Chasing Happiness

Chasing Happiness

 

After the rain has fallen and the sun shined through the clouds, a lone bus is on the road carrying two love birds to their destination as they hold hands, staring out at the view of the scenery.

Gui lets out a deep breath, "ma..." she says to herself, "I've found my happiness... even though it's a forbidden happiness I can't stop my feelings no more..."

Aaron lets out a deep yawn and looks at her lightly, "how could you sleep like a baby? I was dying from the rock-hard bed, even the floor was softer."

She glares back at him, "why are you still complaining? Can't we just enjoy a nice, quiet ride back home?"

He laughs at her and nods, "ok."

Gui then smiles lightly and looks back out the window. She takes in a deep breath and sighs, "after the rain the sun can shine like there was no storm... I wonder, if we'll be able to do so as well."

Aaron looks at her, "why? Are you planning on telling the world that we're together?"

Gui quickly looks at him, "are you?"

He grips onto her hand tightly, "only if you want to..."

Gui, pauses and thought about it. She then shook her head, "we can remain like this forever... even if it means no one will know, as long as we're together."

Aaron lightly smiles and leans in towards her for a kiss, but she backs off.

"Not in public," she whines and pushes him away. She turns back towards the window and sighs, "we need some rules..." She sat up straightly and sighs as she lifts up their hands that were clenched together, "we can't hold hands ever in public..."

Aaron just laughs, "we can now."

Gui looks at him, "I just mean when we get back. We'll tell everyone we slept in a hotel that had two beds, ok?"

He just nods.

"Also, we just have to act like before, I'll continue calling you Ge, and you continue calling me Mei. It'll be as if nothing happened and we're nothing more than siblings."

He just laughs at her, "you're so serious. If only you were this serious in school," he jokes.

Gui glares back at him and sighs, "you're annoying."

"I'm still your boyfriend though," he says laying his head on her shoulders.

Gui just laughs lightly to herself.

**************************************************

"We're back," they said coming into the house.

Ya Tou rushes towards them, "aiya how was the trip?" She then helps take their coats for them.

"It was troubling," Aaron says, "why'd it have to rain anyways?"

"Stop complaining," Gui says as she takes off her shoes.

Their father was sitting on the couch reading the newspaper as he sighs, "at least you guys are back safe and sound."

Gui looks at her dad and sits down next to him. "D-dad... did you pay mom a visit?"

He looks at her and smile, "I go in the morning so no one can hear me cry," he jokes and then pats her on the head, "I hope you're not mad that I remarried again are you?"

Gui shook her head, "as long as dad is happy, I'm happy."

He then smiles brighter and sighs, "are you hungry? I'll tell your mom--" he pauses because he wasn't sure if he should be calling Ya Tou's mom as Gui's mom as well.

She lightly frowns but keeps a smile, "she's like my mom too." Gui says, "I promise, I'll call her mom from now on..."

His eyes glisten, he always knew Gui was such a good daughter.

"I'll go get ready first," Gui says going up the stairs thinking to herself that she has someone to call mom again...

Aaron watches as Gui walks up the stairs.

Ya Tou sneaks up on him and sighs, "Ge, your clothes smells like cows..." She covers her nose, "please go change."

Aaron turns around and looks at her, "mei stop complaining or I'll--" He quickly hugs her to get his stench on her.

"GE!" she whines trying to pull him off as he .

Ah Ben comes out of his room when he sees Gui walking towards him to reach her bedroom. "You're back?" He questions.

Gui looks at him and forces a smile, "yeah, we got back just now."

He faintly nods, "there... there's nothing going on right?"

Gui looks at him strangely, "of course not, why would there be something going on? I mean we're just brothers and sisters--"

"I meant at your mom's burial site, everything's fine right?"

Gui holds in her breath knowing she gave him a little suspicion. She forces a smile, "yeah, everything's great-- I'm gonna get ready for the day." She then rushes into her room and slams the door right after.

Ah Ben takes in a deep breath and walks on down stairs.

************************************************************

"Let's get this too!" Ya Tou's mom says putting more groceries into the cart.

Gui watches her as she smiles, it shakes her up a bit.

"Ma, why are you buying so much?" Ya Tou complains, "we're not having a party are we?"

She looks at them and laughs foolishly to herself, "sorry, I get like this when there are sales... if--if you guys don't want to shop with me, I'm alright by myself. You guys can go take a look around the other sections." She takes the cart, "go ahead and look around, we'll meet up later ok?" She then rushes away from them with the cart.

Ya Tou sighs as they watch their mom clumsily stroll the cart away, "sorry, this is my mom. A little foolish and funny."

Gui just smiles, "it's ok... she reminds me of my mom too."

They're looking through the windows at some nice looking outfits and sighs.

"I hate window shopping," Ya Tou says to Gui, "it makes me feel useless staring at something I know I'll never get. I mean isn't it better to have it than to just look at it?"

Gui looks at Ya Tou strangely, "better to have it than to just look at it?" It made Gui think of Aaron... Ya Tou was right.

"Let's go," Ya Tou says starting to walk away.

