Chasing Happiness

Chasing Happiness

 

Rain has fallen from the sky as Ya Tou rushes into the house drenched, "it just has to rain today," she complains as she takes off her shoes.

Ah Ben and Hebe are in the living room revising through their plans or more like Hebe's plans.

He turns to her and sighs, "aiya mei you didn't even bother to bring an umbrella?"

She sighs, "the weather man said it was going to be sunny... it was sunny earlier then suddenly it just had to rain!'

Hebe just smiles, "don't blame her. If you let her date then maybe her boyfriend would've shed her with his umbrella."

Ah Ben justs grins.

Hebe then looks up the stairs at Aaron's bedroom door, "is Aaron sleeping? I haven't seen him all day."

"Of course he wouldn't be home today," Ya Tou says, "it's their mother's memorial."

"Their mom's memorial? You mean as Aaron and Gui's mom?"

Ah Ben nods, "every year Aaron goes. Since Gui's here she might've gone as well."

Hebe just faintly nods. "Are... Aaron and Gui close?"

Ya Tou quickly answers, "of course! Ge talks about Jie all the time! I remember he told me that she went to the US to stay with her dad after their mom died. I think this would be Gui's first time visiting ever since she left."

"They're steps right?" Hebe questions once more, "so... nothings going on between them?"

Ah Ben laughs, "of course nothing would be going on. They're like brothers and sisters, just like how Ya Tou and Aaron are, just close."

Hebe faintly nods and says to herself, "let's hope."

***********************************************************************

They run and take cover in the small town's bus station. Aaron sighs as he looks at the closed sign on the front desk. He looks at Gui, "ey, they're closed."

"Of course they're close, it's after five." She said fixing her hair, then she freaks out, "how are we going to get home?!"

He faintly smiles, "looks like we'll have to spend the night here."

Gui shakes her head, "we can't, dad will get suspicious. What will he think if he finds out that we're here together?!"

Aaron laughs at her, "fine, I'll call him and tell him to come get us." He takes out his phone and calls home as Gui sits down on the bench.

"You're stuck over there?" His mom says as she continues cooking, "your father? He's working late tonight, he might even sleep in his office. Can't you take a taxi?"

"Taxi?" Aaron questions then looking back at Gui, "does this town even have taxis?"

Gui sighs, "they do, but they're more like people taxi, like ricksaws."

Their mom sighs, "aiyo, I knew we should've gotten that car last year, but your father wanted a fishing boat instead," she sighs, "just spend the night there ok? Then you can take the bus back home ok?"

Aaron nods, "ok. Then we'll be back home tomorrow, first thing in the morning. Bye bye," he hangs up and turns back to look at Gui. He faintly smiles, "if we spend the night at the hotel, do you want one bed or two beds?"

Gui freaks out, "hotel?!"

*********************************************************************

"Who was that ma?" Ah Ben questions from the living room.

"That was Aaron, he and Gui are stuck over there since the bus station closed, they're going to spend the night over there," she calls out.

"Spend the night?" Hebe questions, "him and Gui?"

********************************************************************

Gui stares blankly at the one bedroom hotel room they got. She glares at Aaron who falls onto the bed tiredly. "How can you not even have enough money for a two bedroom hotel room?"

He sighs, "I don't have a job, so of course I don't have the money for it."

Gui sighs and walks over to the closet, she takes out the extra pillow and blanket and throws it onto the floor. She sighs as she grabs a towel as well as a robe, "I'm going to bathe, you can decide whether you want to sleep on the floor or the bed..." she then walks in and shuts the door afterwards.

Aaron looks at the blanket and pillow on the floor and then the bed. His phone rings and he picks up, "hello."

"Aaron," Hebe sounds distressed, "I heard your stuck in that small town... are you ok?"

He lays back down on the bed, "yeah. Why, you sound worried."

"Of course I'm worried. Do you want me to come get you?"

"It's ok," he says, "besides I already paid for the room, we'll be back in the morning. Don't worry. Besides it's a small town, there's not a lot of people we know, so we're stuck in this--" he gets interrupted by Gui as she screams. He drops the phone and rushes to her.

"Aaron?" Hebe questions as she remains on the line, "Aaron?"

He bursts into bathroom and sees Gui, only in a towel, who is laying on the floor after slipping onto the floor.

She freaks out, "what are you doing?!"

"Quiet!" He says as he carries her back into the room.

"What are you doing?!"

Hebe hears everything going on and thinks of it wrongly.

"Don't scream!" Aaron says as he takes a look at her bleeding elbow. He sighs and looks through the closet for the first aid kit. He grabs it and sits in front of Gui. He looks at her and sighs, "it's going to hurt a little."

"Hurt?!" She panics as he applys it on to her elbow, "it hurts! Stop! It hurts!"

Hebe, still on the phone, over hears everything... angry she throws her phone at the wall and it breaks into pieces.

Aaron bandages her elbow and sighs, "how can you be so clumsy? Slipping on water?"

She frowns as she looks at him, "I'm not clumsy..." she said, "it was an accident." She then looks down and realizes she's still in a towel, she freaks out even more and grabs the blanket to cover herself more.

Aaron sighs and turns away, "mei, there's nothing to look at anyways," he teases, "besides, I'm not really interested." He puts the first aid kit away and looks back at her, "are you hungry? I'll go get us something to eat. You can continue your bath." He then leaves.

Gui lets out a sigh and then looks at herself and pouts, "is there really nothing to look at?"

=============================================