Chapter 9

✩Smoke and Mirrors✩

The group of idol trainees acted quickly upon entering the room. Heechul had rushed to the music player as soon as they entered the room. Taemin, Taesun, and Hyunsoo had already started clapping and moving towards the center of the dance studio by the time Heechul had re-joined the group. There were really no words to begin with, just excited clapping and cheers as the group naturally formed a half-circle against the mirror.

Chan was squatted down behind Joon, his arms wrapped around him as he clapped. He would occasionally take a hold of Joon’s arms and move them around in a sort of dance. The child was obviously thrilled, jumping, dancing, clapping, and laughing with the rest of the group.

Heechul had been in the middle to start, flailing his arms around crazily, and making more than a few exaggerated facial expressions toward the group. Taesun slowly made his way out, finding the feel of the music and dancing comfortably.

“Waa!” Kymin cheered, impressed by his dancing skills, before moving into the center of the circle with him. The pair danced separately moving around the inside of the circle.

Yeji nudged the two boys standing next to her, Hyunsoo on her left, and Chan on her right, and tried to get both to look closely at the dancing pair. Hyunsoo caught the look and couldn’t keep a smirk from forming on his face as he continued clapping with the others. He wasn’t sure why he hadn’t thought this before, but the two would really look good together.

Chan, on the other hand, didn’t quite understand the look. It wasn’t that he was focused on Taesun and Kymin dancing, because he was, but he had noticed something different. While the two moved throughout the open space, Taesun would consistently move quickly past Chan and Joon, and choose to spend his time dancing near others in the group. Chan couldn’t help but wonder why, since Taesun had also been giving him and Joon strange looks earlier.

Taesun and Kymin gradually moved out of the circle and Hyunsoo entered, dancing his heart out, spending some time dancing cutely near Joon. Joon loved it and danced happily in front of Chan. Hyunsoo suddenly held out his arms and Joon moved into them, the two now dancing together in the middle of the circle.

Joon ran from Hyunsoo and tugged on Hyeru’s arm, pulling her in the circle to dance as well. She laughed and obliged. She danced cutely with Hyunsoo and Joon for a moment before dancing seriously. She danced quite well, which was expected. She didn’t know any of these people and most likely wanted to make a good impression. There were “woo”s and other cheers from those who still remained a part of the circle.

Taemin began seriously dancing from his position on the circle, and soon it was simply a room of dancing people. Some time during the dancing Joon had tugged on Chan’s hand, and Chan picked him up, moving to another corner of the room. It was late, and Joon was tired. When Chan asked him if he wanted to go home, though, Joon shook his head and just snuggled into Chan’s lap, falling asleep. Chan was content just watching everyone else dance happily.

Yeji tugged Hyunsoo’s arm as they all danced and nodded her head towards Taesun and Kymin who were dancing with their backs facing each other.

“Let’s make them dance together.” Yeji spoke quietly enough that Hyunsoo would be the only one to hear.

Hyunsoo only nodded and the pair split, moving to dance near Taesun and Kymin. Yeji “casually” nudged Taesun so he would take a step backwards toward Kymin while Hyunsoo did the same thing to Kymin. It wasn’t perfect, but now as they danced their backsides would occasionally brush.

Hyunsoo laughed loudly and moved quickly away from Kymin and Taesun, not being able to keep his composure. It would most definitely take much more to make the two get closer, but this was good enough for now. When Yeji had pointed them out Hyunsoo had quickly dreamed up a scenario where Taesun was so occupied with a girlfriend, that he would stop nagging him in the dorm. Kymin was perfect….well….He wasn’t sure Kymin was perfect for Taesun, but she was close enough. It was even better that it seemed like Yeji had the same idea, they could be partners in crime – Or matchmaking, whichever made more sense. – and push the two together.

It was then that Hyunsoo took notice of Chan and Joon in the corner of the room. He looked at Joon asleep on Chan’s lap and moved to pick up something comfortable for Joon to lay on. There were some sitting pads on the other end of the room that were used for classes. Hyunsoo quickly moved over to them and picked up a few and then walked to Chan and Joon, setting them down.

“You can lay him down on here, Hyung.” Hyunsoo smiled at Chan.

Chan said a quiet thanks and shifted Joon onto the pads, taking off his light cardigan to put over top of the sleeping child. After looking at Joon a moment longer he walked back towards the group with Hyunsoo.

“My legs were starting to go numb. He’s not as small as he used to be” Chan laughed, Hyunsoo following suit.

When the two had made their way back to the pair, Taemin appeared to have a plan brewing.

“We can play this game that my members and I play… or we used to play.” He said, a large smile pushing up his cheeks.

Everyone quieted down, expecting some more explanation. When Taemin made no sign that he was going to say anything else Heechul spoke up.

“Ya. What’s the game? You were just going to stop talking?” He reached out and shook Taemin’s shoulder, pulling a slight laugh from both Yeji and Kymin. Taemin jumped slightly, allowing himself to be shaken by his sunbae.

“Ah. Sorry. We take a ball, or an item and write questions on it. Like questions that we would like to ask one another…” Taemin explained “…and then we throw the ball, or item, around. The person who catches it needs to answer the first question they say or they receive a punishment.”

Everyone looked around at each other, silently agreeing to the game. But there was a problem, they didn’t have a ball.

“Does anyone have something we can use?” Taesun asked, looking pointedly at Chan.

Chan shook his head, he had a ball back at his dorm, but it was Joon’s and he didn’t want to write all over it. Not to mention the dorm was kind of a far walk at the very moment.

“I have a ball.” Hyeru raised her hand and moved to the other side of the room, opening a cabinet that was against the wall and pulling out a blow-up beach ball.

When she returned back to the group Kymin unsuccessfully tried to hold back a giggle.

“Why is that here?” Kymin asked, pointing at the ball. Hyeru laughed and shrugged her shoulders.

“Honestly. I don’t know. A friend of mine put it in there a while ago, saying she was going to leave after training one day and go to the beach. She never did it, and the ball just kind of got left here.” Hyeru explained with light laughter.

Kymin shrugged her shoulders, “Good enough! Now we have a game! Taesun, blow it up.”

Taesun shot a quick glare at Kymin, but did as she said anyway. He retrieved the ball from Hyeru and blew it up. Once he sealed up the air hole he through it at Kymin.

“Don’t tell me what to do.” He smiled at her. He was serious, but he wasn’t mad. He was unsure of what kind of facial expression would tell her that, so he went with a smile. Kymin pulled her eyebrows together for a second, confused, but then nodded and proceeded to write on the ball. She had pulled a permanent marker from her nearby bag, and after writing a question, passed the ball to the next person to write something.

“Alright.” Taemin passed the ball back to Kymin after he wrote his question. “So then just toss the ball to someone, and they need to answer one of the questions.”

“Wait.” Yeji stopped Kymin right before she threw the ball. “What is the punishment?” She asked, turning her neck to look directly at her brother.

His eyes widened and he looked around the circle for help. Heechul spoke up easily.

“Sing.” Everyones eyes moved to him.

“Sing?” Kymin asked, “Why singing?”

Heechul began to look quite proud of himself as he explained, “Well it can be pretty embarrassing, and you are all trainees so you all need to get over that.”

“Ah.” Yeji nodded “So…. The punishment will be to help us too?”

Heechul nodded and Yeji continued, “But I don’t sing. I act.”

“Then act like a singer.” Heechul quickly retorted and Yeji shrunk back with a pout, unable to respond.

Taemin clapped his hands.

“Alright! Let’s Go~!”

Kymin threw the ball and it landed in Taesun’s hands. Taesun looked down, reading the question out loud.

“What was the most fun thing you have ever done?” 


I'm sorry!

This chapter is really not that good at all. I will be updating again soon though. This chapter is just kind of a filler

to get to the next thing I want to write, so please excuse the crappyness of this chapter.