Gui looks back at the dress and smiles brightly, "ey! Ya Tou!" She grabs onto Ya Tou and drags her into the store.

"Are you sure I can buy it?" Ya Tou asks as they stand at the cash register, "but I don't like oweing people money--"

"Ya Tou, you're my mei mei, why would you have to pay me back? I'm buying it for you because you're my sister," Gui then gives it to cash register lady and takes out her credit card. "I think I should mention, my dad in the US is a business man, so I don't actually have to worry about money. If you need anything, just tell jie jie ok?"

She looks at her and bit her lips, "even though your my jie jie, I can't just use you to buy me things."

Gui just smiles, "ok. Just asks me when you can't help not having it." Gui takes the bag with the clothes in it and hands it to Ya Tou, "it's yours."

Ya Tou slowly takes it out of appreciation.

Gui's phone rings and she picks up as they leave the store, "hello? Now you decide to call me after all those text messages?" She smiles, "you're here? Really?! Right now?! Ok!" She hangs up and looks at Ya Tou, "ey, come with me ok?"

"Where--"

Gui grabs onto her hand and smiles, "we're going to meet my friend!" She then runs off, dragging Ya Tou with her.

**************************************************

Hebe and Ah Ben are sitting at the conference table talking to their boss, Miss Zhou.

She looks at Ah Ben with a big grin, "this idea... is your work?"

Ah Ben and Hebe nods.

"We've been working many weeks for this final plan," Ah Ben says, "if it's ok, can you bring it up to the board of directors?"

Miss Zhou looks through the ideas once more, "I still don't get it's concepts though... can you please explain it to me once more Ah Ben?" She reaches out for his hands and gives him a big smile, she really was into him.

Ah Ben smiles nervously and nods, "the main idea is to do a fundraiser to raise money for the children's hospital. But in order to even start the fundraiser Hebe and I along with volunteers from the office, along with staffs at the hospital, and even the community could build a firefly house for the hospital as a sign of our hard work and for the patients to enjoy."

Miss Zhou continues to smile just staring into his dreamy eyes.

Hebe lets out a deep breath, "Miss Zhou, I hope this idea is very clear to you."

She looks at them and finally backs off from Ah Ben and looks through the paper work again, "I like the idea." She finally takes off her glasses and sighs, "but there's only one problem."

"Problem?" Ah Ben questions, "what kind of problem?"

"The big boss, as in my boss's boss's boss doesn't seem to care about work right now."

"The CEO?" Hebe questions, "what's wrong with him?"

Miss Zhou sighs, "it's his personal problem. Something about his kid running away from home."

"His kid?" They question and falls back into their chair losing hope.

Miss Zhou just sighs once more, "he's actually coming to town though. So if you want to persuade him with this idea then be my guest."

"He's coming here?"

Miss Zhou nods, "yes, infact, today. He'll be in the office tonight."

Hebe and Ah Ben looked at each other, relieved, their plan may in fact be the company's main project of the year.

**************************************************

Aaron is reading a book in his hands as his dad comes through the doors and sighs.

"Did you take it yet?"

Aaron looks at him and nods, "yeah."

"You really did this time? If I find them again I'll--"

"I did," he says sounding annoyed, "just hurry and go to work already."

His dad sighs, "you'll be ok by yourself right? I mean at least until your mom and the girls come back."

"Yes," he says irritated, "go already will ya?"

Without another word, his dad slowly walks out of his room.

Before his dad could even leave the house, his wife comes through with the groceries which he ends up helping her with.

"Where are the girls?"

She sighs, "I told them they could take a look around, they might've gone shopping in the mall instead. It's ok, I'll manage. Just hurry to work ok?"

He lightly nods, kisses her on the forehead and leaves for work.

She lets out a deep breath and gets started for dinner.

****************************************************

Ya Tou looks at Gui as they stand amidst the crowd waiting at the airport shuttle. She tugs onto Gui's arm, "what are we doing here?"

Gui looks at her and smiles, "my friend is coming to town. Of course I have to welcome him."

"Him?" Ya Tou questions, "a guy? Did you even tell mom and dad? They'll kill us if they found out."

"It's ok, he's not staying with us. He's going to stay at the hotel room I booked." She then looks at the shuttle when she saw people walking around. She looks aimlessly for him, seeing him she waves hysterically and runs to him. She hugs him, "you're really here?!"

He laughs, "I did say I was coming right?"

Gui looks at him closely, "oh my god it's really you!"

He continues to laugh.

She then pulls him towards Ya Tou, "this is my mei mei Ya Tou." She then looks at Ya Tou, "this is my best friend in the whole wide world, Wang Zi!"

He smiles to Ya Tou and nods, "hi, I'm Wang Zi."

She swallows nervously, "h-hi..."

Gui looks at him closely, "ey... he doesn't know you're here does he?"

Before Wang Zi could even say anything someone interrupts them.

"Doesn't know? Let's say I'm already prepared to take you back."

Gui freaks out and looks behind her. She holds in her breath seeing him stand before her and sighs, "dad..."

=================================