37

Learning a New Life
Please log in to read the full chapter

It seemed like the weather felt the couple’s pain, for when Seomin awoke and looked through her window, the skies were filled with dark clouds, but Seomin felt hope when not a single drop of rain fell from the clouds. Perhaps it was a sign that things would work out eventually. She didn’t know when this eventually would be, but Seomin earnestly hoped it would be today. Even if she was upset at Donghae, she still loved him, still wanted him to be by her side. Dressing in her workout attire, Seomin put her wavy hair into a ponytail, not bothering to put any makeup on her face. It was unhealthy for her skin. She half-heartedly left her room, sighing to see him nowhere in sight. While she lazed around the house, waiting for the time to pass so she could go to the gym, Seomin thought about the night before. Yesterday night after returning home, they had not spoken a word in the car and when they got to their apartment, Seomin forced Donghae to sleep on the couch. It was a difficult to sleep that night, as Seomin had gotten used to feeling Donghae’s warmth radiate underneath the blanket, his arms often slinging protectively around her. The bed was cold and suddenly felt too big for her alone.

Seomin had Melanie pick her up to bring her to the gym in the late afternoon instead. She wanted to see Donghae, but a part of her also didn’t feel ready. Am I afraid of his answer? It had been awhile since Seomin and Melanie had seen one another. Despite doing regular dance practices, Melanie had not always been around. Instead, Seoulized Music had Melanie go around as a guest choreographer, teaching new moves and dance techniques to other trainees. Seomin missed her advice and was glad to know that Melanie was available to workout with her. The drive to the company building was short, but it was here that Seomin found out Melanie was returning to Los Angeles where she was given the opportunity to choreograph dance pieces for a movie.

“Well now you know what’s been happening with me and where I’m going soon. What about you? I’m sure a lot has changed while I was busy,” Melanie said as they made their way to the elliptical machine.

Seomin shrugged, afraid to tell Melanie, who once had a crush on Donghae, the truth. “Nothing other than debuting and doing a lot of things other artists do.” She stepped onto the machine and started it at a slow pace.

“That’s it?” Seomin bit her lip. “You’re not telling me something,” Melanie guessed.

After some hesitance, Seomin nodded her head. “Donghae and I…”

“…are dating.” Seomin snapped her head at Melanie, who didn’t seem surprised at all and was calmly exercising.

“How did you know?”

“Oh I was sure of it when I saw the pictures of Donghae and you singing your duet. That sparkle in both of your eyes, you should be glad there were so many petals falling from above to cover it up. It’s cool though, I’m glad he’s finally with someone who understands him.”

Seomin sighed. “Thanks.”

“What’s wrong?” Seomin explained what happened on their trip and Melanie nodded her head as she listened. When Seomin was finished, Melanie motioned for her to get off the machine. They sat on an exercise mat where Melanie responded, “I believe Donghae knows you best. He might not know that, you might not know that, but he can’t even tell the difference between you in public and you in private because to him, you are you. The person you are in front of society is the same person who wakes up beside him in the morning.”

As Seomin listened, she began to understand what Melanie was saying. An overwhelming amount of joy entered her body and she flung herself into Melanie, hugging her tightly. “You don’t know how much that has helped me understand him!” She let go and grabbed her bag, not even bothering to wipe the sweat on her forehead or fix her hair. “I have to find him!”

Melanie grinned and dragged

Please log in to read the full chapter