The Lucky and the Sad

May Be

Heechul left Jaejoong's room, when a nurse came in and reminded them of the curfew.

Hechel had nagged a little and was about to start an argument with the nurse – quite typical for Heechul … –, but Jaejoong had shaken his head to silence him.

 

I'm fine, Heechul“, he had assured with a slight smile and had squeezed his friend's hand. „I'll try to sleep now.“
Heechul had obviously been discontented about leaving Jaejoong alone, but after two or three more affirmations, he had finally gone up to his own room.

 

Jaejoong smiled a little and laid down on his bed again. He still felt exhausted and the drone in his head increased again. It would be good for him to have some rest now.

Besides, he couldn't forget Heechul's words this afternoon and he definitely needed some time on his own to think about it.

Did he really ask for Yunho when he broke down?

 

Jaejoong ran his hands over his face and took a deep breath. If Heechul told him the truth, the next meeting with Yunho was going to be the most awkward situation in his whole life.
He didn't know Yunho. Three weeks had passed, since Jaejoong was admitted to the clinic and this was definitely not enough time to get to know someone.

Of course, they talked a lot with each other, especially when they sat together in the staff room at night, but the small bound that was created between the two men was definitely... TOO small or anything more than superficial midnight-talks about dancing and stuff.

It was this kind of „Hey, we're going to be friends someday“-relationship and not „The freak needs you when he breaks down“-thing.

 

Jaejoong lowered his hands and looked at the white ceiling. 'But, apparently, Yunho came up immediately when he heard of my break down...', he thought to himself and another light smile appeared on Jaejoong's lips, before he shook his head again. Who wouldn't come to his working place if a patient needed him?

 

Jaejoong was about to switch off the light on his nightstand, when a silent knock on the door was heard.

'Oh, oh...', he thought to himself and swallowed hard, but the door already opened and a smiling Yunho appeared in the door frame.

Ah, you're still awake“, he said with his usual calm voice and entered the room. He carried a white tray on his left hand and placed it on Jaejoong's nightstand.

I brought you another painkiller – but just take it, if you still need it or if you headache increases during the night.“, he said silently and placed both the painkiller and a glass of water on the nightstand.

 

Yunho raised his glance and looked directly into Jaejoong's eyes.

He lifted his eyebrows a little, when he saw Jaejoong's embarrassed face.

Why do you look at me like this?“, Yunho asked chuckling and grabbed the now empty tray again, letting it hang down next to his own leg.

 

Jaejoong blushed a little and opened his mouth.

I...“, he started, but interrupted himself to clear his throat first.

I wanted to thank you for your... support today...“

The blush on his face increased even more. He had literally never had a more awkward situation in his life ever.

Jaejoong kept his eyes on his blanket and the fabric nervously with his fingers.

 

Yunho chuckled again.

Not worth mentioning“, he said airily and taped with his forefinger under Jaejoong's chin to make him raise his glance. Yunho winked, when their eyes met, and he smiled again.

I need to keep you healthy, you know?“, he said and sat down on Jaejoong's mattress. „If you don't feel good, I don't have anyone to talk to at night.“

 

Jaejoong looked into Yunho's eyes and couldn't help but to chuckle. He ran his hand trough his dark hair and shrugged his shoulders shyly.
„But it's... quite awkward, isn't it?“, he mumbled with another chuckle and looked at Yunho again, searching for an indication of amusement or even antipathy in his eyes. „I mean, we do not know each other and than I wack out and I ask for you and –“


„Hey, I feel honored!“, Yunho interrupted laughing and punched Jaejoong's shoulder slightly. „I mean: Not even Kim Heechul was able to calm you down, but I was! So stop explain yourself!“

Both men bursted out in laughter and Yunho raised his hand to flatten Jaejoong's messy hair. „Besides, if you're condition becomes worse, I will have to find another date for my brother's birthday. And I think I don't want to.“

 

A little surprised, Jaejoong raised his eyebrows. At first, he didn't know what Yunho was talking about, but then he remembered Yunho's invitation after the dance competition.

Ah, right!“, Jaejoong said and laughed silently. „So you were serious about this?“

Yunho winked again. „Only if you want to.“

 

Smiling all over his face, Jaejoong nodded.

It would be a pleasure to accompany you on the eighth birthday of your brother“, Jaejoong said pretentiously and made both men laugh again.

Jaejoong didn't know, when – in the last weeks or even months – he had laughed that much the last time. Since he knew Yunho, his mood had definitely increased more and more with every day.

 

Yunho stood up from the bed again and grabbed his tray.

Perfect“, he said with a last smile and threw a brief look at the clock. „I'll come around again in 30 minutes, alright?“, he said and headed to the door. „So don't be afraid of nightmares, I'll dispel them.“ A smirk appeared on his pretty lips.

Yah! Stop making fun of me!“, Jaejoong exclaimed laughing and grabbed the second pillow on his bed. He threw it towards the door, but Yunho had already shut it, before the pillow could hit him.

A silent laughter was heard in front of the door.


* * * * *

 

'Don't you think you work yourself up into it?'

Heechul eyed himself in the mirror of his bathroom. He was brushing his teeth right now and stared into his own eyes, thinking about the conversation he had with Jaejoong before.

A little angered, Heechul spit the rest of toothpast into the sink and put his toothbrush a little too strong into its holding.

 

I'm not wotking mysel up into it.“, he muttered with knitted eyebrows and entered his bedroom again. Letting himself fall onto the mattress, he grabbed his mobile phone and looked at the display. No missing call, no text message, no e-mail...

'He's just busy right now.'

 

Heechul tried to swallow down the lump in his throat and grabbed his blanket to pull it over his thin body. He couldn't deny that he was waiting desperately for Hangeng's call or even a short reaction to one of Heechul's messages. But until now, Hangeng didn't try to get in touch with Heechul...

