Helper

I'm Taking You Back

Jihyun buried herself with work in the following days. She comes in earlier more than anyone and leaves so late such that the last person she sees is the security guard in the lobby.

One morning, Bumki and Woojin came to her office and saw her going through the computer.

“JIhyun-ah… Here! Have breakfast first!” her uncle showed a take out of club sandwich and coffee.

“Just put it over there…” she gestured at her table.

“Yah! I said eat! I don’t care what you’re doing, but stop and eat!” he scolded.

The threatening voice alone made her stand to take her meal. “Miahn…” she murmured.

“Aigoo Jihyunnie~” Bumki sat on one of the chair. “It’s great seeing you work hard but you also have to take care of your body. Do you even sleep?”

“I do! It’s just that I tend to forget about those things at times. Miahnae…” she ate slowly.

Woojin also took a sit. “Idiot!”

“That’s why we’re here…” Bumki said.

“W-Wae?” she mumbled.

“I have here some profiles we’ll be interviewing to be your personal assistant…”

“Huh? Do I really have to?”

“Didn’t you just say, you tend to forget about certain things? We’ll this is the solution to that!”

“Errmmm…” she took a sip from her drink. “Can I do it instead? You know?! Since they’ll be working for me, I should be the one to choose, right?”

“Sure!” Woojin replied and stood. “The applicants are already outside and you know where to find us if you need anything.”

“Neehhh… Thanks oppa!” she took the files from Bumki afterwards.

When the adults left her eating, Jihyun scanned the thick pile of folders. It consisted of resumes all of which were females in their late 20’s, graduates from different universities in Korea, have satisfactory work backgrounds, so pretty much a good batch.

“Kwak Ha Ni…” she read. “She looks familiar...”

Jihyun lowered the sandwich and picked that specific file. “I swear I saw her before… But where? Hmmm…” she then reached for the telephone to call the receptionist. “Can you please send in Kwak Hani?”

“Coming right up, Jihyunnie…” the lady replied.

“Thanks!” she hang up.

Just under 2 minutes, the receptionist knocked, opened the door, and led a girl in corporate attire. “Go straight ahead.”

“Kamsahamnida…” the latter bowed.

Jihyun noticed a shadow coming at her so she lowered the paper that she was reading and choked at her drink. “S-… It’s you?”

“J-Jihyun-shi? Omo!” the girl covered her gaping mouth.

They were shocked to see each other after such a long time. Both changed in appearance but nothing can compare at Jihyun’s transformation.

“Is it… really you Ahn Jihyun?” she asked again.

Jihyun grabbed the paper and quickly stood. “T-Take a seat… I-I’ll be back…” she ran out and went straight to an office on the opposite side of the floor.

“OPPA!!! OPPA!!!” she came panting and slammed the paper on Bumki’s table.

Woojin was also there as they were in a middle of having a breakfast. “Jihyun-ah! Wae?”

“I have no time playing around! Cut me some slack will ya!”

Bumki picked up the paper and was confused. “Huh? Who’s this? Dude, do you know her?” he handed it to his partner.

Woojin took the sheet and stared at the picture. They saw his eyes grew big and even squinting at it for a double take.

“Isn’t she the maid who works for Jaejoong?” he coughed. “Holy ! It is her?”

“OPPA!!! I’m being serious! This isn’t funny!” she fumed.

“Do you see me laughing? I have nothing to do with this Jihyun! It was Bumki who picked those applicants!”

Their glares went to the culprit. “I did choose them! But swear to God! I didn’t know she was working for them!” he then raised the girl’s resume. “Look! It’s not even written here!”

“ THIS!!!” Jihyun snatched it and walked out.

The two men immediately stood to follow her.

Before entering her office, Jihyun took a deep breath and composed herself. ‘Relax Jihyun! Just interview her and get on with it… Breathe…’

“Sorry about that…” she said in a professional manner and sat on the swivel chair.

Hani, Jaejoong’s former maid and also the same person who helped Jihyun get dressed that night of the gathering was in awe and stunned at the person she was staring at. It’s like looking at someone who died and came back to life as an angel. ‘Wow! I will now believe in miracles starting today.’

Woojin and Bumki also came very poised in their usual suits and stood behind her.

“I’ll cut to the chase a’right?” Jihyun said. “Tell me why you’re here?”

“T-To be hired as your personal assistant. I used to work for a very important person before…” Jihyun looked down to avoid her gaze and cleared . “B-But something came up so I was forced to look for another job.”

“What happened? Were you terminated? Did you resign?” Jihyun kept a cold expression.

“You didn’t know?” Hani wondered.

“Know what?” she looked at her.

Hani’s eyes went to Woojin who was signaling her not to talk.

Jihyun noticed him so she looked up and he instantly grinned at her.

“Uhmmm…” Hani continued. “I resigned due to personal reasons.”

“Okay… I have all the information that I need.” Jihyun said. “Can you please wait outside while I discuss the result with my uncle?”

“Ye…” she stood and gave a heartwarming look. “I’m happy to see you Jihyun-shi…” she bowed ninety degrees and left.

As soon as the door closed, Bumki and Woojin took a seat across the table. “What do you think?” her uncle asked.

“I dunno…You tell me…” she shrugged.

“Ahn Jihyun! What are you so mad about?”

“I just hate things like this! Urgh!” she crumpled Hani’s resume and slumped in her chair. “I can’t think right now!”

“Jihyun-ah!” Woojin called. “Whether you like it or not, these things happen in the real world. Don’t let personal feelings get mixed up with work!”

“Your uncle’s right, dear…” Bumki said. “And it’s actually fortunate that we came across with Hani-shi…” they looked at him. “You know her work ethics when she was with Jaejoong right?” they gave a faint nod. “She’s not a stranger to you guys anymore so I’m pretty sure it’ll be a walk in the park for the both of you.”

Jihyun straightened up and sighed. “So should I hire her?”

“It’s up to you…” Woojin replied. “If you think she can help you, if you think she can make things easier for you, then go for it!”

“Oppa…” she looked at her uncle. “I just hope I’m making the right decision.”

“Tch! Relax sweetheart! If you won’t like her, then we will find a replacement. It’s that easy!”

“Fine!” she blew out an air and crossed both hands on the table with a stern look on both men. “But tell me exactly what happened while I was away!”

Both of them looked at each other as if they were in trouble. “Yah… I know how bad at hiding secrets you two are, so tell me. I promise I won’t be mad.”

Woojin crossed one leg over the other and started talking. “The president was ousted in the middle of his term…”

Jihyun listened with intent and took everything with an open mind. They didn’t even have to explain to her in detail for she knows politics and its dark side like the back of her hand.

“That’s why everyone who worked for the president including those who worked for Jae was also removed.” Bumki added.

“I’m sorry Jinhyunnie… I didn’t want to bother you with these things anymore.” Woojin said.

“It’s okay oppa. I understand.” she smiled in honesty and picked up the telephone once again. “Please let Hani-shi back in…”

Hani came and stood behind the two men.

“You’re hired…” Jihyun said. “I saw your loyalty and passion before so I hope you still have it.”

“Of course!!! Kamsahamnida Jihyun-shi!” she bowed multiple times.

“Just call me Jihyun! It’s fine! I just wanna ask you not to mention anything about my past.”

“Neh!!! I understand! I don’t have any problems with that either!” Hani mused.

Woojin stood and raised a hand to her. “Congrats Hani! Welcome to the company! Please take care of my baby girl, a’right?!”

Jihyun slapped her forehead.

“Not a problem, sir! I’ll do my best like I did with…” she bit her lip. “I mean, I’ll do my best!” they shook hands.