The Rejection

Playful Kiss Remake: The EXO Version

With black eye bags and a hunched back, a boy with a small stature trudged through the school gates. His hair screamed for his bed and his tie looked as if he had been in a rush to leave the house. His stomach grumbled, dissatisfied with the feeling of emptiness from the breakfast its owner ignored at the dining table this morning. He was preoccupied with thoughts as he toyed with the white envelope in his hands.

 

What do I do...I stayed up all night writing that letter!

 

He ruffled his hair in frustration.

 

What if it’s too cheesy? What if he doesn’t like it? Or...what if he’s homophobic?!

 

He mentally began to beat himself up and he murmured "Aish," followed by a few other curse words. Other students turned around to look at Luhan as he slowly went insane. They shook their heads as if they knew that all Class F students would act in a lower-class way. After all, Luhan was always a spectacle to watch.

 

“Yo, wait up!” Two voices called from behind. “Waaaait!”

 

Maybe I shouldn't give it to him today. I’m afraid he’s going to reject me...but if I do give it to him, how should I do it? Should I slip it in his locker? Wait, but that might seem too insincere. Ugh...what should I do?!

 

"Luhan!" One of the boys said louder, "Wait for us!"

 

But if I give it to him in person, how am I going to find him? Wait, who am I kidding, I always know where he is. Oh man, I'm so pathetic. But when should I talk to him?

 

"Xi ing Luhan, are you with me? Do I need to call 911?” One of the boys shouted again, this time at the top of his lungs.

 

Luhan turned around to see his two best friends, Xiumin and Kris, run up to him, each with one backpack strap on their shoulder and the other left hanging. He sighed, irritated that his brainstorming thoughts had been intercepted by his two best friends.

 

“Hey, what’s with that face?” Kris said, swinging his arm around Luhan’s shoulder as they continued walking. Their difference in height made Luhan look like a comfortable arm rest. Luhan scowled.

 

“You guys didn’t have to be that loud when you called my name, you know!”

 

Xiumin scoffed.

 

“We called your name 20 times 'softly', and you didn't hear a thing. We had to call loudly or else you would've never noticed we were there.”

 

“R-really?” Luhan asked surprised. He really did not hear a thing.

 

“Don’t tell me you’ve been dreaming about Oh Sehun all night?”

 

Kris shot Luhan a suggestive glance, which effectively earned him an elbow in the stomach. God, for a guy that small, he really was strong.

 

“O-of course not!” Luhan raised his voice defensively. “It’s just...”

 

“Did you really end up writing a confession letter to that guy?” Kris said, still rubbing his stomach to ease the pain. "You were talking about that on Kakao last night, weren't you? Something about your friend wanting to confess to a guy he's liked for 3 years..."

 

Luhan blushed a deep tomato red.

 

"That w-wasn't me!" He stuttered. "I was talking about my friend, remember?"

 

Xiumin rolled his eyes. “Han, we have known you for so many years. There's no way we would not be able to see through you and your lies.”

 

Luhan sighed. "Okay, okay! What should I do though? I still haven't decided..."

 

“Don't you already have the confession letter?" Xiumin asked with a confused expression on his face. "All that's left for you to do is confess to him!"

 

“EHHHH?!” Luhan’s eyes widened.

 

"You can do it!” He encouraged, patting Luhan on the back.

 

Luhan started to choke as Xiumin showed a bit too enthusiastic of encouragement, slapping his back with strength.

 

“Yah, what are you so surprised about?” Xiumin whispered, avoiding the accusing eyes of the Class A students who were starting to enter the school gates. “You’ve been one sidedly liking him for three years! This is the last year of high school, you can’t miss your chance!”

 

Luhan looked at Xiumin with pleading eyes. “But I still think I can’t do it..”

 

"You even finished writing the letter last night. You were planning to confess today, weren't you?"

 

"But...what if he doesn't like me?"

 

Luhan fidgeted, his feet shuffling against the ground as he walked alongside his friends. He unconsciously started to play with the hanging straps from his backpack. Luhan was normally a cheerful and strong boy, but whenever his friends touched on the topic of him and Sehun, he couldn't help but get a little nervous and self-conscious. No one could blame him, especially after being so devoted to one boy for so long. It was sad to see him act that way though -- his confidence was one of his main charming specialties.

 

“Oh look, here comes Oh Sehun.” Kris said, eyes locking onto three guys that just walked past them.

 

Before anyone could say anything, Kris casually pushed Luhan away from him and Xiumin. Clumsy Luhan went stumbling forward, looking like a deer blinded by headlights. Xiumin giggled and high-fived the hand Kris extended out to him.

 

“Fighting!” He said, cheering his friend on.

 

“Yah, what did you push me for?!”

 

A very familiar voice cleared his throat. Luhan froze and slowly brought his gaze upwards, meeting the eyes of the one and only love of his life, Oh Sehun.

 

“Uh, excuse me. Could you move? You’re blocking my way, and I need to get to class.” Sehun said with a straight face.

 

It wasn’t in a friendly tone, but it was still THE Oh Sehun talking to him, and Luhan immediately blushed.

 

“O-oh, I’m sorry!”

