Three

My Sweet Devil

Three


Chaerin spent her weekend filled with questions and memories from Friday night. It nagged her conscience that she had allowed him to go on ahead and brace the danger. What if he had been wounded? Oh, the joys of being burdened. She still didn’t know his name.

And what the hell was with that mutt?


When she returned to work on Monday she was prepared to confront the manager, apologize for staying behind when he told her to leave, and unveil the details of the night until he thanked her for closing up and hoped his young man had not left her waiting for very long. Confused, she asked if he had recounted the details to him.

Mr. Lee smiled, and said his young punk told him everything, and knew he could rely on him to drive his employees home during the night if need be. Not that there were dangers to face, anyhow. Chaerin promptly laughed, agreeing with him. He lied to Mr. Lee, she wanted to know why, especially if she was going to play along.

Deciding against telling Bom of what occurred, she settled for leaving work early and having some drinks with her. Instead of voicing any of her stories, she listened intently to Bom speak of her man. And what a man he seemed to be.

“Who is he? Will I ever be introduced to this perfect man?” Chaerin groaned, three drinks down.

Bom grinned. “You will! I promise. He’s a teacher at my former high school.” She commented softly.

Chaerin gaped, “You didn’t-?”

“No! I met him during a small event at the school.” Bom hastily responded. “I would never date my instructor.”

Chaerin flashed her a knowing look.

She relented, “He didn’t start teaching until after I had left!”

Her blonde friend laughed amused by it all while Bom simmered down after eating.


“Are you sure you want to walk the rest of the way? I don’t mind grabbing another cab, honestly Chae.”

Chaerin assuaged her worries. “I only had three drinks and it wasn’t even hard liquor. And it’s just two blocks down. Plus, it’s only six. I’m fine, go.”

Bom waved farewell to her friend until she was out of sight.

She hummed, followed the sidewalk, intent on making it home before eight. But her deadline was pushed aside in favor of spending time at a playground nearby. Judgment clouded, she ran forward, her desire surging to swing back and forth, to climb the monkey bars, to go do slides. She felt like a child, and it reminded her of home. 
Giggles burst from her accompanied by slips of tears, leaving her to wonder how she could be an emotional drunk after downing three cheap beers.

“Are you okay?”

A gentle nudge of her shoulder brought her back to focus, her body clumsily standing. A red hue made it to her cheeks as she realized she had been blocking youngsters from entering the slide.

“Sorry kiddos. Forgive this crazy noona.” She hung her head ruefully, but the little brats had already charged through to get into the slide. Kids, she shook her head softly.

A shrill scream had her running back, frantically searching for the wild bunch. “Kids? This is your crazy noona calling. Is every one okay?”

Quivering, a voice replied, the boy stuck mid-way, claiming to have problems breathing. Panicking he screamed again and she dived right after him. She emerged from the tunnel with him clinging to her neck, his face sodden with tears. Lucky enough to be fond of children, she ruffled his hair, tried soothing his fears, assuring him everything was okay.

“Ah! She saved him! Noona saved him, hyung!”

Chaerin looked towards the rowdy kids, five in total with the exception of the boy clinging to her and saw her dutiful guide glaring down upon her. She rolled her eyes, having had enough drama to last her a month. “I suppose he’s claustrophobic. Poor guy, braved it even though he was scared out of his wits.” She rearranged some of his loose strands.

“That is not bravery.” He retorted and sent his boys to remove the child from her embrace and have them return to their guardians.

“And why isn’t that bravery?”

“It’s stupidity to think you can brace a phobia or anything so severe on your own.”

Feeling a bit snarky, she chewed him out. “Sound familiar? You prick. What if he heard?” She stubbornly crossed her arms, her eyes narrowed into slits as she sized him up.

“You don’t know the situation, so don’t act as if you do.”

She shrieked with glee, perhaps her system wasn’t used to the alcohol around these parks. “Exactly! I don’t know. Why didn’t you divulge the incident that happened on Friday night to Mr. Lee? I sure as hell would not want to have the campus sit back and relax when there is a dangerous animal on the loose!”

He grimly replied, “The animal won’t be a problem anymore. Not that one at least.” Dark eyes slanted her way. “Mr. Lee does not need to concern himself with petty matters. It will only burden him with worry.”

“What the hell was that?” She hissed.

And when he kept silent, she her heel and left, because frankly she had enough for the day. It wasn’t much of a challenge to match her pace. “Do you need a ride home?”

She clutched her heart in feigned glee. “Is that concern for me? I am touched. No, I don’t have much farther to go. I’m a big girl, I can do this.”

He shrugged and stopped mid-stride; it pained her that he was quick to leave her. Vexed at everything she cursed it all. A good night’s rest would do her wonders. Yes, that was what she needed.


Her speed kicked into gear when she noticed the clock was beyond seven, darkness dancing around the edges. She rounded her last corner and skipped her way to her lawn, glee etched on her face. Ah, she was destined to be a bi-polar drunk. Her coat was cast aside on the couch and she was in the midst of ing the top of her blouse when she heard a familiar sound of growling.

Tentatively she faced her kitchen, a full-blown grey wolf snarling at her, its jaws dripping with red. Yellow ringed eyes cut into her soul, ensnaring her.

Chaerin fell back, her cry wedged in and the wolf pounced.

The wolf was driven back by a blow to the snout, the body crashing against cabinets. She dared to open her eyes, her focus captivated by her savior – whom never seemed to be new. Filled with a mixture of relief, terror, and shock, a burst of adrenaline hit her, and she got to her feet to approach her guide. 

“What the  is going on?” She tugged on his shirt; she deserved some answers.

Red irises faced her, causing her to pale considerably.

“Oh, my god.”