「 let the games begin 」

Legends: The Chosen Twelve
Kai sighed as he stared up at the night sky, admiring the twinkling stars and the two bright moons that accompanied it, one seemingly a finger’s length away from the other as it appeared as they were staring down at him. He lightly smiled, noticing how one of the moons seemed to be winking as it was in the form of a crescent while the other moon seemed to be much fuller than it’s counterpart. Leaning back on the darker grass, he goes ahead and counts the stars once again – maybe it’s the last time he’ll see these stars like this. He easily shook the thoughts from his head, knowing that there will always be a next time to see these stars he fell in love with so much, something so simple and beautiful. It’s been that way for years as long as he could remember anyways.
 
Hearing some rustling far off in the distance, he paid no mind to it as he kept his eyes toward the infinite and forgiving sky. He was born into the Land of the Night, promptly so because their nights always lasted longer than the Land of the Day, miles away across a neutral border where all there were was deserted, barren land. He didn’t mind it though – he loved the nighttime. What bothered him was the fact that they were labeled as the ‘horrible’ and ‘evil’ creatures of their region when he knew for a fact that he and the top warriors of their land were anything but horrible and evil.
 
“Kai?” a voice called out, climbing up the steep hill he knew the other liked to lie on just to relax and be by himself, “You there?”
 
Kai hummed, tilting his head to the side to see a gust of wind and Sehun appearing near the edge of the big hill, “I am.”
 
Sehun was one of the younger users to be born, with him being able to control anything having to do with the wind. He acted exactly like he looked, but Kai wouldn’t have it any other way, although he did get annoyed of the other’s bratty and whiny attitude sometimes. “Kai,” Sehun muttered out again, walking over to plop down on the grass next to him, “We have a meeting soon.”
 
“Dad already filled me in,” Kai simply said, turning from staring at his friend’s face to look back up to the sky, “Have you ever thought about how our powers matched our land? Or why we’re blamed as the defects of this region?”
 
Sighing, Sehun his side using his arm as a pillow, back facing his friend, “So, we’re going to go in there, huh?” He lightly blew the grass next to him, watching as some came apart from the ground to fly into the natural night breeze against them, “Our powers match our land because we were born here. Suho’s power of water is stronger with the tides that come at night. Xiumin’s power of ice is stronger with the colder temperatures that the night brings us. Chen always loved using his power of lightning to light up the dark sky when it’s gotten too dark for him to handle,” he paused in his little speech before he and Kai started to chuckle, “Okay, maybe Chen is an exception.”
 
“And my power of teleportation is supposedly rare,” Kai murmured off, still chuckling as he tilted his head to face the back of Sehun’s sandy-colored hair, “Yours and Kris’ powers of wind and flight could also be used in the Land of the Day.”
 
“But I love the natural night breezes,” Sehun whined out, turning around to lie on his side facing his friend this time, “And Kris hates sweating.”
 
Kai lazily smirked, moving in closer to hug him, “Why are you two so whiny?” he instantly teleported a few feet away just as Sehun let out a huge gust of wind around him to get the other off of him.
 
“Why do you get so clingy?” Sehun grumbled out, moving to sit up and face his laughing friend.
 
Kai continued to laugh, already standing as he stared down at his best friend, “Come on, Sehun. Let’s go to that useless meeting.”
 
Sehun scowled as he took the offered hand to him before he was suddenly teleported into a huge banquet hall where their four other friends were already waiting, “I swear, if you weren’t the general’s son, you’d so be exiled.”
 
Kai lazily smiled, shrugging his shoulders as he sat down next to Kris at the table, “I take what I can get.”
 
Kris scoffed, draping an arm around the other, “Except that one guy who wanted to get into your pants, but you teleported right out of there when he cornered you.”
 
The other shivered, thinking about that scary moment in time, “He wasn’t even good looking… and you know it.”
 
“Okay, you six,” the general voiced out, walking into the room and glaring at his son who was now sheepishly smiling at him, “Enough with the… Nevermind.”
 
Kai saluted in his seat, smile bright as he exclaimed out, “Yes, sir!”
 
“I don’t know how you have a son like him,” Kris deadpanned. Being one of the more experienced warriors allowed him to be as casual as he wanted with the general, much to Kai’s displeasure.
 
“Neither do I,” the general laughed off, waving his hand to dismiss the matter. He looked at the other three who have yet to speak and raised a brow, “Are you three okay?”
 
Kai didn’t want to admit it out loud, but his father was actually like a dad to the rest of his friends. He wasn’t a fan of sharing, but he liked the happy looks on his friends’ faces whenever they got to hang out and be with his dad. He turned to see Chen giving his usual playful smile, “I’m sure they’re fine, dad.”
 
“Oh, shush,” the elder said, turning to give his son a stern look, causing the other five warriors to laugh at the relationship between them.
 
“We’re fine, sir,” Xiumin happily said, moving to sit down on another chair at the table.
 
Suho smiled, nodding in appreciation, “We are.” He was considered one of the more odd ones to be born in their land, having the look of being and acting gentle unlike the rest of them who had the potential to look more intimidating than usual. He raised a brow to the general, “So, what is this mission? Are we really doing it this time?”
 
Kai sighed at the reminder. This would be the third time they tried this specific mission. Normally, it wouldn’t take them so many times to complete a mission, usually once is enough. There has never been a time where they’ve failed until now.
 
The general nodded, looking at all of them again before focusing his stare on Suho, “This time it’s you.”
 
Everybody’s eyes widened as the rest swiveled their heads to look at Suho who’s own eyes were wide as well before it softened and he nodded. “Because of my looks?” he had to question even though they already knew the answer.
 
“Because of your looks,” the general confirmed before continuing on, “We tried force with Kris and Xiumin first, and it didn’t work out well,” Kris mentally winced at the burn scar still located on his back, “We tried sneaking in at night with Kai and Sehun.”
 
“Which failed because their telekinesis user just threw us out right after we teleported right into the grounds,” Sehun grumbled, recalling very clearly blonde hair styled to show the enemy’s forehead and an annoying twinkle in the man’s eyes before being simply tossed out.
 
“Exactly,” the general said, nodding his head in affirmation, “So, we’re just going to walk right through the gates in broad daylight.” He looked to Chen then, “And I have a perfect way for them to easily accept Suho.”
 
“I have a bad feeling about this,” Xiumin mumbled, Chen looking completely confused as to why everyone was staring at him now.
 
After a few seconds, Chen simply frowned, crossing his arms over his chest protectively, “I’m not a fan of not knowing what’s going on… and I didn’t even do anything this time!”
 
“Uh huh,” the other five guys droned out, knowing he placed a prank somewhere in their castle, just waiting for some poor sap to walk right into it.
 
“Anyways,” the general said, continuing on, “Chen is going to help us. Before he gets caught, Kai will teleport in, get him, and get out while Suho is being rescued.” He smirked, reminding the other five men besides Kai that they were actually related, “Suho will be our secret weapon until we can get in and find out what happened to our region – why we were the ones sent away when they are the ones who are always falsely showered in light.”
 
“This will happen tomorrow morning,” Kai added on, looking beside him to where Kris was sitting, “Morning for them anyways.”
 
Kris nodded before looking to Suho, “Do you think you can handle it?”
 
Suho looked at each one of his best friends before sighing, “I can always hide in the water, right?”
 
“If you feel the need to protect yourself,” the general reassured, waiting for the signal that the plan was okay.
 
The other bit his lip, looking to Chen next to him, instantly knowing what the plan consisted of, “Just don’t kill me, okay? I can’t handle much electricity.”
 
xxx
 
D.O. hummed, lightly making a tune that his friend Lay could sing to while they walked around their bright land. Land of the Day, he mused, as he looked up to see the bright morning sky before looking over to see the sky gradient slowly darken the closer it got to the Land of the Night. He knew they were supposedly ‘purer’ beings compared to those from the darker realm, but sometimes he questioned that position any time he looked at Lay and Luhan before they set up a prank on some of the villagers.
 
He always wondered about the nighttime though. Night only lasted for a couple of hours before it was breaking dawn again where they lived. He frowned, simply thinking of it before looking over to his friend who was walking beside him, “Lay, we’re different, aren’t we?”
 
“Hmm?” Lay hummed out, stopping his light singing to look over at the other, “Of course, we are.”
 
That much was true. D.O. knew his powers were stronger than other earth users, even strong enough to control metal. Lay was a simple healer, but he had a secret skill or two up his sleeve that accompanied it. He thought about their other friends who were probably hanging out in the castle or somewhere else in the land. Chanyeol was a fire user who’s been nicknamed as ‘The Phoenix’ for his ability to heal himself with his own flames if he got injured, also being able to touch fire without being burned at all. Luhan was their strong telekinesis user, also acting as one of their top guards into securing the land. Baekhyun was a unique light manipulator, which made perfect sense for their land, while Tao was a completely rare exception, being able to control time whenever he wanted.
 
Tao was the youngest of their generation, the one not many knew was an actual user of any element or power. He was always their secret weapon when it came to battles because he was also able to see small pieces of the future, although he has no control whenever they appeared. If anybody asked him or any of them, they would all automatically answer that he has only mastered the skills of fighting hand-to-hand combat.
 
“D.O! Lay!” a villager suddenly called out to them, causing both of them to stop and turn to see someone running towards them, “Luhan’s on break and there’s somebody running towards our gates!”
 
D.O. and Lay furrowed their eyebrows as they looked to each other before running after the villager back to the high, tall matte golden gates. The former took a stance behind the gate as Lay ordered the guards to open it enough for his friend to see through it. “Ready, D.O?” he called out as he stood by to give the signal. He watched as D.O. nodded before he shouted back up to the guards, “Now!”
 
The earth user maneuvered one foot in front of him as his hands took a stance in front of him, eyes hard as he saw a man running towards them as lightning randomly struck behind him. “Help me!” the man yelled out, watching as the gates opened a bit and saw D.O. standing there by himself, “I’m a water user!”
 
D.O.’s eyes widened at that information before seeing the man get struck by lightning. He snapped his head to Lay who looked just as confused since a water user should be near the Land of Night if not from another foreign land since so few have been actually born in their own land. “Sir!” the same villager called out as the foreign man fell to the ground outside their gates, “What do we do?!”
 
Lay furrowed his eyebrows in confusion before looking back to his friend, “Protect him!”
 
D.O. instantly nodded before he raised his foot and stomped it down on the ground hard, hands open as he forced the slabs of rock to form a barrier on top of the fallen man before another strike of lightning hit him again, positively killing him.
 
When he’s sure the other’s saved from another lightning bolt, he looked to his friend and the villagers, “Somebody get him and bring him in here! I’ll cover you!”
 
Three male villagers nodded before they quickly ran out, having D.O. follow them to the entrance of the gate and kicking up slabs of the earth, making it fly over them when he’s sure another lightning strike will occur. It took a few minutes before they’re into the safety of their own gates and the lightning slowly came to a stop outside the gates.
 
Lay quickly ran over to where the man was his back and breathing hard, hovering his hands above the other’s chest and a white glow emanating from his hands. D.O. watched as his friend immediately started healing the other, watching as the man’s face slowly returned to a normal color and his breathing regulated itself.
 
“Who are you?” D.O. sternly questioned as the man slowly opened his eyes, villagers around them now gone because they knew their best soldiers could take care of the foreigner.
 
The man looked up into his eyes before looking up into Lay’s concentrated stare as he continued to heal him to his maximum. He turned back to D.O. before softly saying, “My name is Suho.” He sighed as he slowly sat up without their help, “I come from a village not well known when I walked too close to the Land of the Night.”
 
That was all the explanation they needed before they gave him a hand in standing up and holding him captive by making makeshift cuffs with the earth, courtesy of D.O, escorting him to the castle where he was to meet with their queen, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Luhan.
 
xxx
 
“That plan worked better than the previous one,” Kai commented as Chen put down his hands from facing the dark sky.
 
“Thanks to Kris for that one,” Xiumin mentioned, he turned to Kris who slowly descended to the ground before his wings disappeared, “So, Suho got in?”
 
Kris sighed, looking to his side where Sehun was slowly coming towards the ground with the help of his winds, “It’s a good thing Sehun was able to manipulate the clouds,” he nodded to them, “He’s in.” He turned to glare at Chen, “Without dying in the process. Did you have to literally strike him with lightning?”
 
Chen smiled sheepishly at him, scratching the back of his head, “I miscalculated?” His sheepish smile turned into a relieved grin when Kris just shook his head to dismiss the matter, glad that Suho was still alive anyways.
 
They were all standing on the highest level of the castle facing the Land of the Day, watching the brighter region with interest. Kai smirked as he ruffled his hair in thought, “Now, let the games begin.”
 

a/n: i've decided to re-do the whole story! i hope this chapter was interesting enough for all of you... since it's an intro chapter to the story :) comments, subs, upvotes? too early? just sub then~ :3