Chapter 7

✩Smoke and Mirrors✩

“Ya!” Yeji turned her whole body to face Kymin “You really don’t have your identification card?” She put her hands on her hips.

Kymin bowed quickly at the built security guard that eyed the pair curiously. Honestly, she didn’t know that she’d need it. She opened to return to Yeji but closed it quickly, choosing to shrug instead. Perhaps the security guard would go easy on her if she played the foreigner card. Yeji sighed, rolling her head around on her shoulders.

“Don’t play stupid with me Kymin. Not right now. I hate that.”

Kymin pouted a bit. “Unnie…” she mumbled “…Sorry…” Kymin intentionally spoke with a bit of an accident, still hoping that she would be let in by pretending she didn’t understand.

Yeji dropped her arms for a bit and faced the security guard, bowing respectfully.

“Her brother is in there. Kim Heechul. You really can’t let her in?”

The security guard shook his head, taking a quick glance at Kymin to see if he could see any similarities between the two.

“I’m sorry. She just needs identification as proof.”

Yeji sighed again and turned her attention back to Kymin who was looking down at the ground. After staring at her for a bit, Yeji had an idea and turned back to the security guard.

“If her brother comes down to get us then you would be able to let her in right?”

The security guard simply nodded, causing Yeji to smile brightly as she turned to Kymin once more. She held out her hand.

“Give me your phone. Handphone.” Yeji could tell that Kymin was trying to pretend that she dosen’t know much Korean, so she decided to play along at least a little bit. She thought it was silly, but there wasn’t much she could do. Kymin did as she was told and pulled her phone from her back pocket, placing it in Yeji’s waiting hand.

Yeji quickly began scrolling through the contacts, looking for anything that might be Heechul. As she scrolled further down she noticed that there weren’t any real names, just nicknames, and most of it was in German rather than Korean. She held the phone out, annoyed.

“Call your brother. Tell him to come down and get you. I don’t understand your phone at all.”

Kymin nodded her head and took the phone from Yeji’s hand, navigating smoothly through menus before placing the phone next to her ear.

“Brother” Yeji couldn’t hold back a loud sigh when she heard Kymin speaking in German.

“I should have just gone in alone…” she muttered to herself, watching Kymin talk over the phone.

“Can you come get us?” Yeji was clueless as to what was being said, so she just stood there, the same look of curiosity on her face as the security guard, who still stood silently in front of the two.

Kymin hung up and pocketed her phone without saying anything. Yeji made a face.

“Well?” she asked, to which Kymin just nodded. Yeji rolled her eyes at Kymin’s stubborn attitude, but assumed that meant Heechul was on his way down. Just as she was finishing her thought the door behind the security guard opened and Heechul stepped out.

“That was fast.” Yeji laughed. Heechul faced her and shrugged.

“Well we are about to go on stage, SHINee is up there now.” He responded before looking at the security guard.

“Can they come in now?” He asked.

The security guard nodded and stepped aside, allowing the two girls to enter in the door. Heechul immediately began leading them to the side of the stage where the rest of Super Junior was waiting.

“Kim Kymin! Did you really think pretending to not know Korean would get you in? It only made the whole process longer, and now I’m missing my brother’s performance.” Yeji scolded as they entered the room.

Heechul laughed in front of the two, before turning to Kymin.

“Ya. Little sister. You did that?”

Kymin made a face and nodded, “Well, I thought that maybe he would pity me, or that he would somehow believe me because I’m foreign.”

Both Heechul and Yeji stared at her with their mouths open. Heechul doubled over in laughter, pulling Kymin against his body once he straightened out. Yeji rolled her eyes and moved closer to the stage, hoping she might be able to see the end of her brother’s performance.

“I liked it better when you couldn’t speak.” She mumbled, stretching her neck to see the stage better. She frowned as she saw her brother and s walking towards her, exiting the stage. When Taemin saw her his walk changed to a run and he ran, full speed toward her, picking her up and spinning her around when he got close enough.

“Yeji~ I thought you forgot, or you decided not to come.” He put her back on the ground and pouted slightly at her. Yeji shook her head.

“No. We just got hung up at the door.” She responded. The other SHINee members gathered around Taemin, listening in on the conversation.

“Why? You didn’t bring your ID card?” Key asked, leaning over Taemin’s shoulder. Yeji met his eyes and , again, shook her head.

“I didn’t, she did.” She pointed at Kymin who was talking to Heechul and a few of the other Super Junior members. Key narrowed his eyes.

“Who is she?”

“Heechul’s sister.” Yeji responded.

Taemin put a hand against Key’s face and pushed him back, “Ya. I’m trying to see my sister here. Stop asking her questions!”

Key made a face, but did as he was told, the other members laughing and leading him away. Yeji smiled a bit and focused her full attention of her brother, asking him questions about his health, which he responded to easily.

Heechul wrapped his long fingers around Kymin’s wrist, pulling her in the direction of a few of s who were preparing to go on stage.

“I can’t believe you forgot your ID card, Kymin. You shouldn’t go anywhere without it.”

She shoved his shoulder, “Whatever.”

He laughed as they stopped walking. The other members now turning their attention to the new arrivals.

“I don’t know why I expected anything different. You lose and forget just about everything. You always have.”

Kymin pouted then turned to the members, bowing.

“Hello.” She had noticed their shift in attention and decided that she would be polite and introduce herself first. “I’m Kymin. Heechul’s sister.”

One of the group stepped forward and enveloped her in a big hug, picking her up off the ground slightly.

“I know who you are.” He stepped back and smiled widely at her.

“Did anyone say you could touch my sister like that Kyuhyun? Maknae.” Heechul pried Kyuhyun’s arms off of Kymin.

Kyuhyun laughed, but didn’t say anything as the other two members stepped up to introduce themselves.

“Donghae” One introduced, bowing. Another stepped up, also bowing.

“Yesung.” He introduced himself.

“Hi~” Kymin smiled and waved at the two members she hasn’t met before.

“Why are you so late? Hyung said you were going to be here nearly two hours ago.” Donghae asked, throwing his arms around Yesung’s shoulders. Kymin opened to respond but Kyuhyun beat her.

“She probably forgot something.” He looked at her, a smirk forming on his face. “Right? Was it your ID Card.”

Kymin stomped her foot, “Let’s stop talking about that, okay? It’s not that big of a deal.” The boys laughed, but changed the topic of conversation easily.

Kymin and Kyuhyun were actually quite close, for only having met once. He was the one that let her into the dorm when she arrived in Korea. Before that they had spoken of the phone quite a bit, for some reason he always had her brother’s phone.

Kymin heard a call for Super Junior to prepare to go on stage and pouted, looking at her brother.

“Don’t pout. It gives you wrinkles. I don’t need a sister with wrinkles. I have an image to uphold.” Heechul put his hand on top of her head as the other members quickly said their goodbyes. Kymin pushed him.

“I’ll get wrinkles if I want to get wrinkles.” She responded.

Heechul laughed and pulled her into a hug. When he released her he waved and ran to catch up with the others.

Kymin watched them perform on stage, glancing back every one in a while to make sure that Yeji was still in sight.