The Past

What's Going On?

This whole story is going to be in Kyungra's POV. If it ever changes, I'll be sure to tell you all. :) Sorry for the long wait. It's just that I'm going to travel this Wednesday, and we're busy with packing, so yeah, so sorry. Mian mian~ 

 

                                                                                                  

 

Chen invited me to hang out with him. "Let's have a 'cousin-bonding' day." he said on the phone last night. That Chen, he can be really cheeky sometimes, but I love him. He is no doubt my favorite cousin. 

 

We went to the arcades, then we went bowling. He then brought me to this new restaurant called 'BenBen Palace'. I have to say, the owner sure knows how to give restaurants fancy names. 

After we're done with our orders, we chatted while we waited for our food and drinks to arrive. 

"I see that you at bowling." he said. 

"Excuse me, but my leg was injured when we played at the arcade okay." I flipped my hair. 

"Yeah right... Sure Kyungra, sure." 

"And I see that you at-" 

"FOOD'S HERE!" he yelled. 

"Aish." 

"You were saying?" Chen asked, taking a sip of his orange juice. 

"I said, you at mmph-" he shoved a piece of french fries into my mouth. 

"Can you not!" I said taking a deep breath and held the bridge of my nose, looking up in frustation. He just laughed. 

 

You know what, I take back what I said, about him being my favorite cousin.

 

I was casually stuffing my mouth with some pieces of beef ribs until Chen spoke up. "You pig! Eat like a girl." 

"I can't, it's just so good."

He shook his head. 

Just then, my phone rang. An unknown number showed up. I answered it anyway.

"Hello? Yes, this is Kyungra. May I know who this is?" I asked politely, trying hard to chew and swallow my food quietly.

"WHAT?!" I choked on my food, when she answered me and told me something. 

Chen quickly got off his chair and helped me. Thankfully, I managed to gulped down everything. I let out a sigh of relief. 

"Yes. Okay, I'll be there as fast as I can. Oh, and thank you so much."

"Chen, let's go." I said and place some cash on the table. 

"What- why- what's going on? But I should pay, not you!"

"Let's just go! I'll explain on the way!" I yelled, and we made a mad dash out of the restaurant. 

 

In the car, I told Chen about the news. He almost veered into another car when he heard it. 

 

No, Kyungra, don't cry. Don't cry. Do not cry. The lady probably mistaken your house for someone else's. But boy, was I wrong. Sirens could be heard and smokes can be seen from a mile away, before we arrived... at my house.

 

IMPOSSIBLE. It can't be. It cannot be my house that's.... 

But firemen and their trucks were parked right infront of my house and there was a huge crowd there. I think almost everyone in my neighborhood was there. 

 

Before Chen could even properly stop the car, I push open my door, and sprinted towards my house. As I was running, I remembered that my parents were in there. They didn't go out but stayed at home. That realization made me run even faster. I didn't even realized that my cheeks were already stained with my tears and I could barely hear Chen's yelling over the noise and mostly, my thoughts. 

 

Without any concience, I almost ran into my burning house, hoping that my parents were still alive; but before I could, two big men blocked my way. While I was blocked by the men, I saw my parents' bodies being carried out of the house by another three firemen. Next thing, I know, that I was being carried away by someone. 

 

"No! No! You have to let me in there! My parents! No! Please! Let me go!" I wailed, kicking and throwing my arms everywhere. Chen placed me on the ground. 

"Mum.... Dad...." I sobbed quietly as I dropped onto my knees on the rough road. 

He kneeled down next to me. He held me in his arms and comforted me. "Kyungra... I'm - I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have-"

"Just shut up!" He looked taken aback.

"I'm sorry... It's not your fault..." I said weakly. He still looked guilty. 

"It's not your fault Jongdae." I said with more confidence. He calmed down a little. 

 

"I want to see Mum and Dad." I muttered, and Chen led me to the ambulance. I could barely walk since my legs felt like they were going to fail me any minute now, and my hands were shaking as we got nearer to the ambulance. 

 

"Hi." Chen greeted a man who stood still infront of the back doors of the ambulance. 

"Can I help you?" the man asked. 

"Yes. She wants to see her parents. Can she?" 

"You're the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Han?" 

"Yes. I'm Han Kyungra." I said, wiping away some more tears. 

The man was convinced and opened the back doors to reveal two bodies covered with white blankets, with only their faces visible; on a bed with two doctors on either side, treating one body each. 

