The slim line between delight and horror

May Be

Ready for some eight-year-old boys who will hunt you with their squirt guns?“

 

Jaejoong raised his glance from the book he was currently reading, when Yunho surprisingly entered his room and looked at him.
„What?“, he mumbled a little confused and knitted his eyebrows, before he suddenly remembered the birthday of Yunho's brother. Jaejoong slapped his palm against his forehead.

, sorry, I totally forgot about it.“, Jaejoong mumbled apologetically and placed his book on the nightstand.

 

He got up from his bed and looked at Yunho, who placed both hands on his hips and eyed Jaejoong dispraisingly. But after some seconds, Yunho bursted out in his typical laugh and winked. „It doesn't matter. Let's go, get ready! We need to hurry!“, he said laughing and clapped his hands, before he let himself fall onto Jaejoong's bed.

Get a move on!“, he commanded, when Jaejoong continued to stand confused next to his bed.

 

But I don't have a present...“, Jaejoong mumbled. He headed to his wandrobe and grabbed some Jeans and a shirt, before he went up to the bordering bathroom. He left the door ajar, so that he was able to talk to Yunho, while he changed his clothes and got himself ready.
„No problem, I brought something – with this present, you'll be his most favourite guest ever“, Yunho calmed him down and Jaejoong heard the silent rustling of his blankets.

 

Jaejoong put some styling gel into his hair and messed it up a little. „What is it?“

I bought him a new football“, Yunho called out and Jaejoong entered his bedroom again. „The same they used for this year's Asian Championship. Are you ready?“, Yunho added smiling and got onto his feet again. „I've already let the reception know that you're out this afternoon.“
 

Jaejoong put his wallet into his pants' pocket and laughed silently. „You've already managed everything, right?“, he asked smirking and left his room with Yunho. They went up to the parking area in front of the clinic and entered Yunho's car.

Well... What is actually the name of your brother?!“, Jaejoong asked after he had put on the seat belt and laughed again. „And you better tell me WHO your brother is, so that I do not congratulate the wrong kid.“

 

My brother's name is Changmin.“, Yunho answered smiling. „You will identify him right away: He will be the loudest and most active kid in our garden – and probably he is eating anything. He's always eating!“, Yunho joked and winked slightly, before he looked at the street again.

They drove for about twenty minutes and slowly left the hustle and bustle of Seoul's downtown behind.

Jaejoong found himself in a nice suburb with clean front gardens and uniform one-family-houses. „Wow, it's a quite pretty area here, isn't it?“, he asked smiling and looked outside the window, while Yunho parked his car in front of a house which was decorated with umpteen balloons and streamers.


Yunho left the car and flattened his shirt. „Yes, definitely“, he confirmed and waited for Jaejoong to leave the car. Together, they headed to a pretty, iron-made gate that lead into a large colorful garden. „Sometimes I regret that I moved out two years ago – an apartment downtown is nothing compared to this.“, Yunho said and spread his arms, when his eyes met one of the seven boys that ran around in the garden.

„YUNHO!“, the boy – obviously Changmin – exclaimed, before he rushed to his brother and fell into his arms.

Yunho laughed hearty and lifted his brother up. „Happy birthday, champ!“, he said smirking and ruffled Changmin's dark hair, before he put him back on the ground and turned to Jaejoong.
„This is Jaejoong – a friend of mine. I asked him to support me when I have to spend the whole day with you and your friends. – AH!“

Due to the last comment, Changmin punched Yunho's stomach and looked at him angrily, before a huge smile appeared on his face and he looked at Jaejoong. „Hi, I'm Changmin!“, he said joyful and turned around again to join his friends again – Jaejoong wasn't even able to congratulate him.

He couldn't help but laugh. „He's very... energetic, right?“, Jaejoong asked Yunho and laughed again, before he threw another glance at the kids.

 

The two young men made their way through the kids who ran around the garden and played tag. Yunho and Jaejoong stepped into the house and entered a light-flooded, large livingroom. On a huge buffet that was built up in the middle of the room, stood a middle-aged woman and prepared the last plates with food. She lifted her glance when she heard someone stepping in.

 

Jaejoong was amazed by the huge resemblance to Yunho, when the woman started to smile. „Ah, Yunho!“, she said happily and cleaned her hands on a towel, before she went up to the two young men and placed a soft kiss on Yunho's cheeks. „I'm glad you came, Changmin waited the whole day for you to arrive. Who's this?“, she asked friendly and gave Jaejoong another bright smile.

Yunho wasn't even able to answer, since she continued to talk immediately. „I'm Jung Min-Yi, Yunho's and Changmin's mother – I didn't know that my son has such a handsome boyfriend!“

 

Jaejoong looked surprised at the elder woman and opened his mouth, but he didn't know what to answer. He threw a brief glance at Yunho, who quickly interrupted his mother. „Mom, he's not my boyfriend, he's just... A friend. A normal friend, okay?“, he said embarrassed and a slight blush appeared on his cheeks. 'Sorry', Yunho formed with his lips towards Jaejoong and it was difficult for the elder man to hide a grin.

 

Nice to meet you, Mrs. Jung“, Jaejoong answered politely and bowed slightly. „May we help you with something?“

Yunho, where did you find SUCH a perfect young man?!“, Mrs. Jung called out delighted and briefly over Jaejoong's cheek, completely ignoring Jaejoong's question. She turned to her son and winked conspicuously. „I bet he will be your BOYfriend someday!“

Yunho bursted out in a hearty laugh. „Mom, do you even know how embarassing you are?!“, he asked jokingly and winked, before he grabbed Jaejoong's wrist and pulled him towards the hall.

