Chapter 19

✩Smoke and Mirrors✩

He went to her dorm the next morning. He felt bad about getting angry and he felt that he really needed to talk to Yeji. He wanted to apologize for his anger, and apologize for his harsh rejection. Even though he did feel really sorry towards Yeji because of the way he treated her, he still didn’t see Yeji as a woman and like her; like she wanted. He thought of her like a little sister, and he cared for her like he would a little sister. It was obvious now that the way he treated her could be easily misunderstood. He didn’t want to bring someone into his Joon’s life as a step-mother that he wasn’t sure would always be there.

She didn’t answer the door for him. In fact, nobody did. Because of that he was left to go back to his own dorm where his son was watching cartoons. When Chan entered his dorm he plopped himself down on the couch immediately, covering his eyes with his arm. Joon turned his head to look at his father, but turned his attention back to the TV a moment later.

Chan removed his arm from his face with a sigh and fished in his pocket for his phone. After dialing Yeji’s number he waited as it rang. With only two rings he heard the voicemail message and he groaned, deciding to leave a message. After the beep he took a breath.

“Yeji-ah…” he spoke, “Listen. I’m really really sorry for the way I acted last night. I was wrong, but you need to try and understand me. You are like a very special little sister to me…” He paused as he looked over at Joon who was still watching the TV. Letting Joon hear him leave a message like this was probably something that he shouldn’t be doing. Chan sighed.

“Listen…. Just call me? Or come by, we should talk.” He concluded, hanging up the phone when he was done.

Chan sat up on the couch and finally paid some attention to what Joon was watching. A dubbed version of Spongebob Squarepants played on the screen. Chan shifted his sight to his young son.

“Joonie.” Chan smiled as Joon spun around to look at him. Chan patted his lap, to which Joon jumped up and rushed over to him, crawling up on his lap.

Chan wrapped his arms around Joon’s body and rested his chin on the child’s head. The pair sat quietly like that for a moment, watching the cartoons.

When Yeji’s phone began to ring she checked the caller ID. She huffed and hit the decline button when she read ‘Chan oppa’ on the screen. She didn’t want to talk to him right now. She figured that if he was going to be cold towards her: Well, two can play that game. After hitting decline she opened up her contacts list, scrolling through until she read Taesun’s name. With a sigh she hit the call button and waited for him to answer.

“Hello? Noona?” Taesun spoke through the phone.

Yeji laid back on the couch and repositioned the phone against her ear.

“Taesun-ah. Will you help me with something?” She asked, inspecting the lines on the ceiling.

“Oh. Yeah, sure. What is it?” Taesun replied after a couple seconds of silence.

Yeji directed her eyes to the door, where only her shoes were. Kymin had left early in the morning again; before Yeji even woke up. She had been doing that recently: leaving early and returning late.

“I have a script I need to study for my class. Will you practice with me?” She asked.

There was another short silence on the other line. Yeji heard some rustling before Taesun’s voice reached her ears again.

“You aren’t working with Ahn Chan?” He asked.

Yeji groaned, “He rejected me. I don’t want to be around him unless I have to.” She admitted.

This time Taesun’s response was quick, “He rejected you? You confessed to him? Noona. He has a kid. What were you thinking?”

Yeji sat up, annoyed.

“Ya! Taesun! Did I call you for your opinion on my personal life or did I call you to help me?”

Taesun laughed, reducing Yeji’s annoyance to a strong pout.

“Yeah. Sorry, Noona. I’ll help you. Do you want to come here?” Taesun chuckled through his words.

Yeji stood from her spot on the couch and made her way to the door to slip on her shoes. She was still wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt that she had put on when she woke up, but she didn’t care much. It was only Taesun, she didn’t need to impress him at all.

“Uh-huh. I’ll be there soon.” With that she hung up the phone and grabbed the script that was on the floor near the door. She left the dorm and made the sort walk to Taesun’s dorm, cursing Chan quietly on the way.

Joon rolled off from off of Chan’s chest, poking his sleeping father in the face.

“Appa~” Joon whined grabbing onto Chan’s arm with both hands and pulling.

“Appa. Wake up.” Joon tugged the tired adult’s arm again. Chan stirred a bit, opening one eye and turning to look at the pouting child. He closed his eye again and took a deep breath as Joon kept tugging his arm. Binking his eyes open he sat up on the couch, turning his attention fully to the youngster.

“What, Joon?” He asked, rubbing his tired eyes with one hand. Joon jumped up and down, still holding onto Chan’s other arm.

“Call Hyeru over, appa. Let’s play.” Joon grinned, still jumping.

Chan laughed and ruffled the child’s hair.

“Hyeru? She is 23, is that what you are supposed to call her?” Chan scolded lightly with a smile.

Joon dropped his father’s arm and began moving towards his bedroom.

“Hyeru-ssi.” He mumbled as he disappeared down the hall. Chan laughed again and stood up, following Joon into his room. Chan pulled out jeans and a sweater for his son to wear, laying them on the bed where Joon picked them up and tried to put them on.

“Do you think you can wear them by yourself?” Chan asked, sitting on the bed near Joon’s clothes.

Joon nodded his head and sat down on the floor, sticking a leg through his jeans. Chan watched him with a smile.

“Ah~ My son is all grown up now, huh? You can get dressed all by yourself.”

