Chasing Happiness

Chasing Happiness

 

Ah Ben looked at Gui and Wang Zi as they entered into the house. He just sighs, "you're back?"

She nods guiltily, "I should explain to mom and dad about the situation. I'm really sorry."

Ya Tou shook her head, "it's ok, I've already told them about what happened. They said as long as your safe it's ok."

Gui looks relieved and then pulls Wang Zi with her to the sofa, but her eyes catches Aaron sleeping. She lets go of Wang Zi unknowingly and rushes to him.

"He slept there last night," Ya Tou explains, "I told him to sleep in the room, but he refused. I think Ge was worried about you."

Gui forces a sigh and tried to make things not suspicious, "aiyo, he's too much. Why does he still treat me as a little kid?"

Ah Ben saw Gui's reaction, even though she talked as if nothing was wrong, the look in her eyes were worried indeed.

Gui quickly got up and looks at Wang Zi, "let's go to the kitchen then. I'll make some pancakes."

Everyone left Aaron to sleep in the living room and left to the kitchen.

***********************************************************************************

A little while later after they were done eating and chattering amongst each other, Aaron begins to wake from the loud chattering. He sits up and hears Gui's voice, suddenly bringing him up onto his feet.

"I did not," Gui complains to Wang Zi, "it's not true, don't believe him."

"It is true." Wang Zi kept implying, "she had a crush on me ever since she saw me."

Hearing their words, Aaron makes his way to the kitchen. He sees Gui and Wang Zi sitting next to each other, laughing. Judging from the way they looked at each other, Aaron could tell they were very close. Not wanting to bother them, he makes his way up the stairs, un-noticed.

From the corner of her eyes, Ya Tou saw Aaron. Not wanting to disturb them, she too followed him into his room.

"Ge," she says lightly before he could close the door.

He turns back and looks at her.

Ya Tou forces a smile, "it's morning now, are you still tired or do you want to eat breakfast first?"

He just pats her head and smiles.

Ya Tou saw the look of pain in his eyes as he slowly closes the door without a word. "Ge.." she says lightly and decides not to bother him, she then walks back downstairs to join in on their continuing conversation.

"Gui's english is terrible," Wang Zi said, "when I first met her she couldn't even say hello correctly. Everyone made fun of her english even the teachers."

"Aiya, that was very long ago why are you bringing that up," Gui complained, "when you taught me english the first thing you taught me was 'I Like You' and lied it meant 'thank you'. Did you know how embarrassing it was to say that to people? They thought I was crazy."

Wang Zi just faintly smiles.

*Flashback...

"Please teach me how to say something." Gui begged him as she sat across from him in class.

The classroom was empty except for them.

He sighs, "you're a slow learner--"

"Please," she continued to plead.

"Fine..." He continued to teach her words every now and then from that moment on, it wasn't until their share of memories when he finally told her how he really felt.

...

"I want to learn how to say thank you," Gui said to him, "because everytime you teach me I can't even thank you properly."

He looked at her lightly as she stared at him with her soft gaze. He could feel his heart beating faster and he felt nervous.

Gui looked at him again, "please?"

He then looked at her and swallowed every bit of courage he could have, "I Like You," he says in english.

Gui looked at him strangely and repeated after him, "I.. Like... You?"

Wang Zi began to smile after hearing her say it back to him.

"This means thanks?" She says back in her native language.

Wang Zi nods.

Gui then smiles to him brightly, "I Like You," she says in english to him once more.*

Wang Zi looks down nervously after thinking of their memories.

Gui sighs, "if he isn't famous I would've stopped being friends with him," Gui joked, "but because he is famous I decided to remain beside him so that I could meet other famous people."

Wang Zi looks back at her, remembering he had just been fired. He still didn't know how to say it to her.

Gui then looks at him, "am I right?"

He goes along with her and nods as he jokes back, "but because of you I can't find myself a famous girlfriend."

She just rolls her eyes at him, "who's stopping you?"

The look in his eyes changes once more. In truth, Gui was stopping him... he couldn't even tell her how much he liked her.

Ah Ben looked at the time and stood up, "I have to go to work," he says walking out of the kitchen and then stops once more and turns back to Ya Tou, "ey, are you going to take him today or should I when I'm on break?"

Ya Tou looked at Ah Ben, "it's today? I forgot about it. I'll take him then since you're so busy with work."

Ah Ben nods as he puts his shoes on and left.

Gui looked at Ya Tou, "take who?"

