23

Learning a New Life
Please log in to read the full chapter

Rain poured on the windows as Seomin and Donghae watched the urban landscape pass them on their way to the hotel across the street from the company’s building. They had decided it was best to hold a press conference with Seomin in it now that some time had passed and it was now nearing the end of December. Her therapy sessions had ended and the nightmares had become less frequent. Yet, there was still a fear of being alone with a stranger. She avoided those types of scenarios, denying invitations by various trainees and teachers to practice one on one. By avoiding these events and having all her classes privatized, Seomin had lost touch with many of her friends and classmates. She had not seen Tricia in a few weeks as well and was hoping that, after the conference at the Winter Showcase, she would see her again tonight.

 

The driver pulled up to the back of the hotel, where they were escorted through a back door into the staff room, cleared out and blocked by security, for their use. Her stylist quickly sat Seomin down where she did her hair into an elegant side braid and natural makeup. While the stylist was doing her work, Donghae gave Seomin the rundown of the press conference of what would be announced, and a list of questions authorized by the company. “Prepare your answers for these questions. There may be a few questions that aren’t on here that may come up too.” Seomin skimmed the questions, mentally preparing answers for each one. She had expected many of these questions already. She glanced over to see Donghae getting his own hair and face done. A serene expression was inscribed on his face. She smiled, knowing that their friendship had strengthened and they were no longer arguing every single day. Seomin didn’t want to make his life more stressful and difficult.

 

Once Seomin and Donghae were prepped, security escorted them into the conference room, where a long table and chairs were placed on a raised platform. The paparazzi had set up their cameras and were jostling with one another to get a favorable seat where their questions would be heard first. It was a competition to see whose questions would make it into the small timeframe. Excluding Donghae and Seomin’s announcements and statements there was only going to be a fifteen minute question period. It had to be exact, as Seomin didn’t have much time between the conference and her showcase to get ready. As they waited for the moderator to show up, Seomin and Donghae waited behind the curtain, where two chairs were set up for them. “I’m so nervous,” Seomin whispered, her foot tapping on the ground.

 

“Understandable. Though, could you not wear out your new shoes? After this, shopping will be impossible." Seomin stopped tapping her foot and frowned at the idea of shopping again. She looked at her shoes, a pair of black leather boots with a slight heel. Seomin was starting to get used to wearing heels, though she still avoided anything above two inches.

 

The moderator appeared, a man in his mid-thirties, wearing a navy blue suit, a microphone in hand. He too spoke Korean, as the CEO had invited a few Korean journalists to join them. Seomin and Donghae shook hands with him and greeted one another before he left to announce the start of the press conference. As they listened to the moderator speak in English and then translate himself in Korean, Seomin took a few slow deep breaths. She felt Donghae squeeze her hand and she turned to see his charming smile. “There are American and Korean journalists here tonight. Make sure to incorporate both cultures, okay?”

 

“Like bowing and speaking in both languages?”

 

“That’s my smart girl,” he replied before leading the way out onto the platform. The cameras flashed as they both headed towards the table. Seomin bowed a few times before seating herself. Donghae picked up the microphone that was on the table between the two of them and started talking. “Hello everyone. The end of December marks the end of the secrec

Please log in to read the full chapter