Joon nodded again, flashing a wide grin at his father. Chan folded his legs up underneath him and continued to watch Joon dress himself. He figured it was near all luck that Joon had managed to put his jeans on the right way. Usually when he tried to dress himself he would wear them backwards. But when he pulled the sweater over his head Chan noticed that the garment was twisted around the wrong way. With a laugh, Chan called him over and fixed the sweater so that Joon wore it comfortably, before letting Joon get back to putting on his socks.

“Joon. How about we go somewhere today? Just you and me.”

Joon looked up from his foot that he just pulled the sock onto (Although they were both upside-down). He stared at Chan for a moment before he pushed himself up onto his feet and stuck a thumb out.

“Call.” Joon chirped with a smile.

Chan laughed, placing a hand over his stomach. “Call?” He reached out and pulled Joon swiftly onto his lap, where he hugged him tightly and kissed his head, still laughing.

“Call?” Chan asked again, finding his son’s use of the word quite funny. Joon nodded, repeating himself. Chan patted his head and let him slip out of his arms.

“Alright, Joon. Where do you want to go?” Chan asked as Joon shuffled through a small drawer, pulling out bracelets and a necklace. Joon got the bracelets on himself easily, but had to walk over to his father in order to get the necklace on. Chan easily clasped it onto him as Joon responded.

“Zoo.”

Chan patted his back to let him know he was wearing the necklace properly. Joon turned back to his small dresser and tried to pull a wool hat off the top.

“Appa. I can’t reach it.” Joon stated, stretching his arms. Chan stood up from the bed and moved over to the dresser, picking up the hat and sliding it onto his son’s head.

“You want to go to the zoo… Are they even open right now? It’s winter.” Chan asked, taking a hold of Joon’s hand and making his way out of the bedroom.

“We match.” Joon replied, pointing the the similarly colored wool hat that was on top of Chan’s head. Chan laughed, Joon wasn’t even paying attention to him. When they reached the door Chan slipped a jacket onto Joon before pulling on his own. He slipped on his shoes then looked over to Joon who was sitting and trying to wear his shoes. Chan chuckled and knelt down to help, clapping and cheering as Joon stood up, fully prepared to go outside.

“Look at you, handsome Joonie.” Chan smiled, opening the door and letting Joon step out first.

Joon shook his head as he stepped through the door, Chhan stepping through behind him.

“No~.” Joon giggled, grabbing a hold of his father’s hand.

“Oh~!” Joon looked up at the surprising voice and his face broke out in an even wider smile that turned his eyes into two curved slits.

Hyeru stepped up to the two, smiling down at Joon.

“Don’t you look handsome” She complimented, patting the top of Joon’s head.

 Chan laughed loudly, “See? I told you you look handsome.”

Joon dropped Chan’s hand and wrapped his arm around Hyeru’s leg.

“Hyeru-ssi! We are going to the zoo! Do you want to come?” Joon asked, looking up at the older woman.

Hyeru pulled her eyebrows together and looked to Chan, who was chuckling quietly.

“The zoo?” She asked, “Are they even open? It’s winter.”

Chan’s chuckled turned to laughter as he shrugged his shoulders, “I asked him the same question. He didn’t answer. I just figured we would walk around. Go into a couple stores, maybe to go the market.”

Hyeru’s mouth opened in a silent ‘Ah~’ as she nodded. She looked down to Joon who was releasing her leg from his grip and stuck her lower lip out slightly.

“I’m sorry Joonie. I can’t. I have to study.” She kneeled down and grabbed both of his hands, bouncing them as he spoke.

Joon pouted back at her, nodding his understanding, before he let go of her hands and took off at a run down the hall to the elevator. Hyeru straightened up with a laugh and turned to Chan, bowing slightly. Chan had a smile on his face as well as he watched Joon run.

“Don’t get on the elevator without me!” Chan called after Joon.

Chan turned his body to face Hyeru and his smile slid slightly off of his face. Before he had said a word Hyeru’s face changed as well. The smile that was on her lips faded away and her eyes narrowed concern clearly visible in her eyes.

“Did something happen?” She asked, her eyes still flitting around Chan’s face, studying his expression. Chan pulled a small smile back onto his face as he adjusted his beanie.

“Yeji confessed last night.” He revealed with a sigh. Hyeru’s eyes widened, a quiet ‘omo’ slipping past her lips.

Chan nodded his agreement to her quiet expression, “Things are a bit messy…” he paused to rub the side of his face. “… We have a script we need to study. I don’t think she is going to want to study with me though. I need someone to study with.”

Hyeru nodded as he spoke, responding once he was done. “I’ll study with you if you want. You have to do something for me though.” She smiled, trying to lighten the conversation.

Chan tilted his head to the side, “What is that?” He asked.

“I have a performance soon… for the CEO to see if I’m ready to prepare for debut. Would you maybe be able to help me perfect it? I know your acting and stuff, but it’s good to get someone’s opinion.” She explained.

Chan smiled, agreeing without a second thought.

“Deal.”

“Appa~~!” He heard Joon whining from down the hall and bowed quickly to Hyeru.

“Ah. Joon’s waiting. I have to go. We can start studying as soon as you want. My schedule is free for a little bit. I’ll see you later.” Chan waved his hand in farewell as he jogged to meet up with Joon who was sitting impatiently at the elevator.