Getting Along

I'm Taking You Back

Everything went smooth after that day. Work has been bearable for Jihyun especially that Jaejoong have his subtle means of helping her as much as he can.

However, she distanced herself from him. Aside from their past, Tiffany made it harder for the both of them. They rarely talk, and if they do, it’s only about work. They were also hardly left alone by themselves especially when the clingy girlfriend is around.

Jihyun’s office is where they work. She stayed behind her desk while Jaejoong and Tiffany work by the couches. Minjun and Hani were also around to assist their respective bosses.

Since office hours have ended, Tiffany approached her with Jaejoong in tow. “Jihyun-ah! We’ll go ahead. See you on Monday!”

She looked up to her and bowed. “Neh…”

“A-Aren’t you going home?” Minjun asked.

“You know how my boss is… She’s addicted to work and it’s not even funny.” Hani scowled.

Jaejoong looked at her in worry while she kept browsing through her iMac. “Unnie! Shut up!”

“Rigghhttt…” her secretary smirked.

“By the way…” Jihyun spoke to her. “Can you please check why some kept calling me in the middle of the night? That bastard is pissing me off!”

Minjun snorted so Jaejoong secretly glared at him.

“Why don’t you answer the call so you’ll know who it is?” Hani suggested.

“I don’t talk to strangers! Period! Fix it will ya!” she demanded.

“Okay! Fine!” Hani gave up. “I’ll find whoever that “” is…” she side eyed Jaejoong.

Tiffany pulled him away to leave while Hani and Jihyun continued working.

----------

After sending Tiffany home, Jaejoong met up with his dad at their house who was at the living room. He had already changed into some casual clothes when he joined him. “Hi dad…”

“Oh! You’re here?” the old man asked.

“Of course! I’ve always been coming home early.” he replied. “Where’s mom and noona?”

“As usual, out with their friends.” his father sighed. “Oh wait… Yah! Aren’t you even ashamed of yourself? Someone’s working her off and stays up late at night, yet you’re here watching TV? Aish!”

“Dad! You know how much I want to stay with Jihyun. Hell I would even do all the work for her! But the situation won’t let me!” Jaejoong argued.

“Excuses! Excuses!” he frowned and stood as if he was looking for something in his pocket. “Where is it?”

Jaejoong looked up to him. “What?”

“My pill container…”

Jaejoong also stood and started looking in the couch. “What does it look like?”

“It’s a plastic yellow bottle with white cap.” the old man scratched his nape and paused. “I think I left it at work.” he then tapped Jaejoong’s shoulder. “Son? Can you please go and get it for me? Jihyun will kill me if I skip my meds.”

“Mwoh? Since when did you become so obedient with her? You don’t even listen to me!” he complained.

“Because she takes care of me more than you do. Now go get it! Ppalli!” the old man ordered.

“Excuse me?!” he protested but his father pushed him to the door. “Uwaaa~ You’re unbelievable dad… Jinjja!”

Jaejoong left without knowing that the thing he will be looking for was in his father’s pocket. “These kids! Must I do everything for them?” he sighed. “Miahnae Jaejoongie… Jihyun does take care of me more but I love you both just as much.”

Since it was almost midnight when Jaejoong arrived at the building, the security guard was left alone by the reception area and waved at him. “Jaejoong-shi, what are you doing here so late?”

“My dad forgot something in his office. I need to get it.”

“Aaahhhh… Okay!”

He continued to the elevator and went up.

Jaejoong was greeted by a dim hallway and empty cubicles along the way. He went straight to his father’s office but a brightly lit room caught his attention.

It was the one in the corner so his feet unknowingly moved towards it. He slowly pushed the door and as he walked in, the utter silence could pop his ear. ‘She must’ve left already… Why are you even here, Jae?’

He turned around but a sudden movement caught his attention.

Jihyun curled like a fetus in one of the couches with hands under her cheek. She thought she was dreaming when his presence made her flinch.

“Jae…” she whispered.

Never had she realized that the person she called was right there staring and watching her sleep just inches away from her.  Jaejoong let his eyes wander at the perfect features of her face. Long lushes, contoured nose, silky skin, and that pink full lips. Oh how he wanted to kiss them right then and there.

But the way her eyebrows pinch together showed the heavy load she was carrying. He felt helpless and useless. ‘Do you have to go through this every day? All you have to do ask, Jihyun…’ he raised one finger and gently traced her face. ‘I’m so sorry that I can’t be there for you. I’m so sorry if you have to go through this all by yourself... 

Her eyes slowly opened. “J-Jae?”

He froze.

Staring at each other that close took their breaths away. It’s that moment where everything seemed perfect and sweet as if none of them wanted to move.

“Miahnae…” he whispered.

Jihyun wanted to stay longer but she couldn’t.

