Chapter 12

✩Smoke and Mirrors✩

Hyunsoo was the first to perform his rap. His body was full of confidence when the trainer told him to enter the recording booth. There was nothing but relaxation, bouncing his body from side to side as he rapped. He would point and smile at the rest of his class that were watching him on the other side of the glass. He performed, he didn’t just record. It was almost as if he were already an idol, who had performed a dozen times. He could see a smile appearing on the trainer’s face as he watched, adjusting a few things with the music track as Hyunsoo rapped. Hyunsoo finished coolly with a smile and stood still for a moment, watching the soundless clapping through the soundproof glass.

The trainer’s voice appeared in the headphones he had on his head.

“You did excellent Hyunsoo. Good job. You can come out now.” His trainer praised.

Hyunsoo bowed and exited the recording booth, holding the door open for the next person. Daeun and a second girl were waving excitedly to him and gesturing to an open seat in between them. Hyunsoo made his way over and sat, preparing to listen to the next trainee.

“Uwa! Oppa you were so good!” Daeun exclaimed from his left.

He turned his eyes from the glass and looked at Daeun with a smile and a ‘thanks’. He found it kind of funny that no matter how much he told her not to call him ‘oppa’ she always did it anyway. Of course, she wasn’t the first older girl that insisted on referring to him like that, but Daeun was so blunt about it. Despite not really liking to spend a lot of the time with the girls that idolized him, he didn’t mind being around Daeun. While she would constantly behave like an ajumma in the presence of a young attractive idol, Hyunsoo found her charming. Though, he was sure she wouldn’t like to hear it, Daeun made him feel like he was with a little sister the way she was so easily excited.

Both Daeun and Hyunsoo turned back to the performing trainee and watched happily. Hyunsoo really enjoyed classes like this where everyone would perform. It was fun watching the trainees specifically because in each person you could see the talent, even though most of the time each person needed some polishing. Most people refer to raw talent as something close to perfection in a person who has never trained; but that really wasn’t the case. Raw talent was what each trainee in the company had.

The girl in the booth was an excellent rapper. Her lyrics were unique and had a great flow, but she tripped over the words a few times. One second her rap would be smooth and precise and she looked confident behind the microphone, then she would stumble slightly over the words and she would become flustered. To Hyunsoo that imperfection is what ‘raw talent’ was, and he loved it. He watched each trainee in his class enter the booth and perform their original raps without once getting bored. Even when the trainer excused everyone from the studio and left, Hyunsoo took his time preparing to leave. He stood slowly from his seat and picked up the paper with his rap on it then looked back at the two girls.

 “Oppa. Do you want to get lunch?” The girl seated on Hyunsoo’s right asked as she gathered her hoodie and bag from her seat.

Hyunsoo nodded with a smile, and Daeun jumped slightly, skipping around Hyunsoo to latch herself onto the dark-haired girls arm. Hyunsoo was never one to turn down food.

“Ah. Jas Unnie. Can we get patbingsu?” Daeun looked at the dark-haired girl, Jasper, with wide eyes and a pout. Hyunsoo chuckled and began making his way to the door, in hopes the girls would follow him. The way Daeun would use aegyo in any situation struck Hyunsoo as funny, and added to the reasons he considered her a friend. Trying to follow Hyunsoo’s example and leave the studio Jasper was burdened with Daeun who was still firmly attached to her arm, the puppy dog eyes unchanged. Jasper sighed looked to Hyunsoo, who waited near the door, for approval. Hyunsoo laughed at Jaspers situation and shrugged his shoulders.

“Whatever my noona’s want.” He replied with a smile, opening the door and stepping out.

