Of Luck

I'm Taking You Back

“Oppa… When are you coming back?” Jihyun moped over the phone while taking a quick break from piles of work. She had her chin on the table and doodling on a piece of paper.

“Aigooo~ You miss me already?” Woojin replied who was still at the ranch.

“Of course! Pft!”

“I’m sorry sweetheart… I have to stay longer coz it’s harvest season. You know how it is right?”

“Yeaahhh… It’s been very busy here as well.”

“Speaking of which… I heard about what happened last week with Jaejoong and the president. How are you holding up?”

“Okay, I guess. Bumki oppa has been really helpful and abeoji has been very supportive as well.”

“But why do you seem so down?”

Jihyun stood with her phone and went to the window. “I dunno... It’s just very tiring.”

“Hang in there okay? If you want to go away for a bit, you can always come over.” he suggested. “It also wouldn’t hurt if you talk to Jaejoong. He can help out or advise you with things.”

“Oppaaaa… How can you even say that? He has a girlfriend already!” she scolded. “Besides, I’m happy and contented with my life.”

“Riigghhhttt… Keep telling yourself that…”

“Oppa, I gotta go!” she cut him off when Hani came in. “I’ll call you again a’right?”

“Neehhh! Hwaiting baby girl!” he mused.

“Mhmmm! Bye now!” she hang up.

Jihyun went back to her table and dropped her phone on top of it after taking a seat. “Yes unnie?”

“We got a problem.” Hani panted looking worried.

“What?”

“Gangnam Ads called an hour ago and they’re pulling out! They also sent this…”

Jihyun instantly stood and snatched the letter Hani was holding. As she read the contents, the reality sunk in and all her hard work came crashing down right before her eyes. Those nights where she stayed up late became nothing but a waste and it fuelled her anger. She was like bomb of frustration that exploded out of nowhere.

“ARE YOU ING KIDDING ME??? HUH??? ARE THEY EVEN ING USING THEIR BRAINS??? THIS ISN’T A GAME!!!”

“Jihyun-ah… Relax… I already informed Bumki oppa and President Kim about this and they’re in the middle of coming up with a plan.”

“WHAT PLAN? THIS BETTER WORK UNNIE OR GOD FORBID I WILL SUE THEIR ASSES FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT!!!”

Jihyun’s mentor and adviser suddenly came as if they heard the yells from the opposite side of the floor.

Bumki went to her side and placed an arm around her shoulder. “Aigooo Jihyunnie… I knew you’ll freak out!”

“OF COURSE I’LL FREAK OUT! I WAS WORKING SO HARD THESE PAST FEW DAYS AND IT WAS ALL FOR NOTHING??? THAT TY COMPANY!!!”

Jihyun was clearly losing it. She was burning from an all consuming anger and it scared Hani. It was the first time seeing her fuming mad, even the people outside her office started talking about the commotion.

“Whoa! Whoa! Calm down Jihyun…” her adviser butted in. “We already found a solution to your problem.”

Jaejoong, Tiffany and Minjun just stepped out of the elevator when they can already hear Jihyun’s thundering voice.

“THIS IS ING UNACCEPTABLE!!! CAN’T THEY AT LEAST GIVE ME TIME TO LOOK FOR A REPLACEMENT? URRGGGHHHHH!!!”

“Hey… Hey…” Bumki held her trembling shoulders. “I said relax… Like abeoji said, we already found a solution.”

“THIS BETTER ING WORK OPPA! I’M SO TIRED OF ALL THIS !!!”

Jaejoong came in the room and saw her on the verge of tears. He knows how frustrated and angry she was and he wanted to ran to her side.

“Jihyun-ah…” his father called.

She turned and caught eyes with Jaejoong. If only stares could talk, he would’ve told that her that everything’s gonna be okay. If only stares could talk, she would’ve asked him to help her.

“Ehem!” Tiffany cleared and Jihyun looked away. “Jaejoong’s appa called us earlier and told us what happened so we came here right away.”

Jihyun turned her back to stop herself from lashing out even more.

Bumki spoke instead. “Thank you very much for coming over despite the quick notice. The ad agency that Jihyun hired pulled out and the opening of Shinsegae is a month away. Everyone was working hard on it especially Jihyun and this unfortunate event is a huge blow to her.”

They never realized that uncontrollable tears of frustration leaked out of Jihyun’s eyes. Good thing she had her back against them or they would’ve seen her breaking down under pressure.

She later covered to muffle her sobs.

“We understand, sir.” Jaejoong spoke in concern. “We will do our best to help you any way we can.”

“Thank you, Jaejoong-shi.” Bumki bowed. “Hani-ah… Why don’t you give them a tour around the floor while President Kim and I discuss matters with Jihyun?”

“Neh!” she bowed and led the three of them.

“Jae…” the old man called. “I need you to stay.”

With that, Jaejoong stayed while Tiffany and Minjun left with Hani. When the door closed, Bumki placed an arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer. “Hey… It’s okay…”

“Oppaaaa…” she cried.

“Aigooo Jihyunnie… Take a seat first…” he grabbed tissues from a box and handed it to her. “Here…” she took it and poured her heart after covering her face with it. “Everything’s gonna work out. These kinds of things happen all the time…”

President Kim left Jaejoong for a bit to approach her as well. “He’s right dear. This is just the beginning of challenges you’re about to face.”

“Miahnae…” she mumbled with a croaking voice.

“It’s okay. We understand… Feeling better?” he asked.

Jihyun ditched the drenched tissues and sniffled. “Neehhhh…”

Bumki took a fresh tissue and wiped the corner of her eyes. “Aigooo~ Your makeup is all messed up now.”

“But still pretty… Right Jae?” his father asked.

“N-Neh???” his eyes rounded at him and then saw Jihyun being nervous in the middle of getting herself together. “I mean… Neh!!! Ssh-She is!”

Bumki chuckled and walked to his partner. “I guess Jihyun is okay now. Back to work people!”

They left and everything fell silent.

Jihyun still couldn’t control her emotions so she kept blinking to stop the tears from falling. ‘You’re just embarrassing yourself, Jihyun! Stop being a baby!’ “Errmmm… This is…” her voice shook terribly making her pause from time to time. “This is the concept… for Shin… segae…” she pushed a folder.

Jaejoong leaned closer and accidentally brushed his hand on her fingers. They looked at their joined hands as if an electric shock passed through their veins. They felt the connection but neither wanted to show it.

He then shifted his gaze to her soaking eyes. “G-Gwenchana?”

She pulled back and nodded. “N-Neh… I-If you have any questions, just ask me…” she sniffled.

“Okay…”

Jaejoong and Jihyun is now officially working together as partners. He pretty much stayed in his seat, watching every move she makes, while she pretended to be busy with anything she can get her hands on. It may be awkward, but for them, being in the same room, breathing the same air, and feeling each other’s presence became a good start.