Unfortunate

I'm Taking You Back

Hani started the day after she was hired. She was assigned to assist Jihyun as much as she can whether at home or work.

She took care of her schedules, set up meetings, prepared her meals, accompany her wherever she goes, and many more.

Jihyun’s burden indeed lightened but still works hard just as much.

One afternoon, Hani found her standing by the window with hands behind her and watching the Han River. “Jihyun-ah… Gwenchana?”

“Yeah… Just taking a breather.”

She walked up and stood beside her. “Are you sad that Woojin oppa went back to the ranch already?”

“Ani! He needed to go back anyway…”

“I’m pretty sure you’re thinking about something. Tell me. I might be able to help.”

Jihyun sighed and went back to her chair. “Unnie… I never thought this project could be that hard.” Hani also took a seat across her and listened. “I have everything that I need. It’s just that every time I accomplish one task, another one pops up. It’s like going in circles!”

“Can I make a suggestion?” Hani asked.

“Sure!”

“But I hope you won’t get mad…”

“Unnie… I need all the help right now. So please…”

“I know a person who was once in the same position as you are. As a matter of fact, he even had it worse.” Hani gauged her reaction and although Jihyun was skeptical, she seemed desperate to do anything at that point. “I hope you’re willing to come with me if I take you to him.”

Jihyun paused for a while to weigh her options. ‘I don’t think Hani unnie would do something to hurt me. Besides, there’s no harm in trying, right?’ “Fine… Where?”

The girls went down the lobby and Jihyun drove her car while Hani took the lead in an SUV driven by a chauffeur.

They drove for about 30 minutes and stopped in front of an old building. It was 4 floors high and doesn’t even have an elevator. The paint on the wall has deteriorated. Some windows were missing.

Jihyun took out her keys and met with Hani on the main entrance. “Unnie… What is this place?”

“It’s a law firm.”

“No way…” she leaned away with an appalled look.

“Yes way! I’ve been here 2 years ago and I’m actually surprised it didn’t collapse!” Hani snorted.

“It might just now if we both walk in.” they laughed.

“Yah! We’re too y for that!” the older one chuckled.

“Right…” Jihyun smirked. “Can we get on with this please? It’s hot in here! Is this place even airconditioned?’

“I don’t think so… Gaja!”

They climb up the stairs since whoever they were visiting was at the top floor. They were just half way through when bullets of sweat started to drip down their faces. The fact that they were wearing sky high stilettos, the building itself is not properly ventilated.

“Unnie… Is this your way of punishing me for all those times that I order you around?” Jihyun panted while holding to the railings. “I’m really sorry if I’m that hard on you…”

“Yah! Don’t make me laugh! This is hard as it is already! Hahaha! Aigooo~” Hani snickered.

As soon as they reached their destination, they took a moment to catch a breath and fanned their burning faces. “Uwaaaa~ I am not coming back here anymore! Jinjja!” Jihyun said.

In a matter of seconds, the girls managed to restore their poise and composed themselves.

What struck Jihyun the most was the silence in the hallway, broken occasionally by an outburst from gossiping employees. One or two would actually watch them pass, perhaps wondering who they were.

Hani reached the end of the hallway and opened the door for Jihyun. “Yah… You promised not to get mad at me, remember?”

“And I intend to keep it. Now who’s this person who dared make me walk that long pile of stairs and made me sweat?” she joked.

Hani’s face turned serious and only replied with a faint smile.

Jihyun grew nervous at that point. She went in and was greeted by a lively voice yet hoarse due to fatigue. “Annyeong haseyo… How may I help you?”

Jihyun stood by door, despondent, holding back the tears and dryness in .

She couldn’t understand how it ended that way. He was sitting behind a table that almost buried him from a tall stack of folders and papers. He is that man who always had a twinkle in his eyes. A remarkable man who touched Jihyun’s life with just a simple act of kindness. He was once an indestructible man who lead a country but now sickly and thin who could break any moment.

“A-Abeoji?” Jihyun gasped.

“I’m sorry, young lady… I’m getting too old that I can’t remember everyone’s faces.”

Jihyun let out a bitter chuckle as hot water flew down her cheeks in torrent. “Abeoji…” she slowly walked to his side and held his hand as she kneeled. “It’s me… J-Jihyun…” she sobbed. “A-Ahn… Jihyun…”

“Omo! Our Jihyunnie?” he shifted and touched her face. “My Jaejoong’s, Jihyunnie?”

However painful it was, she slightly nodded.

“Why are you crying? Don’t cry sweetie… Aigooo~” he smiled, wiping her tears.

He didn’t shed a single tear and no one could even see the slightest pain in his eyes. He was smiling all along and Jihyun’s heart skipped a beat. “Miahnae…”

“Ssshhhh… What’s there to apologize for? Stop crying now…” without thinking twice, he hugged Jihyun. He was the same man who was caring and humble, and she hated the situation he was in. It was a subtle way of torturing a person who doesn't even deserve it.

“I’m so happy to see you, Jihyunnie… Abeoji is happy.” he patted her back.

“Me too…” she sniffled and slightly pulled away from him. “Abeoji… I need your help…”

“Me? Wae?”

“I’ll explain everything later… But are you willing to leave this place and come with me?”

He kept touching her face and her hair. “But I work here. I can’t lose my job…”

Jihyun looked around and the poor working environment was too much for an average person to handle, much less for an old man. “It’s okay… Helping me will you be your new job. I can even pay you double and give you the best working space.”

“Eeyyy… Are you trying to pirate me?” he raised an eyebrow.

“Wae? Is there a problem with that?” she side eyed him.

“My boss is kinda strict you know?!” he whispered.

“AND THAT’S ME!!!” a huge man barged in. “No one can steal my employees!”

Jihyun took a deep breath, stood up and dusted her skirt. “Do you want me to sue your from a long list of violations? I can have this ty little law firm shut down by tomorrow!” she sneered.

“Who are you to say that? How dare you threaten me?” he retaliated.

“Trust me! You don’t wanna know who I am!” she stared at him from head to toe and smirked. “UNNIE!!!” her assistant came in. “Take care of this scum bag for me!”

“No problem!” Hani saluted.

Jihyun went to hold Jaejoong’s father as they leave and guided him to the hallway. “Can you really do that?” he whispered.

“Ani… I was just playing with his mind.” she snickered.

“YAH!!!” he hit her head with his knuckles. “Since when did you become a gangster?”

“Miahn… I won’t do it again. I promise!” she added. “Do you have to go through this stairs every day? You’re crazy, abeoji!”

“It made my bones stronger.” he chuckled. “Where are we going anyway?”

“I’ll take you to the hospital to have you checked, and if everything’s okay, we’ll eat a lot coz you need to gain more fat, and then to my office! Hehehe!”

“Waaaa~ That’s a handful! But I’m all for it since I’m spending it with my Jihyunnie…”

They continued to her car and started a new chapter in their lives.