 

Right when he was about to close his eyes and try to sleep, his mobile phone began to rang and sent vibrations through the whole mattress. 'Speak of the devil', cut through Heechul's thoughts and never in his life, he grabbed a phone faster than this time.

Yes?!“

 

Hey Princess.“

Siwon's kind voice sounded through the phone and Heechul was quite glad that the younger man couldn't see his disappointed face right now. This wasn't Hangeng...

Hey“, Heechul mumbled silently and let himself drop into his pillows again. He sighted quietly and looked at the ceiling.
„Are you okay?“, Siwon asked silently and Heechul heard the quiet rustling of blankets and pillows. Obviously, Siwon was about to sleep, too.

 

Could be worse.“, Heechul answered and threw a brief glance at the clock on his nightstand. „Why are you still awake? It's quite late, isn't it?“
„I was out with some friends“, Siwon answered and he cought quietly. „How is Jaejoong? When you didn't come up to the foyer today, I asked the woman on the reception and she told me that you're with him. He fainted or something, right?“

 

...“
Heechul slapped his own forehead with his left palm and closed his eyes. Due to today's incidents, he had completely forgotten to call Siwon and cancel their meeting.

A slight chuckle came through his mobile phone. „Stop hitting yourself“, Siwon mumbled and Heechul could clearly imagine the smile on Siwon's face right now. He smiled a little, too, and put his hand back under the warm blanket.


„I forgot to call you, sorry...“, Heechul said silently. „It was a quite... exhausting day.“

Don't worry.“

Both men kept silent for some seconds, before Siwon sighted deeply and another rustling sounded through the phone, followed by a slight laughter.

I'm not used to not see you a whole day“, he mumbled quietly and Heechul smiled a little, while his cheeks automatically turned a little red. He would never admit it, but he enjoyed Siwon's continuous compliments and also his worries. Siwon always made him feel kind of... precious and it was quite pleasant to know, that someone likes you that much.

 

Don't tell me you've already missed me“, Heechul mumbled chuckling and his hair away from his forehead.

I really did.“ A laughter followed Siwon's words.

Don't go over the top!“, Heechul said chuckling and turned his head on the other side. His eyes hit the photo frame on his nightstand and made his smile disappear immediately. Hangeng's deep brown eyes looked directly into Heechul's.

 

Have you heard from Hangeng yet...?“

The question had let Heechul's lips before he could even think about it. He knew, that it would hurt Siwon when he mentioned him, but … maybe Siwon had really heard from him yet...

Heechul bit his lower lip and kept on staring at the photo frame, feeling his heart painfully clench in his chest.

 

It took some seconds, before Siwon answered.

No, I didn't...“

His voice was low and disappointed, causing a moment of guilt in Heechul. A deep sight was heard through the mobile phone and Heechul nodded slightly. „Ok...“

 

Let me guess: You hoped that HE was calling now and not me, right?“

 

Heechul frowned a little and rolled his eyes.

Oh, stop this reproachful tone, Siwon“, he mumbled and closed his eyes, placing his cold palm on his forehead. His head started to hurt and the fact, that he couldn't negate Siwon's question, made it even worse.

 

When Siwon answered, his voice turned from disappointed to angered. „How would you react on my stead, mh?“, he asked quiet but challenging and Heechul heard that Siwon sat up on his bed. „I'm visiting you every single day, I support you, I care for you, I attend to you, I do every-ing-thing for you and you don't even TRY to return my feelings! How would you ing react on my ing stead?!“

 

With every single word, Siwon's voice became louder and louder.

Heechul was a little perplexed. He had never heard Siwon in such a rage and – even more important – he had never heard him swear before.

Anger built up in Heechul's chest, slowly displacing his former bad conscience.

 

You can't force me to return your feelings, Siwon“, he mumbled as controlled as possible and squeezed the blanket between his thin fingers. Another lump built up in his throat and made it hard to breath. „Besides, I never told you that I would HAVE like... romantic feelings for y- “

 

A fake laughter interrupted him.

No, Heechul, you have never told me“, Siwon confirmed, still with anger in his actual calm voice. „But you let me hug and caress and kiss you, you took my hand when we were going for a walk, you cuddled up to me when we were lying in bed and you flirted with me the whole time! You did never TELL me, but you ACTED like –“

 

YOU ING KNOW THAT I STILL LOVE HANGENG.“
Siwon's reproaches made Heechul hit the ceiling. He sat up in his bed and clenched his hand around the mobile phone. His face was grimaced in anger.

I always told you that I love him and you KNEW it, but YOU kept on touching and kissing and hugging me and of course did I enjoy your touch – who wouldn't?! It's simply not enough, okay, Siwon? YOU – are simply – not – enough!“

 

As soon as Heechul had called out these words, all his anger disappeared. Slowly, the meaning of his words reached his mind and he clapped his hand over his mouth.

Not a single tone got through the phone. No words, no sounds, not even breathing.

Si- Siwon?“, Heechul mumbled silently and lowered his hand slowly.

Siwon? I – I'm sorry, I – I didn't mean to –“

 

I guess we better end this call now.“
Heechul winced when Siwon interrupted him. His voice was low, only a silent whisper, and its harried, pained tone cut right into Heechul's heart. Heechul grimaced his face in despair, tears filled his eyes.

Siwon, I'm sorry, I –“

Good night, Heechul...“

 

A continous beep came through the mobile phone and made Heechul's tears slop over. He lowered his phone and rammed his teeth into his lower lip, not being able to fight back a loud sobbing.

'You're such a bastard, Kim Heechul.'

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

 

Oh, oh... Poor Siwon, it kind of hurt to write this chapter, haha.
But Jaejoong and Yunho are slowly coming closer ;)