Chapter 13

✩Smoke and Mirrors✩

To say that the hookup was a failure would be an understatement. Yeji and Hyunsoo weren’t nearly as sneaky as they thought they were. Kymin had found out as soon as they had tried to secretly set them up on a date. Yeji thought the plan was brilliant. She told Kymin that she was going to be home late from class, and that she wanted her to cook for them. Hyunsoo told Taesun that the girls were in some sort of trouble and that Taesun had to go over there right away.

Needless to say, Yeji got a quick phone call, telling her to return to the dorm and to bring Hyunsoo with her. Kymin scolded the both of them for meddling in her personal life and everyone quickly let the situation drop. Yeji would have continued trying to push the two together but everyone had become very busy, very quickly. It wasn’t often that Yeji would even see Hyunsoo, she was always either in class or training with Chan.

Everybody was busy in classes and training. Now that they were no longer new trainees everyone was feeling the pressure. Their trainers expected more from them, and their standards were much harder to meet. At first they all struggled to keep up, having been unaccustomed to working so hard, fluctuating between Advanced, Average and Below Average classes. For a few months they struggled, but gradually they found their specific routines.

Kymin spent a great deal of time with Taesun and Hyunsoo. Between the three of them there was great artistic chemistry. Taesun was an excellent all-around performer, but really shined when he danced. Hyunsoo’s rap was fantastic, and Kymin was a great singer. When the three trained together they were able to cover each other’s weak points. Kymin managed to maintain her place in Average classes across the board. Taesun found his comfort in two Advanced Classes – Singing and Dance - , one Average Class – Rap-, and one Below Average Class; Presence.

Hyunsoo quickly rose up, falling into all Advanced Classes except one, singing. After only 9 months of being a trainee he had the CEO watching him. Hyunsoo being watched put the who group on edge, though. It could mean one of two things: 1, that the CEO was looking to have Hyunsoo prepare for debut, or 2, that the CEO was looking to see whether or not to keep Hyunsoo in the company.This made the three work even harder. They would stay up late into the night practicing in one of the dance or recording studios.

“I have to go to sleep. It’s already 4 A.M. I have Presence Class tomorrow” Taesun paused to check the clock, “…or today, rather.”He corrected, lifting himself from the floor of the dance studio and looking to his side at Kymin and Hyunsoo who remained lying down, looking up at the ceiling.

Taesun stood and gathered his things, Hyunsoo and Kymin finally sitting up and acknowledging him.

“Alright, Hyung. Are they switching classes tomorrow” Hyunsoo asked, lifting the hem of his t-shirt to wipe sweat off of his face.

Taesun nodded, “Yeah. That’s why I need to sleep. We are doing mock interviews. Goodnight.” Taesun walked through the door, Hyunsoo and Kymin calling ‘goodnight’ after him.

After Taesun left Hyunsoo and Kymin sat in silence. Sweat still dripped from Hyunsoo’s hair, and Kymin was still breathing heavily. They had been in the studio since 8 at night, focusing primarily on Kymin’s dancing. She had a tendency to forget moves, or to trip over herself while she danced, so they agreed to dance. Hyunsoo had been working twice as hard, trying to keep everyone around him impressed. More importantly, he wanted to impress the CEO.

“Do you think I’m going to start preparing for debut?” Hyunsoo looked at Kymin through the mirror in front of them.

Recently he had been so worried. This was his dream, and to think that it might be happening so quickly was incredibly stressful. He was excited, that’s for sure, but worry was definitely at the forefront of his emotions. Before he had been accepted as a trainee he got in a large fight with his father. He didn’t want Hyunsoo to even try becoming a singer. He said that there was no guarantee that he would be successful, and if he wasn’t then he would have nothing else to do. If the CEO was looking at Hyunsoo to prepare him for debut, he needed to make sure that he would prove his father wrong and make him proud.

Kymin turned her head to look at Hyunsoo directly, inspecting the expression on his face. She sighed and laid back down.

“Stop worrying. It’s not a good expression for you.” She closed her eyes.

She was nearly positive that Hyunsoo was going to prepare for debut. She couldn’t help but feel jealous, though. Hyunsoo stood up and stood over Kymin, a small smile on his face. He remained in that position, hovering over Kymin, until she opened her eyes and finally acknowledged him. She scowled at his close proximity. Despite her telling him to respect her personal space since the time she clogged the toilet, he never listened, leaving her to just get used to it.

“What?” She asked, looking up at Hyunsoo’s smirking face.

“You are jealous.” He stated, his smirk growing wider.

Kymin’s scowl deepened. She was far too tired for his teasing. She sat up, bringing their faces closer together. She opened to speak, but couldn’t come up with a response. Hyunsoo’s smirk grew even more.

“If you’re not jealous then……do you like me?” Hyunsoo held his position, his eyes shining.

