44

Learning a New Life
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yes! That word changed their lives. Two years had passed, and it was just over a year since Donghae asked her to marry him. Seomin was sitting on a bench in a park with her disguise on, breathing in the air and taking in the beautiful scenery. She watched her fiancé from afar, as he fed breadcrumbs to the ducks in the pond. They swam eagerly to him, excited to see the man that came whenever he could. She smiled. He was so caring. Seomin could remember their first visit to this park, the day he asked her to marry him. After the proposal, they had strolled along this very path and sat on this very bench. He saw the very same ducks, alone and thin. He tsked and she could remember the exact words that came from his mouth. “Do ducks like breadcrumbs?” From that very moment onwards, Donghae always took Seomin to the park to feed the ducks before going anywhere else on their day off. Sometimes they could go two or three times a week, but in most cases, they would be gone for weeks before returning. Yet every time they came, the ducks saw Donghae and swam quickly to the edge. As she watched him stoop down to let the ducks eat from his hands, her smile broadened. She had definitely made the right decision in accepting his proposal.

Seomin’s mind flashbacked to the first time she met him. She thought he was flirtatious, a womanizer. She didn’t like the way he would always and call her ‘pretty girl’ a nickname that has still stuck to her to this very day, a nickname that has now become her whole world. When they had their first show together as a couple, Donghae accidently called her ‘pretty girl’ in front of everyone. In a matter of days, everyone would call her that name, and it stuck as an endearing title for the media to use. If she was spotted smiling and waving at a child, an article would come up as ‘The nation’s pretty girl spotted waving at a child’. At first, Donghae and Seomin thought of asking people to refrain from using it, as they wanted it to be a special term between the two. Yet over time, they realized that it was a term they wanted to share with her fans, who ended up being known as ‘Pure Pretties’. It reflected both sides of Seomin, the beautiful girl inside and out. It was something Seomin wanted the rest of her fans to be. She always encouraged them to be better, to look out for one another, and to always, always, be kind and respectful to other artists. She had heard horror stories of artists being shunned by fans of another group during a show performance. Whenever Seomin was about to record for a show, she always asked her fans to cheer for the other artists as well.

She was still thankful for the success and love she had been receiving these past two years. She had released a mini album and a single in those two years as she had less time to record music because of her surging popularity. Before, Seomin felt she had all the time in the world to perfect her music, but now, she was often asked to be a guest on various shows. At one point, there were so many guest appearances scheduled in that Seomin vowed to never be a fixed member on a show. Of course Seoulized Music was not happy about her decision, but it was still her choice if she wanted to make more money or not. For Seomin, she would rather have time to make music than to make money. Everything that she released had to be her best and had to be from her heart. There was not a single song she released that was would be considered an album filler. She refused to jeopardize her musical authenticity with poor work. Moreover, because of this desire, her albums always managed to achieve great sales and rank high on various charts. There was no need for her to be a fixed member on a talk show. She was happy to just go to shows occasionally to meet other artists or entertainers from other industries.

The way she planned her life was family first, music next. Seom

Please log in to read the full chapter