Chapter 17

✩Smoke and Mirrors✩

“Oppa, did I tell you that Hyunsoo is preparing for debut?” Yeji looked up at Chan who was cleaning dishes in the kitchen.

Chan turned to face Yeji while he ran the bowl he was holding under the water.

“Hyunsoo….” He paused, thinking. “Ah! Hyunsoo is that one friend you have right?”

Yeji nodded, returning her attention to Joon who was making a serious attempt at building a tower with blocks.

“Yeah. He was put in a duo. huMEN I think… I’m not sure I haven’t seen him for over a week.” Yeji placed a block carefully on top of Joon’s tower. Joon mumbled for her to be careful. When the block was securely on top of the tower she flashed him a smile and a thumbs up.

“Ah. He is doing well.” Chan acknowledged as he turned off the water and placed the last dish on the drying rack next to the sink. He wiped his hands dry and shuffled into the living room where Yeji and Joon played.

“I’m jealous.” Yeji confessed, sitting up and turning to face Chan who sat down on the couch. Chan sighed and shrugged. Honestly he didn’t really know what to say to her. He was kind of jealous himself, but on the other hand, he didn’t really even know the kid.

“He’s your friend right?” Chan asked, to which Yeji nodded “Then just be happy for him. Use your jealousy to work harder and be happy for him. That’s what we are all here for anyway right?” Chan lectured.

Yeji crawled over to the couch, her dark ponytail swinging, and climbed onto it. She uttered a light ‘yes’ before falling silent. Chan laid his head back, enjoying the relaxing atmosphere. He and Yeji both had a day off so they had done nothing but relax all day. The free day also gave Chan a chance to do some cleaning that he didn’t do the night before.

“Dad~!” Joon called from the floor, pointing happily at the tower that was just about as tall as he was.

“Uwa~ Joonie, good job.” Chan praised, smiling at his only son.

“Dad! I’m hungry.” Joon whined, dragging himself over to the seated Yeji and Chan. Chan sighed, he just sat down and already Joon wants to eat. He looked up at the clock, only another hour and it would be near dinner time.

“Son. How about we go to a resturaunt? But we need to wait an hour. Dad is tired.” Chan offered the pouting child.

“No. I don’t want to. I’m hungry now!” Joon stood and placed his hands on his hips, pout still on his face.

Chan shook his head, causing Joon to stomp his feet. Yeji laughed and gestured for Joon to walk over to her.

“Joonie-ah, come here.” Yeji smiled as Joon stomped his way over to her. She pulled him onto her lap and turned to look in his eyes.

“Your dad is really tired. He has been working hard. You don’t think you can just wait a little? We will eat really good food.” Yeji tried to reason with the angry three-year old while Chan only watched.

Joon shook his head, sliding off of Yeji’s lap.

“I won’t. I’m going to die.” Joon huffed and Chan laughed.

“Because you are hungry?” Chan asked with a smile, to which Joon nodded. “I don’t think you will.” Chan challenged.

Joon let out an angry cry and stomped through the living room, yelling over his shoulder once he reached the hallway.

“I am going to die and you don’t care!”

Chan rolled his eyes and laid his head back. He knew Joon must be hungry for him to be throwing a tantrum like this, but an hour wasn’t too long. After a moment Joon’s voice could be heard down the hall.

“I’m slamming the door.” He stated, followed by the sound of the door closing. It wasn’t anywhere near a slam since Joon didn’t quite have the strength. Chan laughed, his head still laying back.

“Alright.” He spoke to the closed door.

Yeji turned her head to look at Chan. The pair, rather, the trio of Yeji, Chan, and Joon had been spending most of their time together. They had nearly established a routine. Chan would always wake up before the sun rose to make breakfast for him and Joon in the morning. Recently, Yeji had begun showing up around 10 A.M with breakfast to feed the three of them so that Chan could sleep in more. If they had class they would then drop Joon off at Hyeru’s dorm and go to class together. After class Yeji would go back to Chan’s dorm with him to help make dinner. Every once in a while Hyeru would join them for dinner, but it wasn’t too often.

It was the day before that they were given a rather large assignemnt. There was a full script that they were given to memorize and perform in a weeks time. Of course they had chosen to work together. Their classes for the next week, until the due date, were cancelled to allow for everyone to prepare so they could perform at their best. The pair had only briefly looked at the script though. At the current time, the task seemed to be too daunting and both were already tired from the endless long days of trainee life. Joon had even recently started getting an attitude with his dad whenever he didn't get what he wanted.

Chan assumed that Joon's bad attitude was the result of him not being home much, so Chan told himself he would spend a day or two hanging out with Joon in hopes that his arnger would subside a bit. Honestly, Chan wasn't entirely sure how to handle Joon's temper tantrums, so usually he just let Joon whine and complain without giving in. Being a parent on top of being a trainee was making Chan very tired.

“Oppa, where do you want to go eat tonight?” Yeji asked, scanning Chan’s face.

He opened his eyes and gazed up at the ceiling, “I don’t know.” He paused while he lifted his head. “Ah… this person I know owns a restaurant. We can go there.”

Yeji nodded and directed her attention to the blank TV screen. There was a moment of silence before Yeji spoke again.

“Kymin has been acting really weird lately.”

Chan turned his head to look at her , “Ah, really? Why?”

Yeji only shrugged her shoulders, “I don’t know. She has been gone from really early in the morning to really late at night.”

Chan laughed, “Oh. So that’s why you come here all the time. Your friend isn’t there for you to play with.”

Yeji turned to Chan with a pout and smacked his arm lightly, protesting.

“No~ I like being here with Joon and you.” Yeji smiled "Besides we are partners, right?"

Chan nodded and stood.

“You are right. Speaking of which, we should read over our scripts soon."

Yeji stood as wel, her face becoming a grimace. "Now? Can't we do it another time?"

Chan nodded, he didn't want to look at it now either, "I meant another time." He corrected.

Yeji nodded before Chan spoke again with a stretch, "Well, I need to go get ready. I have to get Mr. Grumpy ready too.”

Yeji nodded and began making her way towards the door.

“Alright. I will go change and come back.” She smiled and waved before heading  out the door.

“Ah~ That kid.” Chat his teeth before heading to his room to get changed.


Well

This is just a stupid little short filler chapter that hardly has anything to do with anything. (: