Chapter 6

✩Smoke and Mirrors✩

“Oppa!” Yeji took off at a run/skip towards Chan who was just closing the door to his dorm. He turned his head and looked at her with a raised brow. He rotated his entire body so that he was fully facing her and waited for her to reach him. Without even looking tired she started talking.

“I just ran into our Teacher on my way back to my dorm - I went out to lunch with some friends - and he stopped me. So naturally, I was really confused what he needed to say. And then he said that we did really well with our reading. You remember? The one where it was the girl and her older brother? The one we did today? He said that he is putting me in the advanced class, and he told me to tell you that you are being put in advanced too. Isn’t that great?”

She was nearly bouncing as she spoke, her sentences running into each other. It took nearly all of Chan’s focus to make out her words. Once it sunk in a smile spread across his face, reaching his eyes.

“Really? That’s great!”

Yeji gasped, and Chan’s expression changed instantly. “What?” He asked

“It’s not just great. It’s amazing! That means we got put into advanced after our first class. That means we are good. They see potential in us. They like us! Maybe we will even debut early! This is great!” Yeji rambled again “Then I could meet idols! Like B.A.P……..Oh my god I need to tell my brother!” She fished her phone out of her pocket and began touching the screen, looking for her brother’s phone number.

Chan just watched, his confusion turning quickly into amusement. Yeji had really changed a lot over the last few weeks that they knew each other. The two had started out comfortably, and that lead into them becoming more comfortable with each other quickly. Yeji’s true personality shined when she was around Chan, and it nearly emused him to death. Her awkward and somewhat cold demeanor warped into a passionate, hyperactive, and overall cheerful one. He smiled at her as she put the phone to her face, calling her brother.

He figured he would just wait for her to finish before he left, besides, she was entertaining.

“Taemin! I got put into advanced!” She spoke into the phone, excitement still clear on her face.

“Yeah. Teacher told me early. Maybe I will debut soon!”

Chan could hear laugher through the phone. He wondered why she had the volume so loud. Didn’t it hurt her ears? He watched as her smile fell.

“Oh. Alright. I’ll talk to you later then.” She hung up the phone. Chan stepped up to her and placed a hand on her head and smiled down at her.

“SHINee is at a schedule.” It was meant as a statement but Yeji looked up at Chan with a pout and a nod. Chan chuckled and moved his hand from her head to her shoulder before gesturing to his door.

“Do you want to tell Joon? I’m sure he will be happy for you….or…us.”

Yeji’s face lit up immediately. She had only recently met Chan’s son, but she already loved the child to pieces. Chan removed his hand from her shoulder and punched in his electronic code, opening the door to reveal a confused looking foreigner and bright-eyed Joon staring at them.

“Dad!” Joon hopped up from his seated position and took off at a run towards Chan, the foreigner taking his time standing. Chan picket him up and planted a kiss on his forehead.

“Hi Luis!” Yeji said, stepping into the dorm behind Chan. Lous smiled and waved his greeting before turning in Chan’s direction.

“I thought you were going to the gym.” Luis stated, moving aside so Chan could sit on the couch. Chan nodded.

“I was going to, then Yeji came running up with something to tell me. I’m sorry for calling you and asking you to watch Joon, since I’m not going anywhere.”

Luis shrugged, telling Chan that he didn’t mind. After the three had settled into a comfortable sitting position Yeji turned her head and bent down to look into Joon’s face.

“Joonie. I have news for you.” She smiled as Joon scooted closer to her, excited for the news.

“Your dad and I are in advanced class now.” She ruffled Joon’s hair as Luis looked at Chan with a confused look on his face.

Joon simply blinked, not understanding what that meant. Yeji giggled softly.

“Our teacher said that we are really good and he rewarded us by putting us in a special class.” She elaborated.

A smile brightened up Joon’s face before he hopped up and wrapped his arms around Yeji’s neck.

“You did good.” He said loudly, earning laughs from Yeji, Luis and Chan. Luis turned to Yeji.

“You guys are really in advanced?” He questioned, to which Chan nodded. Yeji quickly became distracted by Joon, choosing to play with him, over the conversation that was starting.

