Four

My Sweet Devil

Four


She blanched, her body pressed upon the wall, hands searching for a makeshift weapon to defend herself. Words failed her as he followed her each step, his crimson eyes incapable of relinquishing their hold on her figure.

Her breathing hitched when he lowered his head near her cheek, his nostrils flaring after catching a faint whiff of her scent. His face twisted into a scowl, displeasure radiating from his eyes. “I knew it.” He muttered, facing the area he flung the wolf in only to find it gone.

Chaerin slipped down to the ground, her heart pounding hard in her chest, her thoughts swimming in chaos.

A nap wasn’t going to cure this migraine of a nightmare. 


“Do not even think of touching me. Stay where you are! We can converse from this distance.” Chaerin insisted, hoping to put as much length as possible between them. She brandished her umbrella towards him like a sword, her countenance earnest on whacking him with the object should he dare defy her. 
While it was foolish of her to allow him to remain in her home when she wasn’t even certain the guy was human, he was her only ticket to answers.

The first question had to be slight, something he couldn’t deflect. “Was that really a wolf?”

“Yes.”

“Why was it in my house?”

He was in your house for reasons that you cannot know or should even be aware of.”

“Well, goddamn, I didn’t think I would have a wolf at home. But, you know, if I did something to attract it, you’re right, I shouldn’t know what I did wrong.” She fumed, her skin flushing with anger.

“You did nothing wrong. It wasn’t your fault he followed you.” He made no further statement to elaborate his point.

Heatedly, she quipped, “Alright, then was it also a wolf that broke into the library? Was it the same one?”

An eyebrow rose at her next question, as if the answer was obvious in itself. “Yes to the former and no to the latter.”

She met his intense gaze, his eyes a familiar brown hue, her rush of adrenaline receding. “You’re not going to tell me much are you?”

He smiled wryly.

What are you?”

In response, he was solemn, soundless, leaving her question to flutter in the space between them.

She groaned. “You bastard, I have a right to know these things. I was almost killed and I don’t even know why.”

“Stay out of our business.” He warned. “Get away before you land in too deep in something that doesn’t concern you.”

Furious, she jabbed his side with her umbrella. “You idiot! I’m already in too deep for my own good if I was attacked twice! And do you honestly expect me to forget those bloody-red eyes of yours?”

He knocked aside her petty weapon and snatched her collar. “Do not test my patience.”

She scoffed, “A little too late for that."

His retort died when he glanced at his fist grasping her blouse – the shirt stained a deep red having grasped his attention. His fingers uncurled, the skin taut and cut. Chaerin released a shaky breath and headed into her kitchen, returning with a wet rag and first aid kit.

“Sit down.” Her tone implied there was no room for argument, and figuring it was better than dealing with her incessant interrogation, he complied. His nurse murmured, “You must have hurt yourself when you sent the wolf flying…”

Skilled fingers tightened the cloth around his hand, a substitute for a proper bandage, but it would have to do. When she finished, she folded her hands in her lap.

“Thank you. I won’t quit my job, so don’t even think of asking that of me.” She grunted, however, her voice took on a softer note as she continued. “Before you go, would you mind cleaning the small streak of blood on the cabinet? I know I just cleaned your hand, but it just terrifies me to think what that blood belongs to.”

Her guide relented, his directionally challenged companion right behind him. “The rags are in that bottom drawer, sink is there to your right, and- Is something wrong?” He was still, his face a listless mask.

“Who else has come by?”

Befuddled, she could only respond with, “Huh?”

“Who else have you allowed into your home?”

“Oh, uh, my friend Park Bom, some lovely next-door neighbors. Why?”

He shut his eyes tightly. “No, no. Was there anyone else?”

She racked her memory files for past visitors. “Ah, there was that punk awhile back. He pulled a prank at the library, had me horrified.”

“A prank?” His eyes fluttered open.

“Yeah, he banged on the front door crying for help. He said ‘they’ would get him. I allowed him to come inside and brought him home.” Chaerin continued, her hands busying themselves sweeping the debris. “I tried retrieving more information from him, alas, it didn’t work out. He couldn’t remember. Bom told me it was some sort of initiation, so I thought I shouldn’t bother with it anymore.”

“You haven’t seen him since?”

“No.”

He hummed, his attention back to the removing the blood stains.


Deft fingers tugged at his sleeve, asking him to linger just a little longer.

“You’re not going to come back, are you?”

He faced away from her, his back and shoulders the only view she was given. Chaerin bit her lip. “I guess it would help to put an end to these shenanigans. Listen,” She paused. “Why did you help me those first few times I came across you?”

“It would have been cruel to let you wander any further when the library was right under your nose.” He reasoned, his words neatly rolling off his tongue. “And you almost walked right into a fight-zone.”

Although she was baffled by the existence of a fight-zone, she decided not to inquire of its nature just yet. “I see.”

“Thanks for everything then, um,” She stumbled over her words, remembering that she had not yet acquired his name.

“Kris.”

A smile lit up her face, even though she would never have use for his name again. “Thank you, Kris.”

“Think nothing of it.”