"This is their daughter." the man informed the two doctors. 

"Ah, nice to meet you." A lady doctor greeted me. 

I cracked a smile and stepped onto the van. But I went back down immediately, because my heart just dropped and I felt like my legs could seriously fail me at any moment now; because seeing how my parents looked like in that condition is just- I don't know how to describe it, but it was very very heartbreaking. 

 

Worst part is, I didn't even get to say 'goodbye'. I can't deal with this. I can't bear seeing them like that. I did the only logical thing; run away.

I ran to a nearby park and sat on the bench. I buried my face in my hands and regretted not being able to save them. 

 

Just then, I heard footsteps and I look up to see Chen. He sat down next to me. "Kyungra." he called.

"Hm?" I sighed. 

"The doctor told me to tell you something..." he announced.

"What is it?" I looked up at him. 

"She said that..." he paused. 

"I can't say it!" he whined.

"Just tell me!" I shook his shoulders.

"I can't!" 

"Say it!" I urged. 

"Okay." I let go of my grip on his shoulders and played my fingers hoping for the best. Hoping he'll say that the doctors did some miracle work on my parents, and now they're healthy as ever. But truth to be told when Chen said "She told me that your parents couldn't make it." he confessed. 

 

I felt something clogged up in my throat and I squeezed onto my fist so hard that I think my knuckles were already white. I felt so dizzy, I can barely keep my head in place and stopped it from moving around and around and around...I felt a pair of hands cup my face, then POOF! My vision was gone and everything was pitch black. 

 


 

Next thing I know, I was in a room, on a white bed. Chen fell asleep next to me. I saw some sort of tube was connected to my left arm. I shook Chen's shoulder lightly. 

"Chen. Chen. Wake up."

He greeted me with a smile. 

"Are we at the hospital?" I asked, sitting up a little. 

"No." he said sarastically. 

I slapped his arm. 

"Ow!" he winced. I made a face at him. He laughed. 

"Yes, we are at a hospital. You fainted a while ago."

"I fainted?" I asked myself, scratching my head. 

"What time is it now?" I asked him.

"It's almost 5AM. The doctors said that you can stay here for the night- or morning in this case, for free of charge." he informed. 

"Oh... wait but-"

"Don't worry I'll stay here too Cuz."

I smiled. 

 

"Chen, where are my parents-" I stopped right there, when all the memories of what happened earlier came flooding through my mind. 

"Nevermind." I said, and cleared my throat.

He looks uncomfortable, not knowing how to change the topic of our conversation and how to change the tense atmosphere in the room. 

I gave that a try. "So, Chen, where am I going to live now?"

"The doctors said that they'll call the Social Care or Orphanage tomorrow, to see whether they have space for one more."

I think he noticed how disappointed I looked. 

"It's alright Chen, I think that's the best for now. I just have to bare with that, and then I'll try to get a job and before you know it, I'll be out of the orphanage and will be living in my very own modern apartment!" I imagined. He chuckled at my childishness. 

"I know, but I refused the doctor's offer for that and told them that you'll be living with me."

"But don't you live with your friends? Another 4 or 5 guys right?"

"So?"

"So.." I said, moving my hands up and down the sides of my body, to show him that I'm obviously a girl. 

"Yeah. So? I told my friends, and they're cool with it."

"They are?" I asked, suprised. 

"Are you fine with that?"

"Hm, how cute are your friends? On scale of 1 to 10." I questioned him. 

"Hey hey." he warned.

I laughed. 

"I'll take your offer Mr.Chen. Thank you very the muchos." I said.

"My pleasure Miss Kyungra." he bowed his head. 

 

You know what, he IS my best cousin.

 

 

And that's how I end up living with my cousin, Chen and his friends. That was back in 2006. September 8, 2006. Back when I was 13. I was just a kid back then, didn't understand much. I remember that I cried almost every night reminiscing the memories my parents and I spent together and thinking that we can't make anymore new memories saddens me. But now, at the age of 19, I understand more and I try to make the best of what life has given me. 

 


 

Here I am with the boys at the beach, playing under the hot sun, on the hot sand and in the cold sea. But there's a cold breeze blowing from time to time, so I'll say that it's a great day to be outside. 

The sun's already setting, and it's a signal for us to head back. We packed everything up and made our way to the dorm.