Chapter 16

✩Smoke and Mirrors✩

Haeri’s strange attitude didn’t change once. Hyunsoo met him in the dance studio that he had never been in before and it was silent. Only Haeri stood in the room. The two stood around silently until a man entered the room. Haeri didn’t say anything so Hyunsoo only followed suit, feeling too awkward to try and say anything. When the man entered both boys bowed in greeting, but still said nothing. The man introduced himself as their manager right before another person entered, introducing himself as their choreographer. They were informed that the dance studio they were in along with the adjacent recording studio was exclusively theirs and that this is where they would be practicing from then on.

The choreographer introduced them to their debut title song and got them started on their choreography right away. Over the next few hours they learned and practiced the dance diligently. The two were covered in sweat by the time their choreographer told them they could take a short break. Haeri moved to a chair against the wall and picked up his water bottle, taking a long drink. Hyunsoo collapsed onto the floor, breathing heavily.

“Let’s run it again before he comes back.” Haeri wiped his forehead and moved back to stand in front of the mirror, glancing down at Hyunsoo. Hyunsoo groaned.

“Really? We can’t just take a break. We have been doing this for hours.” He closed his eyes, perfectly comfortable on the floor. His legs were aching, and he definitely didn’t want to have to stand on them again until he had to. Haeri his teeth and looked back at himself in the mirror.

“CEO-nim expects me to debut with someone who really doesn’t want to work hard. Is he crazy?” Haeri didn’t bother lowering his tone even though he was only talking to himself.

Hyunsoo opened both his eyes. He really didn’t know anything about Heri, but he was beginning to feel quite annoyed by this attitude he seemed to have. Hyunsoo hated people telling him what to do. Even though Kymin, Yeji and Taesun frequently told him what to do, it wasn’t ever something that he didn’t have to do.

“I am working hard. I am taking a break so that I can continue to work hard. What is with – “ Hyunsoo was cut off by the buzzing of his phone against the wood flooring. Without checking the caller ID he picked it up and held it against his ear.

“Hello?” Hyunsoo glared at Haeri who had begun dancing through the choreography.

“Hyunsoo, are you ready to meet? I’m at the noraebang.”

Hyunsoo pulled his phone away from his ear to look at the name on the screen. He frowned as he read ‘ Taesun Hyung’. He put his phone back against his ear.

“Ah. Hyung. I’m sorry. I can’t. I’m rehersing right now. We’ve only been given a half hour break. We can go tomorrow right?” Hyunsoo pouted.

He had completely forgotten that he was supposed to meet up with Taesun. He was so absorbed in all of the information that was recently thrown at him that it honestly slipped his mind. Hyunsoo felt sorry as he remembered but there wasn’t anything he could do.

“Oh. It’s okay. I didn’t give you a time or contact you at all anyway. I’ll just call Yeji and Kymin.” Taesun replied.

Hyunsoo muttered a short ‘Okay’ before Taesun spoke again.

“Work hard, okay? Bye.”

Taesun hung up the phone before Hyunsoo could answer. He looked around the room. Taesun was already seated in the karaoke room, thinking that he would just wait for Hyunsoo to show up. He sighed, thinking that Hyunsoo would be very busy from now on. Taesun hadn’t quite let it sink in that he wouldn’t be seeing Hyunsoo as often as he did before yet. After his class he had only stopped back at the dorm for an hour to shower and change before leaving directly to karaoke.

He sat back and pressed the button on the side of his phone, lighting up the screen. He dialed Yeji’s number and held the phone up to his ear as he waited for an answer.

“Taesun!” Yeji’s voice greeted him through the speaker of his phone.

“Noona.” He greeted “What are you and Kymin-ah doing?”

There was some rustling on the other end of the phone before Yeji answered.

“Kymin just got home. We were trying to decide what to eat” she paused “ or even do tonight. Why? Where are you?”

Taesun leaned forward and put his elbows on his knees.

“Noraebang. Wanna come?” He asked.

