20

Learning a New Life
Please log in to read the full chapter

Seomin stirred as vivid flashes danced across her eyelids. Her eyes fluttered and she woke up to an empty white room, so quiet she could hear the drip of her IV and the beeping of her heart rate. Seomin sat up and rubbed her arms as she recalled what had happened to her. With the door closed, Seomin lifted the blanket and saw her bruised legs and arms. She peeked under her hospital gown to see her marred body. She also noticed her bones protruding from her skin. "How long have I been here?" Seomin mumbled.

 

She looked up when she heard the doorknob twist. quickly, Seomin pulled the blanket over her body. Donghae appeared through the door, his eyes widening when he saw her awake. Seomin noticed dark circles under his eyes. His usual neat appearance had disappeared, replaced with disheveled hair, sweats, and a gray beater. He hastened to her side and sat on the chair beside her. "How are you?" He reached out but Seomin shrunk her arm back. "Sorry," Donghae said as he retreated his hand to the back of his neck.

 

"How long have I been here?"

 

"Three days... I think. I haven't been keeping track."

 

"Oh." She didn't know what else to say.

 

Donghae recognized her fear and decided to talk instead. "The company gave a press release about your conditions. Later when you feel better they may want you to do a press conference. I won't let them if you don't want to...” he trailed, rubbing his eyes with the palm of his hand.

 

"It's fine," she lied. Personally, she wanted to go home, hide, and never return to the public. "What about... him?"

 

"He's been arrested. there's no need for you to do a testimony. All our rooms have security footage, and we were able to find all the other footage of the other girls too." he said and then added, "I just wish we checked the footage sooner. Company is switching security services for not carefully reviewing the footage everyday as promised in the contract. This should have been caught the first time. No, there shouldn't have been a first time." She could hear the anger in his voice, and saw his face harden.

 

"How many?"

 

"How many what?"

 

She hung her head and whispered, "How many were before me?"

 

Donghae sighed. "8 girls all your age or older. Most of them are still trainees. A few are back up dancers now, waiting to make their own debut. I have no idea what the company is going to do now. Only the people in management know their identities, so we may never know what will happen"

 

Seomin nodded and rested her head on the pillow. She was exhausted despite being asleep for so long. Her mind still couldn't comprehend what had happened. Seomin's eyes began to shut, but in her darkening vision, she watched Donghae run his fingers through his hair as his phone began to buzz from a phone call. How long had he suffered?

 

"Yes...yes. Of course." There was a long pause as Seomin listened to his pho

Please log in to read the full chapter