Chapter 9

Chasing Happiness

 

Ya Tou and Gui are laying on the bed, both of them looking at the ceiling, watching the night lamps reflections.

"Jie..." Ya Tou says lightly as she sighs, "can I ask you something?"

Gui looks at her, "what is it?"

She pauses, "I remember about three years ago, before my mom married step-daddy... Aaron... was always gloomy. He told me it's because everyone important has left him... first his mom, and then his step-mom, and then his mei mei..." she lets the silent room sink in as Gui turns back to look at the ceiling. "jie... why did you leave?"

The silence sinks in even more as she sighs, "you won't be able to understand--"

"Is it a secret?"

Gui thought for a second about whether she should tell Ya Tou... but... she knew she couldn't. "It is a secret... a secret that holds my happiness... and also my pain..." she breathes, "a secret that the wind doesn't know... only the heart..."

"Only the heart?" Ya Tou questions looking at her, "was it love?"

Gui turns to look at her and forces a smile, she nods.

Ya Tou rolls on over to her belly and looks at her, "who is he? Your first love?"

"You're guessing everything right already," she says jokingly. "Even though he's my first love... he can't be my last."

The smile on Ya Tou's face disappears, "why not?"

Gui looks back up at the night lamp's reflections on the ceiling and sighs, "for me and him... there won't be a happy ending."

Ya Tou sighs, "but jie... how do you know it won't be a happy ending? You didn't even wait for it, you just decided to end it."

Gui quickly looks back at her, even though Ya Tou was young, she was wise for her age.

She smiles, "when I was little, my dad would always read me my favorite bedtime stories, they give me hope. So it made me decide, one day I will meet my prince, even if he doesn't ride on a white horse he's still my prince, but when I meet him, I will do all I could to keep him beside me and never leave him, because if one day he leaves me, I won't have a prince no more. Imagine in all the fairytales if no one got the prince. Cinderella would still be cleaning up the house and kneeling down to her evil family, Snow White would be in the eternal sleep, Rapunsel would still be stuck in the highest tower... do you think they'd let their prince leave them too? Wouldn't you want your prince to remain beside you forever?"

Gui, knew Ya Tou was right... but at the same time she knew Aaron wasn't her prince. She sighs, "he's not my prince..." Gui says straight out, "it's impossible for him to be my prince."

Ya Tou pouts, "do you think Princes' are supposed to be handsome, rich, smart, all of the above? Jie, even your prince could be the guy right next to you, you'd never know."

Gui slowly looks back up at the ceiling, thinking about what Ya Tou had told her... Ya Tou is right... but if her Prince was Aaron... she didn't want to be the Princess... it just wouldn't be right.

*****************************************************************

Gui presses the send button as she sent a text.

Ya Tou rushes pass her, "I'm late!"

Gui laughs at Ya Tou as she struggles to put on her shoes, "becareful, they say it's going to rain today. So bring an umbrella ok?"

Ya Tou nods, "I'll be back later!" She grabs an umbrella and rushes out of the house.

Gui sighs as she sits on the sofa... alone once more. She hears footsteps coming down the stairs and looks up, it was Aaron who was dressed pretty nice. She quickly turns away so as to not get caught looking at him.

He walks up to her, standing behind the couch and leans in over her, scaring her as she covers .

"What do you want?!"

He sighs, "get ready." He says holding onto her arm and pulling her off the sofa.

"Ey!" She pulls away, "where are you taking me?"

Aaron crosses his arm, "you forgot what today is?"

Gui looks at him confused.

He sighs, "today's your mom's memorial."

The look in Gui's eyes changes... "my... mom's... m-memorial?"

================================================