Kymin placed her palms on his chest and pushed him away from her, taking the fast opportunity to stand. She opened and closed a few times, taken completely off guard. Liking Hyunsoo wasn’t even a thought in her mind, and he brought it up out of nowhere. She got angry, still tongue-tied from the shock. Who said things like that? Kymin huffed.

“Ya!” she poked him in the chest angrily but froze the second her finger came in contact with Hyunsoo’s body.

Her face heated up as she mentally cursed Hyunsoo for saying something so careless. It was his fault that she was now having such strange thoughts. The months of vigorous dancing had really made a big change to Hyunsoo’s body. Hyunsoo was muscular before, but Kymin noticed that his muscles had become a lot more firm when she touched his chest.

Kymin turned quickly, gathering her things and making her way towards the door.

“I don’t know what you are saying” She called over her shoulder in German.

Kymin rushed back to her dorm, fighting back her blush along the way. She was completely astonished how easily these thoughts entered into her mind. She hadn’t once thought about Hyunsoo in such a way before and all of a sudden she was looking at him in a whole new light. Kymin rapidly punched in the electronic code to her dorm and entered, startling Yeji who sat on the couch, script in hand.

“Oh. Kymin. It’s you.” Yeji greeted, watching as Kymin entered the living room. “Why is your face red?” Her eyes narrowed as she looked at Kymin’s face.

Kymin simply threw herself down onto the couch next to Yeji, deciding not to respond. Yeji studied Kymin’s face a minute longer before placing her script on the coffee table and facing her completely.

“What did Hyunsoo do?”

Kymin looked at Yeji, her brows knit together, “What? How would you know if Hyunsoo did anything?”

Yeji sat back with a confident smile, tapping her temple with her index finger.

“Please, you have been complaining about him for the last 6 months. You keep saying that he doesn’t respect your personal space. He never gets any closer to you that I do.” Yeji looked at Kymin from the corner of her eyes, “If you ask me, it was only a matter of time that he did something to make you realize you like him.”

Kymin jumped up from her spot on the couch, pointing a finger at Yeji.

“Never~. He is always too close, with the hugs all the time, and today he even put his face really close to mine.” Kymin huffed “And I don’t like him. He just….” She paused, lowering her hand “….got too close.”

Yeji still sat on the couch, looking up at Kymin with a raised eyebrow and a smile. She nodded her head slowly, her smile growing bigger. Kymin stomped her foot and pushed out her cheeks.

“Fine. Don’t believe me.” She grumbled before she stomped off into her room.

Kymin settled into her bed, not bothering to change out of her her sweaty training clothes. How is it that two people can tell her that she likes Hyunsoo all in one day? Really, she never even thought about him in such a way. On second thought, the day he had come over to help her fix the toilet, she remembered getting embarrassed when he hugged her. Kymin let out an annoyed whine and reached for her phone that she had left sitting on the bedside table. Honestly, she was beginning to think she actually liked him all along. Her plan was to ask her brother, if he didn’t notice anything then it wasn’t true.

When she the display for her phone a message popped up. She opened it to find that it was from Hyunsoo. It was a simple text ‘are you mad at me?’ with a frowny face at the end. Kymin closed it without responding. She didn’t even know how she would go about talking to Hyunsoo at the moment. Instead she dialed her brother’s number, waiting as it rang.

“Please pick up oppa…” She mumbled

“Hello? Kymin?” Heechul’s voice met Kymin’s ears.

Her plan of action changed dramatically the second she heard Heechul’s voice. She felt tears begin to prick the back of her eyes.

“Oppa~” she wined as her vision blurred. There was a moment of silence before she heard the sound of a door closing, followed by Heechul’s voice.

“Ya. Little sister. What happened?” He asked, his voice was rushed.

“Can we meet?” Kymin asked. She raised her head to look at the ceiling, blinking back her tears before they fell. Originally she was just going to talk to him over the phone, but somehow when she heard his voice she became much more confused about the situation. She wanted to talk to him in person.

“Can you come here?” Heechul asked.

Kymin nodded, even though it wasn’t a video call and he couldn’t see her. Super Junior’s dorm wasn’t too far, just a half-hour walk.

“You won’t fall asleep?” She responded, already getting up and looking for a jacket. Christmas would be coming soon, it was the wrong weather to go anywhere without at least a jacket.

“Stop responding to my questions with questions. So annoying.” Heechul scolded “Yes. I’ll still be awake. Everyone else except for Kyuhyun is sleeping.”

Without saying goodbye Kymin hung up the phone and stuffed it in her jacket pocket.


Wait. What?!?

Sorry if the story just seemed a little bit rushed just now. I got a little burdened trying to make it progress slowly.

So I did a little time skip and....make some stuff happen. I hope you find it interesting or fun and not weird.

I promise. It's going to be exciting from here on out. <3