She sighs, "today is Aaron's--"

"Morning!" Their mom says happily as she enters into the kitchen, she stops as she sees Gui and Wang Zi. She rushes to Gui and hugs her, "ah, you're back? Are you ok?" she asks worriedly.

Gui nods, "I'm ok, it's just my dad, he was worried about me."

She nods and then looks at Wang Zi, she smiles brightly and whispers to Gui, "your boyfriend?"

Gui freaked out, "it's not like that--"

"Hello," she says quickly letting go of Gui and shaking hands with him already, "I'm Gui's mommy, you're so handsome! How long have you two been dating?"

Wang Zi was confused himself, "uh--"

"Ma," Gui and Ya Tou interrupts out of embarrassment.

She just smiles guiltily and sees their plates still on the table, "aiya did I wake up that late? Seems like you already had breakfast." She picks up after them with the help of Ya Tou, "are you guys still wanting more? I'll just make something anyways and you'll just have to eat it ok?" She says cheefully rushing with Ya Tou to place the dishes in the sink.

Gui pouts as she looks at Wang Zi embarrassed, "sorry."

He shook his head with a warm smile, "it's ok. I can tell why you like it here so much."

Gui just nods.

*******************************************************************

"Did you get any information?" Ah Ben asks Hebe as they stand in the hallway of their working place in a secluded area.

Hebe just sighs, "I looked through the employment records already. There are five matches of the possible secretary that could've had any type of relation with the chairman. The only problem I came upon is that two of them were pregnant around the same time and took leaves within months of each other. I was really frustrated. Could he had relationships with all of them?"

Ah Ben just sighs, "don't worry, it's just two woman, I'll search up one and you can search up the other. Ok?"

Hebe just nods and hands him the two folder, "here."

Ah Ben opens the first one as Hebe explains.

"Pauline Chen, was employed in 1981, had an immediate promotion from phone operator to secretary within eight months. Prior to the year 1985 she took leave in March." Hebe sighs and points to her picture, "she's very young looking don't you think?"

Ah Ben just nods and looks at her case records, "it looks like she had a very easy job while working here. Did you find out why she left?"

Hebe shook her head, "I asked Mike to pull the files, but he said only if I'll have dinner with him." She sighs, "I guess I'll have to pull it out of the computer myself."

Ah Ben places the first folder between his arm and opened the next folder. What he saw scared him.

Hebe sighs, "Maggie Hu, employed in 1983, she became a secretary instantly even though she worked for only two years, she left in June of 1985." Hebe looked at Ah Ben and saw his worried expression. "What's wrong?"

Ah Ben shook his head and quickly closed the folder after.

*********************************************************************

Ya Tou is waiting down the stairs for Aaron, "Ge," she kept calling, "we're gonna be late."

He comes down the stairs and sighs, "ok."

"You take so long to get ready," she then heads towards the door to put her shoes on, "we're going!" She calls out.

Gui quickly looks over to catch a glimpse of Aaron putting his shoes on.

"Ok!" Their mom calls out, "Ya Tou, remember not to let your brother wander off alone ok?"

"Yes," she says looking at Aaron, "looks like I'm going to babysit you today."

He just sighs, "we're going..." he says lightly and looks back at Gui before he exits the house with Ya Tou.

Gui looks at her mom, "where are they going?"

She was too busy feeding Wang Zi to hear the question.

Gui looks at the door once again, for some reason she was worried.

**********************************************************************

Ya Tou and Aaron are sitting at the bus stop waiting for the bus to pick them up. She sighs and looks at the time, "hopefully we make it in time..." She then looks at him and realizes he was feeling down a bit. "Ge," she finally says, "are you ok?"

He doesn't look at her as he answers, "I'll be ok."

"But you pat my head this morning. You only do that when somethings on your mind. You can always tell me."

He remains quiet then he slowly looks up at her, "can you keep a secret?"

She continues to look at him, wondering in her mind what his secret could be. "I can keep your secret," she says lightly, "just tell me what's wrong."

Aaron looks at her as the words were on the tip of his tongue, he kept pondering whether or not he should tell her, but he was about to explode if it remained inside of him. "Ya Tou..." he begins to breath once more, "I..." he pauses and looks away, "I have a girlfriend."

She was confused, "this is your secret?"

"But you can't tell anyone ok?"

Ya Tou nods as she continues to look at him, "who is she? Do I know her?"

Aaron's face turns pale as his vision becomes a blur. He became dizzy and felt weak as he sat there staring at the crowded street, he could feel his heartbeat suddenly drop, he felt cold and collapses.

"Ge!" Ya Tou exclaims and helped him as she screamed for help.

=====================================================================