「 disrupting the storm 」

Legends: The Chosen Twelve
“Are you sure about this?” Kai’s father questioned the four remaining warriors who were preparing to leave for the Land of Day. He looked to Suho’s parents beside him who looked back at him and smiled, nodding.
 
“We need to make sure our sons are alive,” the mother spoke for the young men before looking to them to see Chen climbing onto Kris’ back.
 
Kris frowned, grunting as he tried to hoist the younger up first before he just decided to climb him, “Would you wait, Chen?!”
 
Sehun and Xiumin laughed next to them, watching the scene with amused eyes. They were all feeling better, and thankfully, nothing else happened to Kris or Sehun, and they just had to wait for Xiumin to regain his strength.
 
Chen was laughing with them as the parents let out a few chuckles, “But come on! I don’t weigh that much!”
 
Frowning, Kris expanded his wings, causing the younger to fall off at the force with a yelp. He smirked, “That’s why you needed to wait.”
 
The lightning user pouted as he sat up and rubbed the back of his head and then , “Can I get on now?”
 
Kris rolled his eyes before nodding. He got down on one knee facing the Land of Day before Chen scrambled onto his back, trying not to make the elder’s wings uncomfortable. The other grunted a bit, wiggling a bit under Chen’s weight, “Wait, move your elbow.”
 
“Which one?” Chen questioned, looking down at himself. The bases of Kris’ wings were hitting his upper abdomen as he had his hands holding onto both of his shoulders. He giggled feeling Kris move his wings to get used to the feeling of him against them, “I’m moving my arms!”
 
Kris laughed as he just kept extending his wings and retracting them until Chen leaned most of his weight back, his arms draped over his shoulders instead. He supported the smaller male with his arms hooked under his legs. He tilted his head back to eye everybody else curiously, “Are we ready?” Chen was still giggling a bit on his back.
 
Xiumin rolled his eyes as Sehun laughed at them. The eldest smiled fondly, gaze lingering on Chen’s brightly smiling face, “Are you two done having your little moment?”
 
Kai’s father and Suho’s parents laughed at the young men. The former looked to the latter two, “Are you ready?”
 
Suho’s father nodded, both he and his wife extending their arms out in the air, “Whenever Chen is ready.”
 
“Make sure our sons are okay, you four. Got it?” Suho’s mother reassured, earning nods from the young men.
 
Chen turned back and gave a thumbs-up as he and Kris looked to the other two. “We’ll go ahead,” Kris started off before nodding to Sehun, “Sehun will follow, and Xiumin will cover the back.”
 
“Got it, captain,” Sehun saluted before commanding the winds to whip around him as he slowly lifted himself off of the ground, eyes turning fuchsia, because they definitely weren’t pink.
 
A puddle of water appeared next to Xiumin’s feet as he tilted his head back to smile at Suho’s mother. He stepped in it, freezing it, and creating little skates for him to use as his friend’s mother created a water pathway out of thin air for him to skate on. “Ready.”
 
Kris nodded again before flapping his wings a few times, ignoring Chen’s light giggle. He beat them down hard twice before he was in the air, flying higher and higher off of the highest balcony with Sehun right behind him. “Start the rain!” Chen called back, moving to tilt his body back as Kris started to fly parallel to the planet. His eyes turned goldenrod as he watched clouds start to form in the sky before rain began to pour around them. He waited a few minutes before extending his hands out, creating lightning bolts as they passed by. He turned to see a water pathway still trailing after them before Xiumin froze it and skated across it. He had to admit, Suho’s parents were amazingly strong to be able to keep this up.
 
“Let’s just hope Suho’s father and mother can create a storm all the way to the other side of the land,” Kris muttered, seeming to read Chen’s thoughts, as he flicked his head to the side to move his bangs out of his eyes, “Chen?”
 
Chen looked down from where he was staring at the clouds, “What?”
 
Kris furrowed his eyebrows as he tried to get a clear view of where he was going, flicking his head again, before looking back quickly to return his friend’s gaze, “Can you move my hair out of my eyes?”
 
“Ah,” Chen breathed out, running his hand through his own hair before reaching down and gently doing the same thing to Kris. He looked back to see Sehun use his wind to move his hair out of the way as Xiumin’s speed just kept his hair swept to the side. He sighed, leaning back up and commanding more lightning to fill the sky. “We’ll make it safely,” he muttered more to himself as reassurance. Kris subtly nodded, needing that reassurance too.
 
xxx
 
Kai worriedly watched as Lay continued to stitch up D.O’s shoulder. He looked down to see Suho healing up the minor scratches still littering the other’s body with the warm water Chanyeol got for him, frowning when Suho continued healing the same injury for more than thirty minutes. He looked back to D.O’s scrunched up face before gently running his fingers through his now clean hair, “Are you okay?”
 