“That’s great, Hyung! I just had my Presence class yesterday, I’m in Average, at least it’s not Below Average.”

Chan laughed, stealing a glance at Joon and Yeji. “That’s true. Average isn’t a bad thing. It just means that you are good at learning in groups.”

Luis nodded before he stood, straightening his clothes.

“Well I better go, if you’re not going to the fitness center, there’s no need for me to be here. I have to study for class tomorrow anyway.”

Chan nodded his understanding, standing and bowing his head towards Luis who waved as he made his way out of the door. Yeji looked up from the intense Rock, Paper, Scissors game she was having with Joon.

“Why was Luis here? I thought the neighbor watched Joonie for you.” She asked.

Chan seated himself back onto the couch and watched Joon stare up at Yeji happily.

“She is at a class now.”

Yeji nodded, adjusting her sitting position.

“What is she training for?”

“She is an idol trainee. She had Dance this afternoon.” Chan responded.

Yeji laid back, but as soon as she did so her phone rang. She pulled it from her pocket, not moving from her laying position. Joon stood and suffled over to Chan before crawling onto his lap and reaching for the TV remote.

“Hello? Kymin?”

Yeji was silent for a bit as Kymin spoke.

“Tonight? Both of them?” Yeji glanced at Chan as she paused to allow Kymin to speak over the phone again.

“Oppa. There’s a recording soon, My brother is going to be there. Kymin’s brother invited us. Do you want to go?” Yeji directed the question at Chan who looked at the clock before shrugging.

“I’ll need to ask Hyeru if she can watch Joon, we will probably be there too late for him to come.” He responded.

Yeji nodded and returned to the phone, talking to Kymin. Chan moved Joon from his lap and stood.

“Joon, stay here with Yeji. I’ll be right back.”

Chan made his way out of his dorm and down the hall where he knocked on Hyeru’s door. There was no response so Chan figured she was still in her class, or she was practicing. He turned to make his way back to his dorm when he saw her walking down the hallway.

When Hyeru saw him she smiled and waved.

“Hi Chan. What’s going on?”

He smiled back at he and took a couple steps toward her as she slowed down.

“Yeji’s brother invited us to a recording for one of the music programs, I wanted to know if you could watch Joon while I’m gone.”

He took a look at the sneakers and duffel bag she was carrying.

“ah. Nevermind. You must be tired. I’ll stay back.” He smiled “I should practice anyway.”

She shook her head.

“No no. I can watch him. It’s fine. I love Joonie.” She responded, her smile faltering a bit.

Chan laughed and shook his head, disagreeing with her.

“No. You need to rest. I shouldn’t have asked.”

Hyeru scrunched up her face slightly in disapproval. Recently Chan has taken to mothering her slightly. Whenever she watched Joon for him he would always return back with food and insist on cooking dinner for her as thanks, telling her that she needed to eat a lot because of all the exercising she did.

“Fine.” She gave in “But can I at least come and play with Joon later?”

Chan shrugged, agreeing.

“I don’t see a problem with that. I’ll cook dinner then.”

He smiled at her and turned before she could respond. Chan punched in the electronic code and opened the room to the dorm, smiling softly at Yeji lying on the floor, with Joon positioned on her stomach. She had her phone out and appeared to be taking a selca, judging from the wide smiles on both her and Joon’s face.

Chan continued into the room stopping near the pair.

“Yeji, I don’t think I’m going to go. Go have fun with your friend, Kymin, and your brother.” He smiled and Yeji pouted.

“But Chan-Opp-“

Chan interrupted her.

“Don’t pout Yeji. You will get wrinkles.”

Yeji’s pout was replaced by a scowl as she moved Joon off of her and stood up.

“Alright, Appa. Whatever you say.”

Chan chuckled at her words and she stepped forward and gave him a hug, which he returned.

“I have to go now. I’ll see you tomorrow though.”

She made her way to the door, waving goodbye to Joon before stepping out. Chan quickly made his way into the kitchen to prepare dinner.

“Joon. Guess who is coming over.” Chan asked


Another Double Update!!!

Also, we have a cameo in this chapter (Luis Choi - smokygirl)!!! Yeyy!