 

I'm sorry, she is – she is my mom“, Yunho began to explain, but he knew that these words already explain enough. Jaejoong laughed and followed Yunho down the hall. „Where are we going?“, he asked curiously and looked over the hundreds of photos, that covered nearly every inch of the walls. They showed both Yunho and Changmin in every single age – on a soccer field, during holidays on the beach, on their first day of school, …

 

I hid Changmin's presents in my old room; we just grab them, hand it out and than we can have something to eat.“, Yunho explained smiling and went upstairs.

They entered a small room which was obviously the room of a teenager – the furniture was spare: Just a small bed, a desk, a wandrobe and a cupboard, and all four walls were covered by large posters of famous basketball and soccer players. „This was your teenage room?“, Jaejoong asked smirking and looked over the whole room.

 

Hey, stop smirking!“, Yunho exclaimed and laughed. He grabbed a huge plastic bag that laid on top of the wandrobe and pulled out two presents. „I've been a huge fan of all those players!“, he defended himself and handed Jaejoong the taller present.

Believe me, he'll love you for this“, Yunho insisted winking and went downstairs again. „Changmin! Want some presents?“, he called out in the garden and a loud scream confirmed Changmin's agreement.

 

Only seconds later, the young boy stood next to Yunho and Jaejoong and ripped off the colorful paper around his presents. „WOW! THE NEW SOCCER CHAMPIONSHIP 2014!“, he exclaimed enthusiastically and showed the brand new computer game to his friends. „This is the best present ever!“, he called out and grabbed Jaejoong's present – changing his mind exactly in the moment, he discovered the content of it.

„HOLY , IS THIS THE SAME FOOTBALL THEY PLAYED WITH DURING THE – “

 

Changmin's delight was interrupted by an angered yell from the kitchen. „DO NOT SWEAR, CHANGMIN!“, Mrs. Jung called out and caused a laugh due from Yunho and Jaejoong.

Yes, it is!“, Yunho confirmed and winked slightly at Jaejoong. „Jaejoong is obviously good in chosing the right presents, mh?“

THIS IS THE BEST PRESENT EVER!“, Changmin called out ran outside the house to try his new soccer ball. „KYUHYUN! KYUHYUN, LOOK WHAT I GOT!“, he screamed delightful.
„What did I tell you?“, Yunho asked casually and laughed again.

 

Honestly: This was the best day since... well, actually since Jaejoong joined Yunho on his dance competition last week.

They mostly sat in the garden or in the kitchen with Mrs. Jung and it was nice to see something else than the dismal, clean clinic. Jaejoong laughed a lot and he felt pleasantly calm and happy during the whole afternoon, while Changmin and his friends played soccer and tag and ate the largest amount of cake that someone could imagine.

 

When the children ate enough cake and left the house again, Mrs. Jung stood up and started to clean the table. „Can we help you, Mrs. Jung?“, Jaejoong asked immediately and got on his feet to collect the dirty dishes.
„You could really learn a lesson from Jaejoong, Yunho!“, Mrs. Jung said with a faked serious voice and laughed silently, when she saw her son's disgusted face. „I'm always extremly helpful and polite!“, Yunho exclaimed and stood up, while he grabbed the plates his mother was carrying and brought them into the kitchen.
Jaejoong laughed and followed the tall man, placing the plates in the sink.


„I really am!“, Yunho insisted and looked at Jaejoong, gaining another laughter.

I believe you are“, Jaejoong said ironically and winked, before he went in the livingroom again.

 

Could you guys go into the basement and grab the pizzas from the freezer, please? I bet those kids are hungry again in less than thirty minutes.“, Mrs. Jung asked smiling and cleaned the table with a wet towel.

Of course, we can“, Yunho said immediately and smiled, before he grabbed Jaejoong's wrist again and pulled him towards a door in the hall.

 

Jaejoong frowned a little and followed him. He disliked basements and there was always an uneasy feeling that built up in his throat, when he had to go downstairs. He didn't know why but actually he had never been concerned about it – many people didn't like going into the basement, right?

 

They entered a small room in the basement and Yunho switched on the light, before he went up to a huge freezer in the left corner of the room. The lamp started to flicker and Jaejoong immediately stopped in his movements. A lump built up in his throat and he looked at the lamp on the basement's ceiling.
„Sorry, the lamp is broke since... I don't know, ever since I live in this house!“, Yunho said laughing and turned his back on Jaejoong, while he opened the freezer and grabbed some boxes with pizza. „I know it didn't take much time to change the – Jaejoong?“

 

Yunho had just turned around and looked at his friend, who stood immovable in the room and stared at the flickering lamp.

Jaejoong?“, Yunho repeated and shut the freezer's door, placing the boxes on top of it.

Hey, are you –“

 

Jaejoong didn't react.
He was completely concentrated on the flickering lamp and a familiar sound that reached his ear.

A silent buzzing was heard, caused by an ordinary housefly that had made its way in the Jung's basement. In a strange rhythm, the insect continued to fly against the small window on the opposite wall, causing silent 'plop''s over and over again.

 

Jaejoong started to breath heavily.

He stared at the ceiling and then at the window.
The buzzing seemed to multiply itself, even if still only one fly was in the room.

It started to fill his head.

It started to fill the whole world.

 

The lamp continued to flicker.

Jaejoong found himself in a dark room with a flickering lamp, the noise of countless flies was heard. Nausea built up in his throat. The sickening smell of decay was all around the room.

His panting breath mixed up with the flies' buzzling.

 

He strumbled.

He fell.

He fainted...

 

JAEJOONG!“

 

- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - ​- - - - - 

 

Even if I actually have to sleep now, I decided to upload this chapter as well! Please ignore all mistakes I made, I will have a look at the chapter tomorrow again ;)