D.O. opened his eyes, taking a few minutes for his vision to actually focus on Kai, before nodding slightly. He let out a soft sigh, “It just hurts.”
 
Nodding slightly, Kai bit his lip, shifting on the bed a bit so his legs could breathe from their cramped up position. He squeezed D.O’s hand again before rubbing his thumb over the back of it soothingly, “Anything I can do?”
 
A small smile graced D.O’s lips before looking around the room. He noticed Baekhyun and Chanyeol sitting next to them on the floor talking while Luhan was still leaning against the closed entrance doors, head bopping up and down as he slowly drifted off to sleep. “Just stay here,” he softly said before looking back up to Kai.
 
The other smiled at him and nodded, making himself more comfortable before curiously leaning over D.O’s body to see the shoulder wound slowly stitching itself back up, the muscles coming together and each strand tying around each other before tightening up and creating a solid wall. He looked up at Lay to see his brows furrowed in concentration and his dimple slightly reappearing, “Are you doing okay, Lay?”
 
The creases in Lay’s face instantly eased as he tuned in to the other’s question. He tilted his head a bit as he nodded, smiling, “I’m doing fine, Kai.” He breathed out a soft sigh when he felt the moisture from his face suddenly lift itself off before being thrown into the bowl on the table next to them, “Thank you, Suho.”
 
“You’re welcome,” Suho mumbled back, still focusing on healing the few remaining scratches left, “Why?” It was understood whom the question was directed towards.
 
Lay looked up from the injured shoulder to eye D.O, whispering, “Is he asleep?
 
Kai and Suho looked at them confused before D.O. tried leaning up to see past the foot of the bed. The former quickly pushed D.O. back down gently before leaning down to whisper in his ear, “Who?
 
D.O. blushed at the sudden contact and deep timbre of the voice before tilting his head to the side to speak back into the other’s ear, “Luhan.
 
Frowning in confusion, Kai sat back up and turned to see Luhan fast asleep, head bent low as the crystal ball he was holding rolled off of his lap and onto the ground. He turned back to them, “Asleep.”
 
“Chanyeol,” Lay softly called, causing the other two next to them to stop talking, “True?”
 
Chanyeol looked at him confused before turning back to see Luhan asleep. He bent down on the ground and tried to see the other’s eyes from his spot before sitting back up, “Yeah.”
 
Lay nodded as he looked up into D.O’s eyes and softly spoke, “Is she really that desperate to get more information on him?”
 
D.O. nodded, looking into Lay’s pupiless eyes before shifting them to Kai’s worried stare, “She wanted to know everything about you. She wanted me to bring you to her to ‘meet’ her- Ow.” Lay gave him a half-smile before returning to healing up the torn skin. “I couldn’t fight in that room. There’s no earth underneath and the chains were mixed with another material disallowing me to break from it.”
 
Kai frowned as he unconsciously started rubbing D.O’s wrist gently, “You should’ve just brought me to meet her.”
 
“Then you’d be on the run,” Lay muttered as he finished healing the other’s shoulder. He let out a breath of relief, at least he didn’t break the bone, before turning back to see Suho’s progress. He was pleasantly surprised to see most of the scratches were healed, “Suho?”
 
Suho stopped his healing, moving the water back into the bowl, before looking up and removing the sweat from his face. He gave them a tired smile before mumbling, “Can you heal the rest? I’m tired…” and promptly falling on top of D.O’s legs fast asleep.
 
“Oof.”
 
“Suho?!” Baekhyun called out surprised, eyes wide as he scrambled on top of the bed to move the other off of his friend’s lower limbs.
 
Chanyeol fumbled in getting up to help Baekhyun as the latter’s shout caused Luhan to wake up. The latter instantly stood up in a fighting stance, looking around frantically and calling out, “What’s happening? What did he do?!”
 
Kai and D.O. watched with wide eyes as everybody started panicking about something except them and Lay who sighed, “Calm down, everybody. Luhan, you can go back to sleep. Suho just passed out from healing too much when he’s not supposed to be able to heal in the first place.”
 
Luhan looked at them confused before nodding and slowly sitting back down, letting out a tired sigh, “How long must I keep our queen locked up?” He picked up his crystal ball only to yelp and throw it away immediately. He looked up to see the three non-panicking men’s curious eyes before scowling, “The queen found my marble and appears angry at being locked up.”
 