The girls agreed easily and Taesun decided they would go eat something afterwards. He gave them the address and hung up the phone. It didn’t take them long to show up, but when they did Kymin’s expression changed instantly.

“Oppa. Where is Hyunsoo?” She asked, looking around the room.

Taesun sighed again, he was going to run out of air if he kept pushing it out of his body like that.

“He didn’t tell you? CEO-nim has his preparing for debut. He’s rehearsing right now.” Taesun stood up and picked up one of the microphones. He really didn’t want to talk about it anymore, Hyunsoo wasn’t here and he wasn’t going to show up any time soon. Kymin let out a breathy ‘ah..’ as she nodded, moving towards Taesun and picking up a second microphone.

Yeji on the other hand looked overly excited. Taesun raised an eyebrow in her direction.

“Why do you look so happy?”

Yeji beamed and bounced in Taesun’s direction, enveloping him in a tight hug.

“I haven’t seen you in months!”

Taesun grimaced and pushed her lightly off of him, laughing only when they were no longer touching. Yeji picked up the song book and scanned through it, yelling out songs that she wanted to play.

The three sang and danced happily for a while. Yeji had gotten beer for the three to share while they played. Yeji bounced around, singing off key, but still enjoying herself. Taesun was dancing behind her, throwing in words every once in a while. Kymin only sat, watching the two and drinking beer. When the song ended Kymin stood.

“I don’t feel well. I don’t think I slept enough last night. I think I am going to go back to the dorm.” She announced just as Yeji picked up the song book again.

Both Yeji and Taesun watched Kymin for a minute after she spoke. Taesun was the first to answer.

“Alright. You need to stay healthy…” He paused, “I’ll send Yeji home with some food for you then…later.”

Yeji only nodded her agreement, watching Kymin pick up her bag and hurry out of the room.

In all reality, Kymin just couldn’t get Hyunsoo off her mind. The only reason she had agreed to go to karaoke with Taesun and Yeji was because she thought Hyunsoo would be there too. She really wanted to talk to him about the other night. When Taesun said that Hyunsoo was preparing for debut Kymin felt a huge weight on her body. If he was preparing for debut then wouldn’t he be busy? It would be hard to meet him if he was always busy.

Kymin rushed back to the company building, stopping once she was inside the doors. She wasn’t sure what she was doing. She had no idea where he was, so she was going to do what? Search the entire building? She looked up at the large clock that hung on the wall. 9:30 PM. If she couldn’t find where he was rehearsing then maybe she would run into him on the way out.

She took off at a run, stopping at every door to peek through the small window. Whenever she reached a door her heartbeat would speed up only to slow down when she didn’t see him. After she had looked in every room on the first floor she stood near the elevator, staring down the hall. She couldn’t find him anywhere. Perhaps it was for the best though, she didn’t even know what she would have said if she did find him.

She turned around to look at the elevator when she heard it ‘ding’. Three trainees stepped out of it, walking straight past Kymin without a word. Kymin rushed forward into the elevator before the doors closed. If trainees came off of the elevator then there must be more studios on the second floor. Kymin pressed the button and smacked herself mentally. Of course there would be studios on the second floor, this was an entertainment company after all.

She stepped out of the elevator and walked up to the first door on her right, peeking through the glass. The nervous thumping in her chest didn’t slow down this time. Hyunsoo was in this room. Now that she had seen him Kymin was nearly frozen in her place. He was in the room dancing with who she could only guess was his new member. She looked at the door handle but couldn’t will her hand to open. She directed her gaze back to Hyunsoo through the glass. Now that she found him, could she really do nothing but watch?


Okie Dokie

This chapter is probably gonna be it for tonight. Chances are I am going to update again tomorrow (I'm on a roll) so tell me what you guys are thinking so far.

What do you think is going to happen? What do you think is going on with our lovely Chan and Joonie that we haven't heard of in a while? How do you think Taesun is gonna handle Hyunsoo being gone? Are Hyunsoo and Haeri going to get along?