Chasing Happiness

Chasing Happiness

 

Chapter 1

"Oh, so that's how you do it," Gui says from her bedroom as she sits in front of the desk, Xiao Yu next to her.

Aaron is walking back and forth, peeking at them silently.

"I get it now," Gui says smiling, "it's quite easy now that I think about it. Thanks."

He just shakes his head, "it's ok. Ey, Gui can I ask you a question?"

She looks at him strangely, "sure, what is it?"

"Does..."

Aaron walks by once more.

Xiao Yu smiles meekly, "does your brother often wander around in the hallway?"

Gui quickly turns around and sees Aaron walking back and forth with no purpose. She grins at him and then faces Xiao Yu with a smile, "it's nothing. He's probably just exercising."

Xiao Yu chuckles to himself, "that's good... otherwise I was thinking he was glaring at me the whole time." His phone rings as he recieves a text message. He smiles to Gui after reading it, "I have to go, Xiao Man is outside."

Gui nods and walks him out the door to greet Xiao Man as well. She enters back into the house to be staring back at Aaron. She could tell he wasn't happy at all. "What is it?" She asks irritated, "why did you have to scare Xiao Yu like that?"

Aaron just rolls his eyes and enters into the kitchen pulling on her hand, "I'm hungry, make me something to eat."

"Ey, am I your servant?" She nags, "I'm your sister, not your maid--"

He quickly turns back to look at her, she loses her breath as she stares at him. She felt nervous and quickly looks down, "ok." She says quickly running to make something for them to eat.

Gui serves him a pot of noodles and without thinking about her, Aaron quickly takes it away and begins eating it out of the pot. She glares at him, "ey, do you have to be so rude? Xiao Yu was just tutoring me."

He continues to eat, not minding what she was saying at all.

She then sighs, "luckily mom and dad aren't home, otherwise they'd be suspicious as well."

He then looks at her and grins, "why? You're worried?"

She looks at him, pouts, and turns away, "of course. Who wouldn't be worried. If they find out... who knows what would happen." Gui looks at him once more, "they may seperate us."

"That's even better," he says, "that way we can continue dating am I right, mei (little sister)."

She grins at him, "you're not worried at all," as she tries to leave the table he quickly holds onto her hand and smiles to her. She looks at him worriedly. The look in his eyes scared her not that he was glaring at her, but because it was the 'don't go' look, without another word she sits back down.

He smiles lightly and sighs, "they're going to find out one day--"

"That's what scares me," she says straight out, "mom and dad has even been married for over two years, and we're already doing things behind their back."

He's smile begins to fade because he too was worried, he continues to look at her, "then... do you want to leave me?"

She looks at him seriously... a part of her wanted to tell him that night 'let's end it before anyone gets hurt,'... but she knew if she end it with him at that moment, she'd be the one hurting even more. She couldn't let him go, not now, not ever, she loved him and she didn't want to leave him.

"Then... should we tell them?"

"Of course not," she interrupts feircely. "But we can't continue on like this... do you plan to do this for the rest of our lives, sneeking out late at night just to see me? Have other siblings to call us Ge Ge... and Jie Jie... but secretly we'd wish they were never born?" Her eyes begin to tear up and she held back, "I'd be tired to try to hold up this relationship--"

"Then don't," he interrupted as he turned away from her, "you don't have to hold up this relationship... just be with me and I'll protect this relationship, I'll make it work."

Gui just continued to cry.

*****************************************

That night as the sky darkened, there were no moon, no stars, but two shadows were in her room, with a small candle on a cupcake. When the clock struck 12 midnight, he sanged to her happy birthday in whispers. She blew out the candles with a frown on her face and he would silently wish her happy birthday. They laid on her bed that night, staring up at the ceiling once more, just staring at the reflection of the night lamp again.

"It's nice like this isn't it?" Aaron asks lightly with a smile, "if only it was this peaceful, not thinking of anything else in the world... and just being with you..." he sighs as he looks at her, "it's nice right?"

Gui just lightly nods and sighs, "if only it was like this..."

He looked at her once more and turns to look at her. "if there was a day we weren't brothers and sisters would you remain beside me forever?"

Gui let the silent take over as she look at him lightly, she faces him and whispers, "only if that day comes..."

Aaron lightly smiles and turns to look at the ceiling once more, a small smile grows on his face as he hears her light breathing. A moment later, they fell asleep.

=============================