Lay rolled his eyes before transferring a bit of his energy into Suho, “I’ll take care of her.”
 
A full minute of silence rang out between all of them as Baekhyun worriedly watched over Suho before Kai blurted out, still immensely confused, “What just happened?”
 
And suddenly, they heard loud laughter resonate throughout the whole room, resulting in Baekhyun snapping his head up and glaring at the bathroom doors. Kai furrowed his eyebrows as he followed the other’s gaze, “Why is the bathroom laughing?”
 
Luhan looked at them confused before opening another small crystal ball in there, only to see Tao cutely waving up at him. His mouth fell open in disbelief, “He’s in here?! Since when?!”
 
Chanyeol barked out in laughter, big smile on his face as he looked to Baekhyun who smacked him on the shoulder, “It’s his room.”
 
“Whom are we talking about?” Kai asked, looking down to D.O. who had an amused smile on his face. He looked over to Lay who sighed again, done transferring some of his energy into Suho before looking back up at him, “Somebody else is in here?”
 
“The decision rests with Baekhyun,” D.O. softly said, tugging Kai’s hand to get his attention back to him, “Just as you and Suho want to protect each other, we have someone we want to protect.” He looked to Lay who was about to heal the remaining cuts on his body, “You don’t need to heal me anymore. Thank you for all you have done for me. I just want new clothes.”
 
Kai felt something shift in the air again before his eyes widened at suddenly seeing a set of clothes sitting neatly on top of D.O’s stomach. His mouth fell open in shock, “Wha-? How did that get there?” He looked at everybody else as Chanyeol laughed some more, “Do your clothes walk or something?”
 
Luhan laughed at the other’s bizarre questions, “No. Inanimate objects still cannot walk freely on their own.”
 
Kai frowned at him as D.O. slipped his hand out of his to get up from the bed, “Well, this is simply weird then.”
 
The soldiers from the Land of Day looked to each other as Lay’s eyes returned back to normal. Kai got off of the bed so Lay could pull the blood-stained covers back and put Suho back on the bed more comfortably. Baekhyun sighed as D.O. slowly moved his way to the bathroom, barely opening it before slipping in. He looked to Chanyeol who was just smiling happily now, “Should we?”
 
Chanyeol looked to his friend before shrugging, “If they’re going to stay here for a long time, might as well.”
 
Luhan frowned as he got up, ignoring the queen’s angry antics, and made his way over to them, “I don’t think it’s a good idea.”
 
Would you get out?!” came D.O’s annoyed voice as the shower .
 
But we save on water if we shower together!” came another man’s voice as Kai’s eyes widened in shock.
 
“Who’s in there?!”
 
Baekhyun sighed again as Lay just shook his head in sympathy before lying down next to Suho, sighing, “Our other friend.”
 
“He likes to take showers with others if he can,” Chanyeol helpfully added before they heard a thud followed by an “Ow! D.O!
 
Kai frowned as he made his way over to the bathroom, only to hit a barrier right outside of it. He scowled, turning to glare at Luhan who shrugged back at him, “Remove it.”
 
Turn around!
 
“You cannot order me around,” Luhan stated as he crossed his arms in front of his chest, “I don’t want you meeting him yet.”
 
“They need to meet one way or another, Luhan,” Lay softly said, growing immensely tired as he kept his distance from Suho on the bed.
 
“It’s too soon.”
 
Baekhyun!” D.O. called out, earning a groan from the said man.
 
Baekhyun looked over to Luhan pleadingly, “Just let them meet.”
 
Luhan looked at the other surprised, “Really?” Baekhyun’s protection instantly increased when it came to Tao, so naturally, he was in charge of who he met and his whereabouts. It was shocking to hear the other simply accept the meeting of these two users without much more incentive. He watched as the light user gave a tired nod before frowning and slowly taking down his barrier. He looked over to see what the teleportation user would do.
 
Kai reached out a hand and tentatively sought out the invisible barrier only to feel there was none. He smiled before walking forward a few more steps and knocked on the door. “D.O,” he called out, tapping on the door again, “Are you okay in there? Who else is in there with you?”
 
There was a moment of silence before the door immediately opened, scaring the living spirits out of Kai. A man with sandy blonde hair and a cat-like grin with an eye-smile was staring back at him with expectation clearly written all over his face. Kai was taken aback and slowly backed away from the other man.
 
“You must be the teleportation user,” the other man said happily, stepping forward and closing the door behind him. He bowed a bit before giving a cute wave, “My name is Tao.”
 
