Being A CEO

I'm Taking You Back

It was Monday, 9:00am when Jihyun found herself riding an elevator together with her uncle and his secretary. They were heading at the top floor of a 7-storey modern building so it’s pretty much a short trip.

Jihyun turned to a mirror behind her and fixed her blazer and high waist skirt, and her neatly combed brown hair.

“Jihyun-ah, stop it! You’ve been doing that for the last two hours!” Woojin scolded.

“Fine…” she sighed.

The elevator stopped and they paraded through cubicles of buzzing employees going straight to an office.

“This is your workspace my dear!” Woojin walked in with arms wide open.

It occupied almost half of the entire floor and has tall windows up to the ceiling, boasting a beautiful view of the Han River. There were long couches for meetings with a glass table where a vase full of lavenders left the room fragrant. The floor was fully carpeted and the furniture were from a famous designer.

“Uwaaaa~ This is so cool…” Jihyun mused and sat on the swivel chair. “T-This is mine?”

“Mhmmm! Do you like it?” her uncle sat on a club chair across her table.

“O-of course!” she touched her brand new iMac. “Whoa…”

Bumki also took a seat. “Jihyunnie… All the files that you requested are saved in there. Our lessons will still continue but only when you're available so it won't affect your work.”

“Yes oppa…” she kicked her heels off and started swinging her chair. “So? What’s next?”

Woojin nodded to Bumki and he laid a folder on her table. “This is a proposal for a department store that your uncle bought. It was close to being shut down but he decided to buy it out.”

Jihyun instantly snatched the file and read the contents.

The adults quietly waited for her verdict and could already see her game face on.

“Why was it losing in the first place?” she asked.

“Mismanagement and the owner took all the profits and escaped to Macau.” he explained.

“Wait! Hold up! If we will work on this project, we have to make sure that everything has been legally transferred to my uncle. I don’t want getting into some ruckus coz someone forgot to do their job properly.”

Woojin’s face turned proud after hearing her talk with confidence while Bumki continued speaking. “You don’t have to worry about anything. I did all the paperwork and everything has been transferred under Woojin’s name and yours…” he stood and laid another file in front of her. “Please sign here and your seal here.”

“Ehh? Why me?” she looked at her uncle.

“Just do it! Aish!” he scolded.

She rolled her eyes and did as told.

“Since that’s done!” Woojin stood. “Bro! Let’s introduce her to the staff!”

Bumki agreed and she followed the two of them.

“Hey guys! Gather around! I need your attention!” Woojin hollered and every person on the floor stood up. “This is my niece, Ahn Jihyun!” he pulled her to the front, placing his hands on her shoulders. “You will report directly to her as she is the CEO of this company. I want you to treat her like you do to me or Bumki-shi! Araseo?”

“NEEHHH!!!” “WELCOME JIHYUN-SHI!” “WE LOOK FORWARD WORKING WITH YOU!!!”

She bowed ninety degrees and showed a genuine smile. “Annyeong haseyo! It’s a pleasure to meet all of you and I’m also looking forward to share fun memories with my staff.” she told them. “My uncle trusted me with a huge responsibility and I am in no way the best or the smartest person for that. But I will do everything I can to not let him down, not let all of you down, and not let my parents down. Please watch over me.” she bowed again.

Her uncle hugged her and everyone clapped. “HWAITING WOOJIN-SHI!” “HWAITING JIHYUN-SHI!”

“Dude! We still need to show her something…” Bumki whispered.

“Oh right!” they broke apart and held Jihyun’s wrist while heading to the elevator.

“Oppa? Wae? Where are you taking me?” she asked.

“Don’t you think you need something else?” they stepped in.

“Huh? I have two of the best mentors in the world... the friendliest staff I could ever have... I couldn’t ask for more!” she said.

“Nah-uh…” Bumki interrupted.

She jogged in her heels while being towed out to the main lobby. “That my dear, is yours!” Woojin pointed.

Her eyes glistened at a silver Aston Martin Vanquish, heavily tinted and with chrome wheels. “Holy ssshhit!” she walked around running her fingers through the exterior. “Is this really happening? I’m dreaming, am I?”

“No Jihyun!” Bumki smirked. “Everything is real!”

“B-but this is too expensive! Can we even afford this?” she stammered.

“Yah! Are you underestimating me and my partner?” her uncle nudged Bumki. “Dealing with stocks is our hobby!”

Jihyun walked back to them and placed both hands on her hips. “Oppa… My loft is just two blocks away from here. I can walk home you know?!”

“Aigooo Jihyunnie… You’re the CEO slash owner of this building. Every nutjob in this country probably knows that already. It’s just a matter of time that someone will attack you out of nowhere!”

“Oppa! You’re scaring me!”

“It’s true, Jihyun!” Bumki interrupted. “You’ll have to adjust to your new life. Not that we want you turning into some diva or some mogul hotshot coz we know how humble and sweet you are, but there are certain situations that we need to avoid.”

She sighed.

“Here you go dear!” Woojin wiggled the key to her face.

She grabbed it and went back to the building.

“Aren’t you gonna give it a try?” he yelled.

“Not now! I have work to do!” she hissed.

The two men followed her with a triumphant smile.