Daeun celebrated behind Hyunsoo’s back, happy that she was getting patbingsu. Jasper sighed, prying the jumping Daeun off of her arm so she could follow Hyunsoo out the door. She wanted to leave the studio. They were the last ones left in the room, and a new class could be coming in any minute. Without Daeun’s weight on her arm Jasper was finally free to walk comfortably out of the room. She let the door close behind her as she fell into step with Hyunsoo. She was sure Daeun would be finished with her celebratory dance soon so she simply walked slowly. Jasper and Hyunsoo casually discussed where they could get patbingsu from as they got closer and closer to the exit. Daeun, having finished her small celebration had to run to catch up them. As she came up on Hyunsoo’s left side she pouted.

“Don’t call me noona, oppa.”

Jasper laughed out loud,”Now that’s an interesting sentence.”

Hyunsoo laughed a little with Jasper, the three now exiting the company and making their way down the street. And there it was, another reason why he considered Daeun a friend. He had called her noona long enough ago that it could have been left alone. But here she was, responding incredibly late to something he said.

“Ya. Daeun noona” he emphasized the word “You are older than me. I’ll stop calling you noona if you stop calling me oppa.” There was a moment where he considered turning it into a bet, but decided against it.

Daeun made a face, but nodded anyway.

“Fine.” She huffed and walked silently with Jasper and Hyunsoo until she spotted a familiar looking building. She grabbed onto Hyunsoo’s arm tightly and started jumping and pointing.

“Ah. Ah. There. It’s delicious there.” She grinned and began lightly tugging on Hyunsoo’s arm in an attempt to lead them in the direction she wanted to go.

Jasper shook her head and followed the two to the shop. Hyunsoo could only laugh being led away like that. Sometimes Daeun really game him the feeling of being with a little sister.

The three sat and ordered what they wanted, Daeun having more than enough excitement, causing Jasper to have to tell her to calm down. They talked and joked with each other, taking a few selcas while they ate. Hyunsoo considered Jasper and Daeun to be friends of his, despite how strange they could be at times (More Daeun than Jasper). He was genuinely enjoying himself spending time with the two. He flipped through the apps on his phone and selected the camera app, waving the girls over to him. He extended his arm so that the camera could capture all three of them. After pressing the capture button his phone rang.

“Ah. Kymin.” Hyunsoo observed, reading the caller ID. He quickly picked up the call as Jasper and Daeun moved slowly back to their seats.

“Hi, noona.” Hyunsoo answered cheerfully, his expression changed quickly though. Kymin was loud on the other line and both girls looked at each other, curious as to what was happening.

“What happened?” Hyunsoo stood, nodding with his phone against his ear.

“Alright. I’m on my way.”

He hung up the phone and faced the two girls, bowing and apologizing repetitively.

“I’m really sorry. I have to go.”

He reached in his back pocket to retrieve some money but Jasper held up a hand to stop him.

“I’ll pay Hunsoo. Go.” She smiled and he bowed again before rushing out of the shop.

He pulled out his phone and dialed Kymin’s number as he jogged down the street towards the dorms cursing when she didn’t answer. Hyunsoo tucked his phone back into his pocket and took off at a run. Kymin had sounded do distressed over the phone that he was sure something bad happened. She didn’t really explain, but he was worried.

He ran through the doors of the dorm building and ran up the stairs instead of taking the elevator. Hyunsoo didn’t stop running until he reached Kymin and Yeji’s door. With his back bent and one hand on his knee, Hyunsoo knocked. Kymin answered the door quickly and a surprised expression washed over her face as she looked at Hyunsoo panting in front of her door.

“Hyunsoo… Did you run here?” She asked, moving aside so he could enter.

Still panting, Hyunsoo couldn’t answer with anything more than a nod as he walked past her and laid down on the floor. Kymin kneeled next to him, still looking at him surprised.

“You didn’t have to run.” She glanced quickly at the hallway.

Hyunsoo shook his head, finally regaining his breath and sat up, “You sounded like you really needed me. What happ-“

Kymin jumped up and started running down the hall, turning at one of the doors and opening it slowly.

“Ah…. What do I do?”