Kai looked at him weirdly before nodding, “Um. I’m Kai.”
 
“Pleasure to meet you,” Tao smiled back before looking to everyone else and pouting, “I’ve been bored for however long you’ve been in my room just because you didn’t want me to meet him.”
 
Baekhyun groaned as he knelt and flopped his upper body on top over the edge of the bed, randomly groping Lay’s thighs and knees and shins in the process, feeling like he needed to express his desperation somehow. “It was for your own protection,” he exclaimed out exasperated.
 
Kai turned around and furrowed his brows at him, “What?”
 
“But look at how genuine he is,” Tao stated back before he suddenly froze, irises turning slate grey.
 
Baekhyun noticed the posture and eye color before he quickly stood up and made his way over to the other. Kai looked at him confused before turning around to see the same thing. His eyes widened just as Chanyeol made his way over to them too. Lay and Luhan straightened up as they waited for the episode to pass. “What’s going on?” Kai quietly questioned, watching Tao’s entire features until he relaxed after a full minute, “What just happened?”
 
Tao sighed, slowly closing his eyes and running his fingers through his hair. When he opened them again, they were back to normal, “Something is about to happen.” He looked to Luhan, “It is not harmful nor bad.”
 
Luhan furrowed his brows before he heard knocking on the door behind him. He looked confused before turning around and opening it up slightly only to see an elderly man looking at him panicked. His eyes widened before questioning, “What is it, sir?”
 
“Head guard,” the man started out before trying to peek into the room, “The queen said you might be in here.” Lay visibly stiffened at those words. “There appears to be a large storm on its way here.”
 
Luhan digested the information, eyeing the man, before nodding, “I will check it out.” He nodded once to the elder again before closing the door in front of him. He turned back around to see Tao looking straight at him, “Is this what you foresaw?”
 
Tao nodded, a small, teasing smile on his lips before turning to face his large window, “It might be best if Suho woke up soon as well as bring Kai outside to greet the storm.”
 
“Huh?” Kai questioned, completely confused with what was going on right now.
 
Lay sighed as he lied back down, looking over Suho’s figure to see Tao, “Does it have to be now?”
 
“I can see the storm from here,” Chanyeol muttered, standing close to the window to see the sky darkening ever so slowly and heading towards them, “Is this another type of invasion?”
 
“Suho’s the only water user we know though,” Baekhyun mumbled out. He shifted his gaze to Luhan who stretched before opening the door again, “Where are you going?”
 
Luhan tilted his head back at them and smirked, “Disrupting the storm. Where else?”
 
Lay frowned as Luhan closed the door behind him. “I can’t go out there unless Luhan is willing to give me protection from the rain,” Chanyeol mumbled out, crossing his arms in front of his chest as he watched the storm approach faster. He turned to Lay, “What are the rest of us going to do?”
 
The healer looked to Tao who just gave him a happy smile. He sighed again, thinking about his job before shaking his head, “No, Tao. Our land is more important than these warriors greeting the storm.” He turned to Kai, “Kai may leave to go greet the storm, but I am not healing Suho. He needs proper rest.”
 
Kai looked at him shocked before looking to everybody else. Tao pouted, “Why?”
 
“They will meet whoever is invading our land this time in due time,” Lay finalized before turning to Chanyeol, “If the rain is light enough, you can still use your flames. Luhan will probably give you protection,” he looked to Baekhyun and D.O, “Go with them and back him up. I have changed my mind. Kai will stay here.”
 
D.O. looked to Kai, unsure of the whole situation. “But, we won’t kill those intruders on sight, right?” he questioned slowly before turning to Lay who immediately shook his head.
 
“No. I’ve already discussed this with Luhan in the past. Any intruder shall be brought downstairs for interrogation.”
 
“He already flung Kai and his friend out once without orders,” Baekhyun deadpanned.
 
Lay sighed, closing his eyes as he tried to relax, “Well, remind him to bring them downstairs relatively unharmed.” He slowly started to drift off, “Remind him that I can end him if I so choose.”
 
Kai’s eyes widened, quickly turning to Baekhyun, “What?”
 
Baekhyun sighed, shaking his head as Lay let out a soft snore at finally being able to rest. He looked to Chanyeol, “Come on.” He tilted his head back to Tao, speaking in reference about Kai, “Defend yourself if you see any type of threats directed towards you or Lay.”
 
Chanyeol frowned, nodding to Tao before following after Baekhyun, “You know I hate wet things.”
 
“Except showers. Get over it.”
 
