Conference

I'm Taking You Back

Jaejoong’s father was cleared from any illness and was only advised to take supplements for his health.  Jihyun took him to a fine dining restaurant and discussed all the matters that have been bothering her.

“I dunno why but it’s getting complicated already…” she said.

“You think it’s complicated, coz you think it is complicated.” he replied. “Why don’t you think that it’s easy for a change.”

“It’s never easy, abeoji. I’m just lying to myself.”

“Idiot! You haven’t even tried it yet!”

“I’ll start tomorrow. Promise!” she grinned. “How’s your steak, by the way!”

The old man obviously enjoyed the meal with the way he savored every bite. “So good… Aaahhhh~”

“Do you want to order another round?” she suggested.

“No sweetheart! I’m so full already!” he then took a sip from his glass. “Now tell me how this happened?” he pointed at her transformation.

“Well… I went to school, worked my off, made a few sacrifices, so here I am!” she smiled.

“I’m so proud of you Jihyun. If Jae…” he cut himself off after seeing her flinch. “I mean, I knew you had it in you!”

“Komawo…” she bowed her head.

The old man decided to change the topic when Jihyun grew silent and awkward. “Are we going to your office after this? I wanna meet your staff.”

“Neh!” she brightened up. “They’re the best staff I could ever ask. It's just a waste coz I’m a bit lacking when it comes to leading them.”

“That’s why you hired me right? We'll make it work!” he bragged.

“Yeah! Every CEO out there must be jealous coz I have the President of Korea as my adviser. Hah!” she exclaimed.

“Ex! President…” he emphasized.

“Doesn’t make a difference to me. Pft!” she scoffed. “Ready to go?”

He took a final sip from the glass of wine and wiped his mouth with a table napkin. “Neh! Gaja!”

On the way back, Jihyun noticed him fidgeting as if he was bothered. “Something wrong?”

“Do you think they will like me?” the old man worried. “I mean, with all the controversy that surrounding my name?”

“Abeoji… Anyone with a working brain and honest intention know what really happened.”

“I hope so too…” he took a deep breath.

Jihyun parked by the lobby and walked with him. As soon as they stepped into the building, every person they met didn’t just bow to her but also to the man she accompanied. “See?” she whispered.

“Komawo…” he replied.

She smiled and patted his back. “Now let’s meet my team!”

They went to the elevator and as they stepped out, everyone stood up and warmly greeted the man.

“Annyeong haseyo, Mr. President!” “Welcome, President Kim!”

“A-Aniyo…” he frantically waved. “Please… No need for that!”

“Guys! Guys! Let’s have a meeting at the conference room!” Jihyun said.

Hani came with the old man’s bodyguard and they bowed ninety degrees to him. “Annyeong haseyo Mr. President! It’s been a while…” she said.

“Aigooo~ Hani-ah! I couldn’t thank you enough for bringing Jihyun to me. Thank you so much!”

“Anything for you sir!” she bowed again.

Jihyun butted in. “Unnie, can you please ask Bumki oppa to also join us?”

“Got it!” she raised a thumb and hurriedly left while the bodyguard stayed behind.

All of them gathered in a conference room large enough to accommodate the entire floor. Bumki came and immediately approached the new guest. “Wow! It’s an honor to meet you President Kim!” he then turned to Jihyun. “Is he a part of our company now?” she nodded. “Jinjja? Uwaaaa~ Woojin will flip when he knows this.” he grabbed his phone but Jihyun stopped him.

“Oppa… You can call him later. Let’s get everything settled first.”

“Oh! Right!” he hid it back in his pocket and took a spot near the stage.

Jihyun stood in the middle and delivered a small speech. “I want to formally introduce to you the newest addition to our family. Please welcome… President Kim Kyung Man!”

The room exploded in claps and cheers.

Jaejoong’s father slowly recovered that commanding aura he once radiated as he took his stance. He spoke like a noble man and stood with so much grace and authority.

“This is one of the happiest days of my life. I don’t know what I did in my past life to deserve this but I’m truly grateful to God for giving me a chance to experience this kind of happiness. Jihyunnie…” he looked at her. “You just brought my life back and thank you from bottom of my heart.”

She placed a palm on her chest and smiled.

“Now! Let’s get to work shall we?” he hollered.

“YEAH!” “WOOHOOO!!!” “AJA! AJA! HWAITING!”

The crowd roared.

After almost 2 hours of brainstorming, Jihyun finally heaved a deep sigh of relief. Another load has been lifted from her shoulder and finally has that overview of how to lead her staff.

“The PR and Construction team will be monitored by Bumki!” the old man announced. “I will personally handle the Legal team! And Jihyun will handle both Advertising and Marketing team.” she agreed. “But this doesn’t mean that we will ignore the other teams if they ask help. We will still assist them as much as we can. Do we understand ourselves?”

“NEEHHHH!!!”

“Any questions?” he asked.

Everyone was silent so the meeting was adjourned. As they made their way out, Bumki accompanied Mr. Kim to his new office while Jihyun went back to her own space with Hani.

“Unnie… Do we still have time to set up meetings with Advertising agencies? I need to choose the best one to introduce the department store to the public.”

Hani checked her watched. “Yup! I can do it!”

“Good! It would be great if we can have it as early as tomorrow.” she added after sitting behind her desk.

“On it! Anything else?”

“I’m hungry… Can I have some pizza and chicken?”

“Andwae! No junk food for you! If you wanna eat, I’ll bring you something else.”

“Fine! Pft!” she scrunched her face.

----------

Unlike her usual nights, Jihyun left the building earlier than expected. She even got to drive Mr. Kim home. She parked outside their gate and so did the SUV behind them.  Being in that place felt surreal. The good, the bad, the hurt, and the pain came rushing back to her. She had to put a brave face as if nothing is beating inside her chest. “S-See you tomorrow, abeoji…”

“Neh! It’s been a long day so get a lot of sleep!” he warned.

“I will! Don’t forget your medicines too!” she added.

“Neehhh… Goodnight Jihyunnie!” he waved and his bodyguard opened the door for him.

“Goodnight!” she replied.

Both cars left after they stepped into the gates.

Jaejoong was actually getting worried since his father never gets home that late. As soon as he heard engines growling outside their house, he ran and saw his father getting out of an Aston Martin. “Who was that?”

The old man looked at his bodyguard and back to his curious son. “Ahh! My new boss!” he continued to the door.

“What do you mean new boss? What happened to your job? Where’s your car? Is that why someone had to take you home?” it rained questions.

“I quit! And since it was a company car, I gave it up! That law firm !” he loosened his tie and yawned while stretching his arms up. “Aigooo~ It’s been a looooonngggg day…”

“Dad! Can you please explain to me what’s going on? I was worried you know?!” Jaejoong demanded on the verge of losing his temper.

The old man held his shoulders and looked him in the eye. “Son! Relax… There’s nothing to worry about. I’m perfectly fine!”

“Yes Jae…” the bodyguard added. “He even went to the hospital! He’s very much healthy!”

“MWOH??? Hospital??? WAE???” he fumed.

“Yah!!!” his father scolded the bodyguard. “You’re not helping!”

“Oooppsss!”

“Look son! Someone came to see me earlier and offered me the best job I could ever imagine so I accepted it! She then took me to the hospital to make sure I’m doing fine…”

“She? Who is it?”

The old man looked up to the ceiling and scratched his nape. “Aish!” he then turned to his bodyguard. “What was her name again?”

“I dunno…” he replied with a mere shrug and went to his own room. “Goodnight sir!”

“Anyway… I’ll tell you next time, okay?” he patted his shoulder. “How’s your day by the way?”

“Same as always…” he sighed. “But I have a very important meeting tomorrow. It is by far the biggest project of my career if I get it!”

“Jinjja?” he nodded. “You better go to sleep then! You’ll need all the strength for that.”

“Neh! Goodnight dad!” Jaejoong yawned.