Chapter 8

✩Smoke and Mirrors✩

He was setting the small table that he put in the living room, when he heard a knock at his door. He looked over at Joon who was sitting on the couch, fully immersed in cartoons.

“Joonie.” Chan called

Joon immediately looked over to his father.

“Do you want to answer the door so I can finish setting the table?” Chan asked before returning to the table.

Joon slid from the couch and made his way to the door, pulling it open with some effort.

“Hyeru!” he bounced, lifting his arms to be picked up.

Hyeru laughed, lifting Joon up as she stepped through the doors. She placed a bag that she was holding and bounced Joon up so he was in a more comfortable position on her hip. She smiled at Chan when he looked at her from his spot in the living room.

“Hi Joonie. How are you?” She asked, turning her head to look at the excited three-year-old.

“Good.” He chirped.

Hyeru moved into the living room and put Joon down on the couch. She looked at the array of food on the table then turned her attention to Chan.

“You really didn’t need to make so much food.” She complained, to which he chuckled, gesturing for her to sit at the table.

“Yes I did, you have been so helpful by watching Joon all the time for me. This is the least I can do.”

She sat and rolled her eyes.

“Alright, but you really don’t have to.”

Chan simply smiled at her and sat down opposite her, with Joon on her right side. The three ate in relative silence. Chan actually felt quite bad that Hyeru was always looking after Joon and he never did much for her other than cooking dinner for her that first night. He didn’t have much money, since he stopped working once he became a trainee, aside from money he had saved so that he and Joon could live while he worked hard. Chan felt like, although he didn’t have the money to buy her anything, he could at least cook a nice meal for her.

“Ah.” Hyeru stood up and caught Chan’s attention. He blinked up at her, curious to what she was doing. They had just finished eating.

“I brought something.” She said, a bright smile reaching up to her eyes.

Chan’s heart dropped. She was doing something else for him? He wondered how he was going to repay her again. She narrowed her eyes playfully in his direction.

“Stop it Chan-ssi. It’s rude to be a guest in somebody’s house empty-handed.” Her glare was replaces with the same bright smile before she turned and jogged back to the door, picking up the bag she left there when she entered.

Slowly she walked back to the table and sat down again. Joon immediately perked up and tried to lean over the bag, wanting to know what was inside. Hyeru laughed happily and pulled out a large wrapped box. She placed it gently in front of Joon who immediately started ripping the wrapping paper off.

“Pororo!” Joon exclaimed, pulling a Pororo building domino toy from the paper. Chan’s eyes widened slightly. He had seen in in the toy store before but couldn’t afford it. He was feeling more guilty by the second but put a smile on his face regardless. He didn’t want Joon to see that he wasn’t entirely happy.

Hyeru examined Chan’s expression carefully, catching the quick unhappy glint in his eyes. She sighed slightly before turning to Joon. There wasn’t much she could do about it, so she chose to help Joon open it.

“Do you like it Joonie?” She asked, ruffling his hair. Joon looked up at her, a large smile turning his eyes into crescents. She took that as a yes and laughed before pulling all of the pieces from the box, and placing the empty box next to her.

“What do you say Joon?” Chan asked, only to be cut off by a loud “Thank you!” from Joon. Chan smiled a small smile in Joon’s direction before returning his eyes to Hyeru.

“Listen, Hyeru…. I will-“ He was cut off by another knock at the door.

Hyeru and Chan looked in the direction of the door for a moment then Chan stood up to answer it. He leaned over and pulled open the door to be met with 6 faces. One of which was smiling brightly.

“Oppa!” Yeji bounced through the door and threw her arms around Chan’s neck.

Kymin stepped in after Yeji and bowed politely. The remaining 4 stepped in and took of their shoes when Chan, Yeji and Kymin retreated further into the room. Hyeru stood from the table, bowing repeatedly as each person entered. Joon wasn’t distracted by his toys at all and completely disregarded all of the new faces.

Chan stepped back more and Hyeru moved up to his side, giving him a quick questioning glance.

“Oppa. This is my brother Taemin and Kymin’s brother, Heechul.” Yeji said stepping forward and linking her arm with Chan’s

Chan bowed and straightened up with a smile.

“Hello. I’ve seen a couple of both of your performances. It’s nice meeting you. I’m Chan.” Chan greeted, receiving similar bows and smiles.

Kymin spoke soon after, introducing the other two men in the room.

“This is Hyunsoo and Taesun. They are friends of ours.” She smiled and patted Hyunoo’s shoulder.

Chan greeted them as well with a smiile.

“Heechul and Taemin said they would come by and practice with us tonight…. Well… with them, since I’m trying to act. I wanted to ask if you wanted to come along. Hyeru-ssi and Joonie can come too. It will be fun.” Yeji had a bright smile on her face as she spoke.

“Joon?” Taesun asked, looking around the room for another person.

Chan smiled, “That’s my son.” He turned and called Joon over, who waddled happly in between Chan and Hyeru, who still stood there looking somewhat shocked by the sudden company….or the Idols rather.

Hyunsoo and Taesun’s eyes widened almost instantly.

“You have a son?” Hyunsoo asked, falling to his knees so he was Joon’s height and smiled. Chan only nodded, noticing that Taesun was looking between Chan and Joon with an unreadable expression.

“Isn’t he cute?” Yeji gushed as Kymin, Taemin, and Heechul all lowered themselves to say hi to Joon as well. Joon happily plodded over to the kneeling four, loving the attention. Yeji turned to Chan.

“Well? Will you come?” She looked at Hyeru “And you. Will you come?”

Chan and Hyeru looked at each other before shrugging.

“Sure. We would love to.” Chan smiled in Yeji’s direction.

“Yess!” She cheered, linking her other arm around Taemin’s neck. “Let’s go!” She began skipping towards the door, dragging the two boys along with her.