Chapter 8

Chasing Happiness

 

Hebe walks with Ah Ben up to the house, when they enter into the gate, they find Gui sleeping on the porch.

Ah Ben just laughs to himself, "this is... supposedly my mei, but I've just met her yesterday."

Hebe looks at her and remembers her from the wedding night. "Oh, Aaron's step-sister."

Ah Ben walks up to her, shakes her to wake her up, but she doesn't budge. As he touches her bare arms, he realizes she was freezing. He quickly carries her, "I think she's been out here too long," he looks at Hebe, "can you open the door?"

Hebe then helps him.

Ah Ben lays Gui on her (well now Ya Tou's) bed. He touches her head and just sighs, "she and Aaron are so alike, it's like they could really be brothers and sisters."

Hebe just sighs and takes a look around the room. "Ya Tou's room?"

Ah Ben nods, "it used to be Gui's." He sighs, "let her sleep, we'll go talk in the living room.

They then left her.

"I think the idea is good," Ah Ben says as he looks through the documents, "but, do you really want to handle it? It's quite a money spender."

Hebe nods, "this is my dream," she says, "I really want to be in charge of this project, I just need you to help me persuade the boss."

Ah Ben looks at her, "but--"

"Please," she begs, "besides... everyone knows the boss likes you. Why do you think you've never been fired even though you're late so many times, you fall asleep during all the company meetings, you're not even enthuastic about work."

He glares at her and then sighs, "fine. But, do I get a cut in this too then?"

Hebe nods, "50/50. Deal?" She holds out her hand waiting for a handshake.

Ah Ben thinks about it and then sighs, "you're sure?"

Hebe nods.

He smiles and shakes her hand, "deal."

Aaron is coming down the stairs when he sees them.

Hebe quickly stands up, "Aaron."

He looks at her, "how long have you guys been here?"

Ah Ben sighs, "not long. Ey, did you and Gui get into a fight?"

The look in his eyes changes but he looks down, sighs, and just walks into the kitchen to grab something to drink.

The front door opens again and their mom comes through with the groceries.

Ah Ben and Hebe rushes to help her carry them.

"Hebe you're here?" She questions, "did Ah Ben invite you?"

Hebe nods with a smile, "we're talking about a business plan."

"Business plan?" they continue their conversation as they walk into the kitchen as well, "what business plan?"

Hebe continues to smile, "you all know I'm an orphan, so I just wanted Ah Ben to help me pursuade the boss for a future plan."

She looks at Hebe and laughs, "are you sure Ah Ben can help you?"

Hebe teases him, "the boss likes him anyways."

Ah Ben shrugs her a little and walks away towards Aaron as the girls continue talking with each other, "ey you should go check on Gui," he tells him, "she was sleeping outside when me and Hebe came home, she was kinda cold."

He looks at Ah Ben, worried yet at the same time he had to act as if he wasn't, "oh..." that was all he could say, nothing more.

****************************************************************

Gui tumbles out of bed, the sky is dark now as she sits up and sees a bowl of soup still warm on the table next to her. She looks at it and removes the pot covering the aroma of it. She could tell it was delicious just from the smell. She then saw the note next to it and read it.

:jie, eat up while it's warm otherwise you'll catch a cold. Don't go sleeping around anymore, if you're tired feel free to sleep in my room anytime. Ya Tou:

Gui just smiles, "she's too cute," she says as she begins to eat the soup.

Ya Tou then enters into the room, with her backpack and school uniform on. She looks at Gui, "ey, so you were in here the whole time?"

Gui looks at her, "of course, did you think I'd walk up and leave while sleeping?"

She drops her backpack onto the floor beside the bed and bellyflops onto it. She stretches as she lays there, "where you sleeping here? The bed's not done."

Gui stares at her confused, "you..." she looks back at the bowl of soup.

Ya Tou sees it and smells it. She brightly smiles and dashes towards her, "Jie jie, can I have some? I haven't eaten yet."

Gui just stares at her, blankly as Ya Tou takes the spoon and begins to eat with Gui. "You..." Gui begins again, "didn't give me the soup?"

Ya Tou looks at her confused, "how can I? I was at the library, I just got home."

Gui was really confused and looks at the note once more.

***************************************************************

Aaron is lying on his bed, reading a book when Gui opens the door and enters in. He looks at her and quickly sits up.

She takes in a deep breath and sighs, "thanks for the soup. It was very delicious." She turns around to leave.

"Gui," he says stopping her before she could even open the door, "about earlier... I'm sorry... I... I didn't mean for it to go that far."

She stares at the door, refusing to turn around and look at him, "I forgive you..." she says, "but remember... we're just brothers and sisters. OK?" She then leaves.

Aaron, slowly lays back down on his bed and stares at the ceiling blankly. He then takes the book and covers his face with it as he lets out a sigh.

===============================================