 

He was about to move away but he heard Xiumin whisper “the envelope!” to him. He glanced at Kris, who gave him a small nod, which is what you would call encouraging in Kris’s dictionary. Sehun waited for a few seconds and gave his two friends a look.

 

“Let’s go.” They walked around Luhan, and in a triangle formation, approached the school building.

 

“WAIT!” Luhan called out to Sehun.

 

The words that Xiumin had told him before stuck to him: This is your last year of high school, you can’t miss your chance! Xiumin’s right. I decided to fall in love during my last year of high school. I can’t let that go to waste.

 

Sehun stopped in place and so did his two friends. Luhan jogged up to the trio, and the group started to gather attention from bystanders and other students going to their classrooms.

 

“What is that F student doing with the A trio over there?” “Is that Luhan approaching Sehun? How dare he?” “Don’t tell me Luhan’s confessing or I’ll seriously beat this guy up.” “Who does Luhan think he is?” “This is funny. The three stupidest students with the three smartest?”

 

“What?” Sehun said flatly as Luhan stood in front of him. “Class is starting in 5 minutes. Either talk quick or get out of my way.”

 

“I-I’ll make it quick!” Luhan blurted out.

 

Sehun looked at him expectantly and his two friends held smirks on their faces while watching Luhan panic. This definitely wasn’t the first time this happened to Oh Sehun. In fact, it happened daily, at least twenty times a day.

 

"P-please read this!" Luhan held out the envelope with both hands.

 

The envelope was sealed with a deer sticker and the front, written in careful words, said "To: Oh Sehun". He bowed down 90 degrees and waited for Sehun to take his envelope. He heard snickers and laughter from the bystanders as Sehun hastily replied.

 

"I don't want it." Sehun took the envelope and let go of it, watching it float to the ground before he walked away with his two friends in the direction of their class: Class A.

 

Luhan stood there in shock. Xiumin and Kris were wordless, not even bothering to stop Kai who had just arrived the school grounds and was pushing through the crowd of students.

 

“YAH! Who was that bastard who just made fun of you?” Kai stomped up to Luhan, infuriated. “Why are they talking about you and that smarta**? Did he bother you? Did he hurt you anywhere?” Kai frantically looked Luhan up and down, making sure he was unharmed.

 

“I’m going to kill that Oh Sehun guy for thinking he’s everything!” Kai said, gritting his teeth.

 

There were more snickers as everyone watched Kai become overprotective of Luhan.

 

“Oh look, here comes the dumbest one of all!” “Such puppy love, huh?” “Two stupid guys in a relationship, why not?”

 

Luhan stayed silent as others laughed at him and made fun of him.

 

“It’s fine.” He said quietly, talking to Kai as he stared at the envelope on the ground. “I shouldn’t have been foolish enough to like a guy as cold and arrogant like him.”

 

“That’s right, Luhan!” Kai said confidently. “You always have me by your side protecting you. Who needs a jerk like him?”

 

Kris stepped up and pulled Kai away, ignoring his protests. “Now’s not the time for you to confess your love in front of the entire school,” Kris muttered loud enough for Kai to hear. “You’re making it worse for him!”

 

“Making what worse? He has me, you know. That jerk can just go die somewhere!” Kai said, struggling to get out of Kris’s grip to no avail.

 

Xiumin put his arm around Luhan’s shoulders and gave him a small squeeze for comfort. A tear silently rolled down Luhan’s cheek and fell, staining the envelope as he picked it up from the ground. He dusted the front of the envelope off. He had poured all of the feelings he had held inside for three years onto that one sheet of paper and Oh Sehun didn’t even bother to read it.

 

“...He IS a jerk...” Luhan mumbled as his thumb ran over the “deer” sticker on the envelope.

 

Xiumin’s eyes lit up. “That’s right! All Class A students act like know-it-alls like him. He’s unforgivable!”

 

“I’ll get back at him for sure, that idiot.” Kai shouted from a few feet away, where he was restrained by Kris’s arms.

 

“By hell you will,” Kris commented, practically hugging Kai to prevent him from going crazy. “You give us enough trouble already. I suggest you not go looking for more.”

 

Kai glared at Kris. “He hurt MY precious Luhan! How can you all be so calm when he just BSed Luhan’s feelings?!”

 

Luhan gave Kai a weak smile. "I'm fine, so don't do anything weird, okay?"

 

Kai frowned and stopped struggling in Kai's grasp. "You're too nice. You know that, right? Why don't you just forget about him and come to me?"

 

Kris finally let go of Kai as the crowd started to disperse and the school bell rang. Kai was about to continue to rant about how much of a disgraceful brat Oh Sehun was, but Luhan interjected.

 

"Let's go to class, guys. We're late."

 

He started to walk towards the building, to go to the classroom at the end of the hallway, 5 rooms away from Sehun's: Class F.

 

~*~

A/N:

How'd you like the first chapter? :DD I can't help but get confused with the Japanese and Korean drama so you will most definitely be seeing scenes from both dramas -- of course, with original ideas as well.

 

Please follow me at @kpopchicken and @jamiesikfanla on Instagram for a followback and I'll definitely be willing to have conversations with you guys!! I love getting to know people more, especially people who have the same passions as me, whether it be food, writing, or K-Pop. :) (Added 11/5/18).

 

Hope you liked this chapter! ;)