They exited the room as D.O. looked to Kai and Tao, who just shrugged at the warning, “Are you sure you’re going to be okay here?”
 
The two looked to each other before Kai gave a hesitant nod and Tao gave an eager one. “We’ll be fine,” the latter said before turning to the former, “Do you see something different about that storm?”
 
Kai and D.O. frowned before the former moved to stand where Chanyeol previously stood. He squinted his eyes to have a better look when all he saw was nothing out of the ordinary. He shook his head, “No.”
 
Tao pouted at the answer before nodding anyways. He turned to the earth user, “Go. They’re going to need your reinforcements.”
 
The other nodded slowly before firmly stating, “I’ll be back.” He turned to Kai, “If anything happens, teleport to me immediately.” He eyed him, “There must have been a way for you to teleport directly into our walls and appear next to Suho. Use that same technique with me.”
 
Kai gave a slight nod before closing his eyes and quickly expending energy to see what the other’s aura was. He tilted his head. It was the same terracotta color as his eyes when he used his power. He smiled slightly, opening his eyes again, “I will, D.O.”
 
Tao smiled happily between all of them before making shooing gestures with his hands in the other’s direction, “Now, shoo! Before Luhan comes in and spies on us to find out where you are!”
 
The other rolled his eyes before smiling and quickly exiting the room, “Remember, Kai!”
 
Kai shivered before a smile took over his face. He looked to Tao instinctively before turning the other way to figure out what was actually going on. “Continue to watch the clouds, Kai,” Tao gently ordered, walking over to stand next to him.
 
The other frowned, doing as he was told, before crossing his arms in front of his chest, “What’s going on with us?” He saw Baekhyun and Chanyeol already on their way to where he assumed Luhan was located.
 
Tao simply smiled, “Be more specific.”
 
Kai quickly looked to him before blushing and looking away, “Nevermind.”
 
A few silent minutes passed by before his eyes instantly shifted down when he saw D.O. exiting the castle and rushing after his other two friends. He smiled slightly at the sight, causing Tao to silently chuckle. He looked over to where Lay shifted and his side to unknowingly face Suho. He playfully rolled his eyes.
 
“Maybe it will be explained in the near future.”
 
“Huh?” Kai mumbled, snapping out of his thoughts, “What?”
 
“Nothing,” Tao simply said, turning back to smile at him, “You and D.O. seem to have some type of connection already.”
 
The other looked at him, blushing a bit before mumbling, “So do you and Baekhyun,” he paused, “For him to be overprotective over you like that.”
 
Tao instantly scowled, déjà vu hitting him hard before turning back to look out the window, “Yeah. You and D.O. have some type of weird connection already. No denying it.” Kai opened his mouth to speak when Tao just raised his hand to silence him, “No. Now, watch the storm.”
 
Kai just pouted and nodded, turning back to try and find out what was so special about this storm.
 
xxx
 
“Sehun!” Chen called back, tilting his head back to see Sehun lightly panting behind them, “Can you move the clouds?! I don’t think Suho’s parents can carry the storm any further!”
 
Sehun’s lips formed a thin line before he nodded, moving one arm more than the other to spread the clouds. Chen looked behind him to see Xiumin tiring out as well. He frowned, turning back to Kris, “Kris, they’re tiring out.”
 
“If they can hold on a bit longer as well as Suho’s parents, we’ll make it inside the gates,” Kris exclaimed, eyeing the tall structure about a hundred and twenty miles ahead of them, “We’re almost there.” He let out a deep sigh, resorting to rubbing his thumb in soothing circles on the sides of Chen’s thighs to help relieve his stress, “You’re going to have to be the one protecting us.”
 
Chen bit his lip, reaching forward with one hand and trying to lightly massage the area right between his wings, “I know.” He focused his thoughts into the soothing gesture on his thighs before looking up straight into the sky, flickers of light passing through his own irises.
 
“Chen,” Kris called out again, tilting his head a bit to see his friend’s current position before looking back ahead of them, the gates coming closer and closer, “Send in a signal for our friends.”
 
Chen gulped, raising both of his hands in the air and facing it towards the sky, “Let’s hope they recognize it.”
 

a/n: so. i had this and ch. 10 written weeks ago. but i decided i didn't like how it started to pan out, so i rewrote the ending of this and ch. 10, and i'm about to start on ch. 11 because ;u; i apologize. work has been going crazy, and now i'm starting to get sick, and i have so many other stories to catch up on :( don't worry! this will be updated again (at the most) within 2 weeks!
-catalyst