She rose and went to her desk. “Do you need something?” she frantically gathered her stuff.

Jaejoong followed and stood across the table. “I…uhmm…came to get appa’s meds…”

“It’s in a drawer under his table.” she said.

Jaejoong watch as she slung her bag and grabbed the box filled with paperwork and headed to the door. “Can we talk? Please?”

“Not now, Jae… I’m busy!” she continued.

He ran in front of her. “What do you mean, you’re busy? It’s a ing Friday night goddamnit!” he snapped. “Jihyun, please! Stop avoiding me! Let’s talk!”

“There’s nothing to talk about, Jae. We’re fine as it is already! Don’t make things complicated!” she sidestepped and hurriedly went into the elevator.

Jaejoong caught up before it closed and joined her. “We are not fine, Jihyun! Ever since you left that night… IT HAS NEVER BEEN ING FINE!”

Jihyun kept a cold expression. “Please Jae… I’m tired…” the door opened so she walked ahead.

The guard saw them and greeted. “Oh! Did you really went to get the president’s medicines or fetch our Jihyunnie?” he joked.

“See?” Jihyun sneered.

Jaejoong shifted his attention to the guard. “Both actually! It’s dangerous for girls to go home late. We don’t want our boss to get hurt, right?”

“Of course! You guys have a goodnight!” the guard bowed.

Jihyun forced a smile while Jaejoong bowed back.

When she reached the Aston Martin, she deliberately dropped the box and opened the door. “This is why I refuse talking to you! This is a place where we work and one thing I hate the most are gossips!” she picked up the box and hurled it on the seat.

“Since when did you start giving a about what people think? I thought you’re this badass chick who doesn’t care about anyone?” he argued.

She slammed the door and went into the driver side. “That’s where you are mistaken! I care about my uncle, my reputation, my company, and all those people who believe in me. I don’t want to let them down and let everything go to waste! Goodnight Kim Jaejoong!” she revved up the engine and sped up.

Jaejoong ran to his car and immediately tailed her.

“What the hell?” Jihyun was stunned after seeing an Audi R8 catching up fast.

She stepped on the gas and gained distance in an instant.

Good thing the street was almost empty. They turned it into a racetrack where two sports cars swerved at every lane.

Jaejoong shifted gears and easily caught up to the Aston Martin’s rear bumper. ‘I’m sorry Jihyun… I can’t let you go this time.’

Jihyun spotted a sharp turn so she shifted to make a drift. “Oh !” she gasped.

He saw her car lose control but managed to recover out of dumb luck. “Goddamnit Jihyun!!!”

Jaejoong decided to make a move to avoid further danger. He shifted gear and stepped on the gas taking the lead. He swerved right in front of her and they stopped.

He immediately went out of his car. “YAH!!! ARE YOU ING CRAZY??? ARE YOU SUICIDAL NOW??? HUH???”

She also left her car and walked to a different direction away from him. “GET THE AWAY FROM ME!!!”

Jaejoong followed Jihyun and ran as fast as he could. He can’t think straight but he knows how much he wanted to be there. He stopped in front of her, sweating and all and catching his breath, trying to make up words from what his heart wanted to say.

“I THINK WE CAN TALK NOW SINCE WE ARE NOT IN YOUR ING BUILDING RIGHT???” he snarled.

Jihyun pushed him and continued walking. “ing idiot!”

Just as she was a few meters away from her car, Jaejoong slipped and hit his elbow on the ground. “FFUUCCKKKK!” he hissed.

Jihyun turned. “Great!” she rolled her eyes and went back to him. She held his arm to support him up and made him sit on the driver’s seat of her car. “I never thought you’re a klutz!”

“Now you know!” he retaliated.

Blood dripped through his sweater and he watched her reach through the glove compartment. She then crouched in front of him and rolled up his sleeves to clean the huge gash.

“Do you always carry a first aid kit?” he wondered.

“Mhmmm! Woojin oppa always get cut at the farm. This has been really helpful so far.” she said.

“AAHHH!!!” he flinched.

“Don’t be such a baby! It’s just an ointment…”

Jaejoong watch as Jihyun blew air into his cut. It was like all his temper and rage against her slowly vanished and all he could ever do was stare at her.

“Aaaahhh!” he flinched again.

“Stop staring! You’ve been irritating me every time you do that!”

“Aha! So you’ve been watching me all this time!?”

“NO!!!” she poked his wound making him scowl at her. “Hani unnie just tells me about it! Tch… There! You’re done!” she tapped the dressing over his wound.

Jihyun was cleaning up her kit when Jaejoong held his hand. “Jihyun-ah… I’m serious…” she was calm and emotionless even if she wanted to scream at his face for giving her sleepless nights. “Yes?”

He looked straight at her and seeing her eye to eye was all he ever dreamed of. “I’m taking you back…”