Can I be forgiven? - Skeleton

A Halloweenish Story

“Dad, have you accepted my proposal?” Eunhyuk said.

“The board got back to me, they accepted it.” Mr. Lee said.

“How is Sungmin?” Eunhyuk asked.  A couple days passed and Sungmin had not even showed up to the house to get clothes.

“He is on a personal leave.” Mr. Lee said.

“Where did he go?” Eunhyuk asked.

“He went down to Busan.” Mr. Lee said.

“So, you gave him Donghae’s hotel?” Eunhyuk asked. Mr. Lee glared at him.

“Is that all you care about? Your brother just died and you just care what he left behind.” Mr. Lee said.

“Dad, to be honest, me and Donghae were not close.” Eunhyuk said.

“I don’t believe that.” Mr. Lee said.

“Well, Dad, let’s be professional right now, no one has control of that hotel. I want to expand, what’s wrong with that. Busan is a nice location.” Eunhyuk said.

“Do you want Gyeongju too?” Mr. Lee said.

“What are you saying?” Eunhyuk said.

“Do you want Gyeongju? Would that make you happy to have all three properties?” Mr. Lee said.

“Isn’t Sungmin?” Eunhyuk said.

“Sungmin is on a personal leave, he said he wanted off the project.” Mr. Lee said.

“You mean I can have all three? That was easy.” Eunhyuk said.

“Is there anything else you want?” Mr. Lee said.

“No,I’m content with all three properties.”Eunhyuk said.

“Since we are talking on a professional level, you know I’m not going to give all three to you.” Mr. Lee said.

“What?” Eunhyuk said.

“Eunhyuk, do you think it’s good for the company to give 3 properties to someone who has no experience at all.” Mr. Lee said.

“Do you even consider me to be a potential successor.” Eunhyuk said.

“To be frank, you are on the bottom of the succession list.” Mr. Lee said.

“Why?” Eunhyuk said.

“You should know why. Do you really need me to tell you.” Mr. Lee said.

“So you are telling me that Sungmin is going to be the successor now?” Eunhyuk said.

“No, he’s on top now but you can always change my mind, I’m not dying anytime soon.” Mr. Lee said.

“I don’t understand I’m doing my best to run my hotel.”Eunhyuk said.

“You think about yourself, not about others. Your brothers have been working hard on their hotels since the first day they bought it.” Mr. Lee said.

“They told you that they had properties.” Eunhyuk asked.

“Of course, they told me after they bought it.” Mr. Lee said.

“So I’m out of the loop as always.” Eunhyuk said.

“Do you know why your brothers didn’t want to tell you?” Mr. Lee said.

“NO, I don’t understand.” Eunhyuk said.

“This was a test, they wanted to let you focus on your hotel without thinking about the competition. They wanted you to work on your hotel without worrying if yours was better than them.” Mr. Lee said.

“They are just looking down on me.” Eunhyuk said.

“Is it their fault, while you play with your girlfriend, they are working. When you are working, they are watching your steps.” Mr. Lee said.

“What? They just gang up on me.”  Eunhyuk said.

“They WANT you to get better. Prove to them that you can do better than them.” Mr. Lee said.

“They never let me win!” Eunhyuk said.

“You are not getting my point.” Mr. Lee said.

“Tell me so I understand, dad.” Eunhyuk said.

“Son, your brothers try to look out for you. They push you so you can push them back. You never push them back that’s why you think they gang up on you. They know sometimes they are leaving you behind. They want to help you but you don’t want them to. You are being selfish right now. You think you are the victim. You aren’t.” Mr. Lee said.

“You are just taking their side as usual.” Eunhyuk said.

“You really want to see. Look at your proposal the board saw.” Mr. Lee said, he hands over the Jeju proposal.

“This is wrong? This isn’t mines.” Eunhyuk said.

“Of course, it’s not. It’s Sungmins/Donghaes. They put it in for you.” Mr. Lee said.

“When?” Eunhyuk said.

FLASHBACK                             

“Look, compare to your proposals that you two send me and what Eunhyuk sent me.” Mr. Lee said. Donghae and Sungmin gave conflicted faces at Mr. Lee.

“Get my point.” Mr. Lee said.

“Dad, we will work with him.” Sungmin said.

"I agree with Sungmin, he will not like it if we took it from him." Donghae said.

"Just try to work it out with Eunhyuk." Mr. Lee said. Sungmin and Donghae looked at each other.

 “Dad, what if we just submit another proposal to the board pretending to be Eunhyuk. Once, construction starts, Eunhyuk can just focus on that.” Donghae said.

“Donghae has a point, this way Eunhyuk can still work on the hotel.” Sungmin said.

“Hmm… what were you guys thinking?” Mr. Lee said. Donghae and Sungmin sat down and talked about what they would do with Jeju. In 10 minutes, they created a proposal for Eunhyuk.

“The board probably would accept this.” Mr. Lee said.

“Just submit it when Eunhyuk sends in another proposal.” Donghae said.

“I am still going to talk to Eunhyuk, but you guys talk to him so he will get the concept at least.” Mr. Lee said.

“Yea we will.” Donghae said.

FLASHBACK ENDED

 

“Do you understand now? Your brothers always try to help you as much as they could.” Mr. Lee said.

“They just look down on me.” Eunhyuk said, turning around to leave.

“Son…” Mr. Lee said.

“Dad, I just want to know one thing, why did Sungmin go to Busan.” Eunhyuk said.

“They found Donghae.” Mr. Lee said.

“I understand.” Eunhyuk said.

--

Eunhyuk walked into the empty house. He looked over this proposal and the other proposal for Jeju.

“My heart feels heavy.” Eunhyuk said.