Hyunsoo slowly stood up and followed her, now entirely confused. When she had called he thought she might have been hurt. It sounded like there had been a fire, or maybe she had cut herself while cooking. He knew Yeji was in a class, so Kymin was home alone. But she didn’t look hurt at all, so now he wondered what was so urgent. Kymin rose up onto her toes as she stepped closer to the door and Hyunsoo froze.

“You didn’t.” He spoke, looking at Kymin with a horrified expression. She looked back, a strained smile spreading across her face.

“Well. I called Taesun oppa and he reminded me that you just did this a couple weeks ago. I was hoping you could fix it.” She opened the door and stepped into the room, leaving Hyunsoo in the hallway.

Hyunsoo rubbed a hand down his face. From where he stood he could already see the water that was leaking into the hallway. There goes the idea that girls never use the bathroom. He placed a hand on the wall and pulled off his socks, taking the time to cuff up his jeans for good measure. He left patbingsu for another clogged toilet.

“You know, Taesun fixed it for me last time.” Hyunsoo stated and he tip-toed into the bathroom to see Kymin on her toes bent over the toilet, plunger in both hands. He put a hand over his mouth to stifle any stray chuckles. Kymin placed the plunger into the toilet bowl and rose up even more onto her toes, trying to push it down. Hyunsoo didn’t hold back his laughter this time and Kymin looked up at him with a pout.

“Stop! Yeji unnie is going to kill me if I don’t fix it.” She tried pushing the plunger down a second time, failing and quickly giving up. She stepped back, narrowing her eyes at the handle of the plunger that stuck out of the bowl. “You really can’t help?” She asked turning her attention to Hyunsoo.

“Noona. Really. You should have had Taesun hyung come over. I didn’t fix it last time. He did.”

Hyunsoo stepped up to the toilet and took a hold of the plunger, pushing down on it, then pulling back up. He jumped back and clapped, dropping the plunger onto the floor, when the toilet made a flushing sound. He turned to Kymin and wrapped his arms around her, lifting her up. Spinning he cheered, “Noona! I fixed it! I’m a real man.”

Kymin’s eyes were wide as she started to beat on Hyunsoo’s arm. Sure they were close, but this kind of hugging was pretty much reserved for lovers.

“Ya! Put me down. Are you crazy?!?” Kymin continued to beat Hyunsoo’s arm until he stopped celebrating and placed her back down on the wet floor. He stared at her confused.

“What did I do? I just fixed your toilet. How did you clog it anyway?” Hyunsoo asked, sniffing the air.

Kymin could feel the heat rising in her face as she watched Hyunsoo smell the air as if there would be a tell-tale smell. Frantically she placed both hands on Hyunsoo’s chest and pushed him towards the bathroom door.

“Alright, alright. Let’s not be in here anymore? Please? I only flushed a bunch of toilet paper.” She admitted, successfully getting Hyunsoo to back out of the bathroom and into the hallway. After she closed the bathroom door behind her she stuck her hands on her hips.

“Don’t pick me up like that again, Hyunsoo.”

Hyunsoo only laughed at Kymin’s demand and wrapped and arm around her shoulder.

“You are funny, noona.”

Kymin frowned at Hyunsoo. Since when was he so free with skinship? She walked out from upder Hyunsoo's arm and made her way into the kitchen.

"Are you hungry? I can make ramyun" Kymin stepped around the counter and started pulling out the things she needed to make ramyun.

Hyunsoo stepped into the living room and plopped himself down onto the couch, pulling out his cellphone.

"I'll call hyung. We can eat together." Hyunsoo smiled to himself as he sent a quick text to Yeji, telling her that he was going to try and get Kymin and Taesun alone. 


Choi Daeun(_angel) and Jasper Jung(fraJILListic58) appeared in this chapter!

Has it been a while since I updated? I feel like it might have been. Honestly this chapter was kind of hard for me. I had

an idea of what I wanted when I finished writing chapter 11, but then when I sat down to write I had completely forgotten.

So, on that note, I'm really sorry if this chapter is super crappy, but now I think I know what I want to happen next, and I'm

gonna actually start working on the next chapter now.