Chasing Happiness

Chasing Happiness

 

Chapter 3

 

Gui is sitting in her room, everything seems to be put away, her blankets are folded up, her closet has been emptied into her suitcase, her pictures have also been placed downward onto her desk. Her eyes were swollen from all her crying.

Her dad comes into her room, picks up her luggage and looks at her, "I called your real dad, he said he'll pick you up from the airport."

Gui looked at him and nods.

He looked at her silently and sighs, "are you sure you want to go?"

She looks away and nods.

He sighs, "did you tell Aaron already?"

Gui shook her head, "it's better if he doesn't know." She forces a smile as she stands up to hug him, "in my heart, you're always going to be my dad... thank you... for making my mom happy."

He lightly pats her on her head and sighs, "you're always going to be my daughter too. If you need anything... just call ok?"

Gui nods.

"Let's go then... your flight takes off in an hour." He carries Gui's luggage and heads out.

Gui takes one last look at her room, takes out a letter from her coat pocket and stares at the ceiling.

***************************************

Aaron, is running home the minute he gets out of the bus. Once he reaches the house he struggles to open the door with his key, rushes in, runs up the stairs and into her room. His heart breaks. Everything was gone. He wonders around her room silently in tears, looking around for the memories they had in this room... but he couldn't find anything. Slowly, he climbs onto her bed and lays down on it, he begins to cry as he holds onto her blanket.

*Flashback...

"Then... should we tell them?"

"Of course not," she interrupts feircely. "But we can't continue on like this... do you plan to do this for the rest of our lives, sneeking out late at night just to see me? Have other siblings to call us Ge Ge... and Jie Jie... but secretly we'd wish they were never born?" Her eyes begin to tear up and she held back, "I'd be tired to try to hold up this relationship--"

"Then don't," he interrupted as he turned away from her, "you don't have to hold up this relationship... just be with me and I'll protect this relationship, I'll make it work."

Gui just continued to cry.*

===========================Eight Years Later============================

Aaron stands up at the table holding out his cup of wine, "I'd like to make a toast," he says happily as he looks at Xiao Yu and Xiao Man who were wearing wedding attires. "We've known each other for a long time, every one knew you two were going to get married one day and it's finally here! Good luck and best wishes!"

Everyone cheers and took a drink of their wine.

The lady next to Aaron pulls him down by the arm and he smiles to her.

"You're drinking too much," she complains, "give me the keys, I'll drive home."

"Ey, Hebe," Xiao Yu says over the table, "let him have his fun."

Everyone else started to input their sayis too.

She just lightly laughs and looks back at him with a grin, "fine, have fun tonight then, but I'll drive us home later ok?"

He just laughs and holds out his glass once more, "to Xiao Yu and Xiao Man!"

Everyone cheers once more.

Xiao Man's phone rings and she quickly picks up, "ey, where are you? I thought you'd say you wouldn't miss it for the world?"

"Sorry," the voice on the other line says, "the traffic is terrible today. I'll be there even if I'm late."

"Ok, but you have to come or I won't forgive you for leaving me five years ago."

She laughs, "ok. I'll see you soon, bye."

Xiao Man hangs up and continues on with the party.

*************************************

Gui hangs up her phone and looks out the window at the traffic. She looks at the taxi driver and pays him, "I'll get off here."

"Are you sure missy?"

She nods, "I'm sure. I'll walk there, I'm familiar with Taiwan anyways." She grabs the bag next to her and heads out onto the streets. In a couple minute she finally reaches the place, runs up the stairs quickly and enters into the place.

The lady at the front desk stands up, "are you looking for someone?"

Gui looks at her, "I'm here for my friend's wedding, can you tell me which floor they're on?"

The lady looks through the computer, "what's your friend's name?"

"Xiao Yu and Xiao Man."

The lady searched through the reservation through the computer, "ah, they're on the 8th floor. You'll find them in the banquet room 818."

"Thanks," Gui says quickly getting into the elevator.

==============================