When Chen ..

Your Own Fairy Tale (Closed)

For - puppy-yeol

 

 

Continuous typing sounds could be heard in the office as Chen typed in his work in fast speed as he forgot to did it yesterday. He only knew that his boss need it in 10 minutes and he did everything to get it done. 

 

He spent the day before to finish his friend's work and he really hates for being so nice to a colleague that he's not even close to. His fingers were hurting but he did not stop. He already lost everything, he could not afford to lose his job too.  

 

He attached the file and sent it through email to his boss. With heart beating fast, he waited for an 'OK' from his boos so that he would feel at ease again. If his boss don’t like his work that it's over for him and he would officially just lose everything that meant so much to him in his life. 

 

A notification appeared and he was so happy to see the two words that his boss sent him.  

 

"Good job." 

 

He let out a loud sigh and leaned against his chair. "Thank god." He massaged his neck and out of habit, he glanced at the frame on his table. Almost immediately his eyes glistened in tears as he looked at the most beautiful girl he has ever seen in his life. 

 

He picked up the frame and sadly chuckled as he looked at the couple ring that shone in the picture. It was their engagement ring and they took the picture right after he proposed. Both of them looked so happy and back then he could not even imagine such things could be happening to them. 

 

He had one of his arms wrapped on her waist while the other showed the camera their ring. Soyool was looking at Chen while smiling and she looked equally happy as Chen, maybe more. That smile, the smile that Chen has grown to love more and more as each day passes. 

 

After looking at the picture one last time, he turned it picture side down and put it in his drawer.He cleaned up his desk and walked out of the company with his bag loosely hanging on his shoulder.

  

"Yo, bro!" A hand tapped his shoulder and his friend appeared in front of him with a broad smile. "We're out for a drink. You in?" He asked as he pointed at a group of boys behind him. Chen's eyes widened as he saw all of his best friends behind him. 

 

"What are you guys doing here?" Chen stuttered. Baekhyun laughed and hugged him by the shoulder, "We're here to see our friend of course."  

Kyungsoo nodded and smiled, "We missed each other. It has been a long time since we met." Although that was a part of the reason that they had this little reunion, they actually heard the news of Chen that broke his engagement with his love of 12 years. They actually had been together for a long time and them had been with Chen since before he met Soyool 

 

They knew how much Chen loves his girl but all they can do is give him support that he needs which was why all of them took a week off from their work to cheer their best friend up.  

 

Chen looked at the 11 smiling faces in front of him and could not help but smile as well. He knew why there were there with him and he wanted to bawl and cry with them, tell them how much pain he was feeling but he knew, all of them did not drive from far away just to see him like that so he nodded and said, "Let's go all out tonight." 

 

It was like a walk down memory lane as the 12 of them entered the pojangmacha that they used to go when they were in their 20s . They saw familiar faces and some strangers.  

 

"I think I've seen you guys from somewhere." The ahjumma came to their table. The boys happily greeted the old lady and asked if she remembers them.  

 

"Oh right, you're the one who helped with that one night." It was one hell of a night. Some drunk men made a fuss in the lady's stall and the 12 of them who saw the ruckus ran straight away to help the lady to beat up those men. The 12 of them outnumbered the men and they all ran away. It was a night to remember but to Chen it was certainly a night that was hard to forget. Coincidentally, because of that night, he met his ex fiancée. 

 

The boys knew well enough to avoid talking about that night so they ordered makgeolli and beers to change the topic.  

 

Chanyeol watched as Chen downed all of the drinks. He would've stopped him but Kris kept him from doing so. "Let him be. He needs this." The others did not drink and only ordered more for Chen. Chen did not notice the sad eyes watching him and only kept his head down, punishing himself for doing something that he did not do. 

 

They talked about their past and memories but avoided talking about things that's related to SoyoolBaekhyun and Chanyeol would make jokes but Chen only smiled to that.  

 

"I miss the old Chen." Kai whispered and the other agreed. This sad and melancholy Chen is not the Chen that they know. At times like this, he would be the only one that cheers everyone up and he's very good at doing it, but when he's the one who's sad, everyone was clueless. They need the old Chen back. 

"." A curse was heard coming from one of his friends when someone entered the stall linking arms with another man. Chen's back was facing the couple and the others were thankful for that. The couple were seated right behind their table and the other panicked. 

 

"This is bad." Sehun mouthed to Tao and he gulped. To avoid Chen from noticing what was happening , all of them kept on talking like before. They were doing a good job at that until Chen heard an awfully familiar voice right behind him. 

 

Within one second Chen had his head turned around and he froze on the spot to see the figure he missed to see for these past months.  

 

"Dude, let's just go …" Xiumin's words were left unheard as Chen stood up and walked towards Soyool. He stumbled a few times but still he managed to stand still when he was right in front of her. 

 

Some of them tried to stop him but this time, it was Chanyeol who stopped them. He shook his head and the other sat down. "Let's just give him some time." 

 

"Jongdae oppa?"  

 

Chen smiled, listening to her heavenly voice ringing in his ears. "You're here." He put a hand on her cheek and smiled once making sure that he was not just imagining things. "You're really here." 

 

Soyool glanced at the man sitting across her and meekly smiled before turning her attention towards Chen again. Chen felt her hands on top of him but his smile faltered when Soyool took his hands off of her cheek. "Don’t, oppa." She said and stood up. "Let's go, Minwoo Oppa." 

 

Chen only noticed the man when Soyool mentioned him and his anger boiled seeing Soyool linking arms with the said man. "We'll just find somewhere else to have a talk." The man side, side glancing at Chen. Both of them walked out of the stall and Chen dropped on the hard ground bawling in tears. 

 

I love her. She's mine. Not anyone's but mine.  

 

Not even his mother's demand would make him stop loving her. Never. He stood up instantly and went running out of the stall to search for her.  

 

Once he spotted them, he ran all his might and pulled Soyool out of the other man's grip and into his arms. His arms were tightly wrapped around her shoulders and even though she was struggling to let him let her go he still hugged her tight.  

 

Minwoo tried to stop him but Soyool asked him to give them some time, and he did. When they were alone, Soyool hugged him back and soothingly rubbed his back.  

 

"Jongdae oppa, can you let me go now?" She asked but Chen shook his head. "You're going to run away."  

 

Soyool held back her tears. That’s what she was supposed to do. Run away and never meet Chen again. That's what Chen's mother told her to do anyway.  

 

When Soyool did not reply to him , Chen became insecure again and hugged her tighter. "I need you in my life. I missed you. These past months were like hell. Please .." He sobbed . "Please come back to me." 

 

As Chen's grip loosened, Soyool took the chance to lean back just a little bit with her hands still around his waist and peered at his tear stained face.  

 

"I missed you, too oppa. I love you, you know that right? You know that more than anyone else." Chen smiled upon hearing her words but Soyool continued. "But you also know we can't be happy when you mom hate our relationship." 

 

She took the chance to pry off Chen's hands around her shoulders. She tip-toed to kiss his lips that she missed but she pecked his cheeks instead. She's afraid she wont be able to walk away if she does that.  

 

Both of them stared at each other for a while before Chen willingly let her arm that he has been holding on, go. Soyool tearfully smiled and turned around.