, looking at the clock.

Yeji lifted her head off of his shoulder and shook her head, “No. It’s late. You have class tomorrow.”

Taesun nodded, looking at her. He looked at her face for a while before he spoke, examining under her eyes and her forehead for signs of fatigue. Slowly his cheeks turned up as a small smile spread across his face.

“My class tomorrow is dance. Do you wanna practice with me?”

Yeji’s head whipped in his direction, her eyes open wide. “You want me to dance?”

He laughed and stood up, “Of course. You are making me act these amazingly corny scenes.”

She pouted as he reached out and pulled her up by both of her arms.  “It’s the least you can do, noona.” He smiled, stepping further into the room where there was more space.

When he dropped her arms she just stood. Her arms hung limp at her sides and she could only watch Taesun silently as he moved over to the boom box that was set up under the wall-mounted TV. He pressed the play button and danced towards her.

She only watched, clamped shut and her body rooted to the ground she stood on. Taesun stopped dancing when he was in front of her, bending over with short laughter.

“Noona, you look so awkward!” He grabbed her arms again, and lifted the up waving them around the way you would make a dog or a baby dance. “Just dance!”

Yeji made a face, pulling her arms back against her body. “I don’t dance.” She crossed her arms, “and stop calling me noona. I’m not that much older than you.”

The negative expression remained on her face. Taesun laughed again, “here.” He stepped back and did a short repetitive dance move. He continued to dance as she watched him. “Do this.” He instructed. Yeji still stood still and he sighed, stopping and moving to stand next to her.

“put this foot out like this.” She followed his instructions.

She learned how to do the small dance step by step, slowly becoming more comfortable with the dance. When Taesun began to move freely, dancing around the room with a look of complete happiness on his face, Yeji didn’t hesitate to dance freely as well. Although her body was stiff, and her dance moves looking silly and unnatural, she still danced and laughed with him. The pair danced around the room, laughing and playing happily.

Yeji frowned, when she got a quick glance at the digital clock on the table.

“Ah.” She stopped dancing and faced the clock, Taesun mimicking her actions and looking at the clock as well.

“Wow.” He breathed.

The time had gone so fast, it was now the early hours of the morning. They had both lost track of time while they played.

“You need to go to sleep.” Yeji turned to face Taesun with a smile.

Taesun nodded, remaining quiet. Yeji wrapped her arms around his middle, and rested her head on his chest.

“Will you help me practice tomorrow?” She asked, as Taesun responded to the hug, wrapping his arms around her shoulders. He nodded, mumbling out a short ‘mhm’.

Yeji nodded against his chest before loosening her grip and stepping back, scooping the scripts off of the coffee table.

Taesun watched her leave, saying goodbye with a smile just before she closed the door.

The room fell into silence once Yeji left, and Taesun was stuck in the middle of the room, the music still playing. He watched the door for a few minutes after she left, lost in his head. He eventually pulled himself over to the boom box to turn off the music.

Taesun scanned the now empty room again before he sat himself on the ground and returned his attention to the door. He watched the door, hoping slightly that she would come back in. He hadn’t quite realized it before, but since Hyunsoo left the dorm was very quiet. Taesun had become so used to Hyunsoo and all the noise that followed.

It was bizarre having there not be the sound of something breaking, or Hyunsoo bounding through the dorm with heavy feet. It was nice having Yeji over so often to ease Taesun into such a strong feeling of being alone. Taesun laid back, resting his head on his arm. He directed his gaze up up to the ceiling, watching the lights from outside the large window in the adjacent kitchen.

It would be too cold for there to be many street performers out. It wasn’t the right season, if there was anyone, they would probably make him feel sorry for them. Taesun rolled onto his side, and sighed. Everything he thought of doing wouldn’t be possible. He considered calling Yeji and asking her to come back.

She had been spending so much time with her recently. He never knew that he would laugh this much with her. Sure, they were close, and it wasn’t awkward when they hung out, but he felt a lot closer to her now that she had that fight with Chan. Taesun was still shocked that she had confessed. He still though that she was wrong, but there was something that bothered him more.

She didn’t feel like a noona to him, even though he always called her that. Something about her made him want to follow her around, make sure she does well, make sure she is not upset.  Taesun fell asleep there, on the floor, thinking about his past few days with Yeji, a smile on his face.

Hyunsoo frowned, staring at the door to his dorm. He and Haeri have been fighting more and more often over time. With a sigh Hyunsoo punched in the code and opened the door.

“Ya. Hyunsoo! Is that you?” Haeri yelled from the kitching, ducking to see through the space between the counter and the cabnets.

Hyunsoo pulled off his shoes and stepped into the living room, collapsing on the couch.

“Who else would it be?” He responded, his voice hard “Nobody else has the code.” He closed his eyes and rested his arm over his eyes.

He could hear Haeri stepping around the counter and entering the living room. Next thing he knew he felt small tickles on his face, followed by a hair in his mouth. Hyunsoo shot up into a sitting position, sputtering and frantically wiping his face with both hands.

“Are you crazy?” Hyunsoo yelled, opening one eye to look at Haeri while he wiped the rest of the short hairs off of his face. “Why would you do that?”

Haeri folded his arms across his chest, a small smile playing across half of his face.

“I told you to clean up your hair out of the bathroom.” Haeri shook his head while Hyunsoo looked up at him, mouth open in shock.

“Why do you leave so much hair behind? Are you shedding?” He let out a short laugh “Like a dog?”

Hyunsoo groaned and stood up from the couch, stepping up to Haeri, looking him hard in the eye.

“Would you knock it off, what are you getting at?” Hyunsoo pushed Haeri’s chest a bit.

“Are you trying to fight me? Is that why you are being so petty?”

Haeri held his ground, staring Hyunsoo equally in the eyes, but not saying anything. Hyunsoo smirked, stepping back. He shook his head and stepped around his crabby member, making his way down the hall.

“I’m not playing these games with you.” Hyunsoo spoke as he stepped around Haeri before disappearing down the hall and into his bedroom.


I know I said two chapters. I'll post another one tomorrow or Friday to make up for my little itty bitty lie (:

I hoped this one was juicy enough to hold you over for a day (: