Chasing Happiness

Chasing Happiness

Ah Ben rushes into the hallway to see Hebe in distressed, her phone in pieces.

Ya Tou comes right after, "what was that? Did the lightning struck the house?!" She then sees Hebe and remains silent.

*******************************************************************

Aaron comes back into the room with the food, as he closes the door, sets the food on the table, he spots Gui already sleeping on the floor. He looks at her and then sees a note on the bed. He reads it:

:You paid for the room so you deserve the bed, night."

He just laughs to himself and looks back at her. "Is it that hard to just sleep on the bed?" He asks her unconcious state with a smile, he then carries her and sets her on the bed. Just watching her, made him smile instantly. He moves the hairstrands covering her face and tucks them behind her ears, he touches her face and just smiles. He then sees her lips...

*Flashback...

Aaron covers .

Gui looks at him slowly and moves his hand, "no one's home..."

He continues to smile as he stares at her, "just stay beside me..." he says, "until I fall asleep again..."

Silently, Gui continues to lay there beside him, both of them staring at each other. Slowly he reaches out for her face and moves her closer to his, they started kissing each other to the point where it almost went ALL THE WAY.*

He quickly backs off and moves away from her, even though he loved her, there was a limit, a very thin line that he knew he shouldn't cross not again. He sits at the table and slowly dines by himself, using it as a distraction so as not to be distracted by her.

********************************************************************

Ah Ben and Ya Tou sees Hebe off as she drives off in her car, then they went back into the house.

"What do you think Hebe was thinking of?" Ya Tou asks Ah Ben, "she seemed very angry."

He just nods and sits back down on the couch as Ya Tou sits down next to him.

"Was Hebe on the phone with Ge? Did they get into an argument?" Ya Tou begins to wonder, "but I've never seen them fight before... and Ge doesn't have a very bad temper..."

Ah Ben just sighs once more, "it's getting late. Shouldn't you prepare for bed?"

Ya Tou just sighs, gets up and goes upstairs for bed.

Ah Ben sits there, wondering about earlier. Even though he didn't want to face it, he too realized something was fishy about Gui and Aaron.

Their dad then comes through the door, lightly drenched from the rain.

Ah Ben quickly rushes to him, "dad, you're home already? Weren't you going to work over night?"

He sighs, "the rain is too heavy, they called us off."

Their mom comes through from the kitchen, "you're home already? If I would've known you could've picked up Aaron and Gui. They were visiting their mom's memorial, due to the rain they had to stay in a hotel over there for the night."

"It's ok," he says, "the rain's too heavy to drive in. They'll come home tomorrow morning then."

Their mother agreed, "I'll prepare you your dinner," she then goes back after taking his brief case.

Ah Ben looks at his dad as they sit on the couch and watch the news together. He felt weird in asking, but he knew he should ask anyway. "Dad, can I ask you something?"

He looks at him and nods, "sure, what is it?"

Ah Ben pauses to think of how to say it, just incase it came out wrongly, "a-are, Gui and Aaron close?"

Without hesitation he answers, "of course. They're really close and have similar hobbies, Gui's mom and I were afraid they wouldn't get along well because of their genders, but they hit it off pretty good." He then switches the channels.

Ah Ben continues to look at his dad nervously, "so... y-you weren't nervous about how close they got?"

He pauses before he could look at Ah Ben, "why are you asking this kind of question?"

Ah Ben shook his head, "it's nothing. Just... I was curious."

His father sighs, "no matter how close they are, they can only be brothers and sisters, I have nothing to fear."

"Dear," his wife calls from the kitchen, "I've heated up the food, come eat."

He turns off the TV, stands up, looks once more at Ah Ben and sighs, "don't worry. If they were much more than that, I wouldn't have allowed Gui to stay with us while she's visiting." He then walks off into the kitchen.

Ah Ben looks down and sighs, "dad's right," he says to himself, "they can't be so daring to do such a thing... it's impossible..." He lets out a deep breath and leans back onto the couch.

*******************************************************

Gui awakes from her nap and takes a look at the clock hanging on the wall, it was 2:38 in the morning. She turns beside her, just her on the bed. She sits up and sees Aaron sleeping on the table. She looks at him foolishly and sighs. She walks up to him and looks at him carefully shaking him. "Aaron..." she says lightly, "ey... go sleep on the bed..."

He doesn't wake up at all, not even a budge.

Gui loses patience, "ey!" She exclaims shoving him the head causing him to tip over the chair.

He groans in pain as he awakes finding himself rolling on the floor. He sits up and sees Gui glaring at him.

"Why are you sleeping at the table?" She questions, "is it so hard to take my sincerity?"

Aaron rubs the back of his neck and sighs, "aiya, I was being nice. Plus you're a girl, how can I let you sleep on the floor?" He gets up, stretches and looks at the time. He quickly stares back at her, "it's 2:40 in the morning and you still wake me up to deal with this situation?" He sighs, "you should've just kept on sleeping." He sighs and walks over to the floor, quickly lays down, covers himself with the blanket and tries to fall back asleep.

Gui watches him hoplessly as she walks to the bed and lays down trying to fall back to sleep.

They stared at the ceiling for a long time, before they could say anything.

"This is just like old times..." Aaron says, "except then you'd let me sleep on your bed."

Gui just sighs, "but we can't do that anymore..." she says, "it doesn't feel right anymore."

Aaron glances over at her, "no ones here right?" He gets up, grabs his things and jumps onto the bed with her.

"Ey!" She exclaims covering herself with the blanket, "what are you trying to do?!"

"I'm trying to sleep," he says, "besides I have a bad back, I should sleep on the bed." He lays down without another word and closes his eyes, "night!"

Gui ends up sitting next to him and knew she couldn't say no to him. Slowly, she lays down next to him and continues to stare at the ceiling. After a moment of silence she finally speaks. "It's become a habit."

"A habit?" He questions as he opens his eyes to look at her, "sleeping in bed with your big brother?"

She scoffs, "not that," she chuckles, "I meant looking at the ceiling before I sleep. I do it every night for the last ten years of my life... it's a habit now."

Aaron then looks at the ceiling as well and sighs, "you too? I thought it would just be me staring at our starless sky... turns out, I'm not alone waiting for a shooting star."

It remains silent for a while.

"Did you miss me?" He finally asks, "did you think about me at all while we were apart?"

Gui pauses before she could answer, "every day..." she lightly smiles, "I missed you every day, and I thought about you every day. It's become a habit now too..."

Aaron slowly turns to look at her.

She sighs, "sometimes even just looking at the ceiling like this I would think of you laying down beside me... comforting me to sleep... only then could I fall asleep. You were like my blanket... I couldn't sleep without you."

A smile grows on his face as he turns to look at her, "really?"

Gui slowly turns to look at him as well and nods.

He lightly frowns, "this is the first time in eight years where we could be like before... turns out we're miles away from home... miles away from everything... but we're just two feet away from each other... I don't know why... but I still feel like you're so far..."

Gui's smile disappears as they look at each other. She agreed, "you're just right next to me, just a reach away... but it still feels like an ocean's between us... is it just cause I've gotten used to you being far away?"

Aaron slowly reaches out and holds her hand, "no..." he sighs, "it's just that you haven't let me back into your heart... that's why I'm still so far..." he pauses and forces a smile, "you're welcomed in my heart anytime... you don't even have to ask for permission, because it's reserved for you."

Gui looked at him seriously, "reserved for me?" she continues to frown, "then... what about Hebe?"

Aaron too frowns, "she's Ah Ben's co-worker... we were set on a blind date... we just kept meeting with each other afterwards, went out for a few drinks, otherwise we're not official."

"Not official?" Gui questions, "but she continuously calls you like you're already an item."

Aaron laughs, "you've realized? Don't tell me you've been keeping track?"

Gui pouts, "I didn't."

He then nods, "ok. Even though it looks like it, I only treat her like my sister."

Gui looked at him suspiciously, "a girl you treat like your sister can look like your girlfriend, and yet your girlfriend is actually your sister."

"Girlfriend?" Aaron questions happily, "so you admit we're official?"

Gui looks at him, knowing she's let the cat out of the bag, "that's not what I meant!" She says turning red, "I a-actually meant..." she pauses, "we never ended things anyways. I just left..."

Aaron continues to smile, just hearing the word girlfriend out of Gui's mouth was enough to make him happy that whole night.

She looks at him and finally begins to smile. "Ey," she whispers, "it'll be our secret... ok?"

Aaron looks at her continuously smiling, "then, you're mine?"

She pouts, "of course. You're also mine."

He held onto her hand tightly and promised himself that night, he was never going to let her go, despite the consequences, he was prepared to face it with her.

=============================================