Chasing Happiness

Chasing Happiness

Ya Tou sits in the waiting room of the hospital, clenching onto her hands with all her might, her tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Ya Tou!" They exclaim running down the hall towards her.

"Ma!" She continues to cry and runs out to her mom and hugs her tightly, "I'm so scared!"

Ah Ben sighs, "what happened?"

She just shook her head, "Ge... he just fainted! I was so scared! I didn't know what to do!"

Hebe rushes to the emergency room's door and stared at it for a while, her eyes were tearing up as she heard the monitor just behind the door. She couldn't take it and walked back and forth anxiously.

Their dad sat down immediately on the seat, he too was scared, being here at the hospital once more reminded him of the death of both his ex-wives, Aaron's mom and Gui's mom, he couldn't take being in the hospital just waiting. His hands were shaking out of fear, he didn't want to lose anything anymore, especially his own son.

Ya Tou looked around and then back at her mom, "where's Jie?"

She sighs as she continues to pat her daughter's head, "Gui left with Wang Zi before we received the phone call, she doesn't know yet."

*****************************************************************************

Gui and Wang Zi are walking down the feild of her mother's burial ground. She touches the wheat grass that was up to her waist, she could feel the light wind blowing against her skin, down by the river the red color of the bridge has begun to fade.

He looks at her as he trailed her footsteps, "this is your favorite place?"

Gui looked back at him and nods, "my mom took me here all the time when we still lived in the village near by, this is my mom's heaven, this shall also be my heaven."

Wang Zi walks past her and stares at the feild, he just smiles, "it's beautiful."

Gui nods and walks up at him to stare out at the river and the bridge with him. She began to frown staring at the waters.

*Flashback...

He looks at her, heartbroken. He pauses before he could answer, "I can't..." He takes in a deep breath, "I love you."

She continues to look at him, those words begins to break her down even more. She covers her ears and shakes her head, "you can't love me!"

He rushes up to her, moves her hands away from her ears, stare her right in the eyes, "I love you..." he says calmly to her as she looks at him. Their tears continues to run down from their eyes. He continues to stare at her passionately, "Gui... I love you..."

She hears it once again... feeling guilty all at once and also happy... but she knew no matter what she felt, she couldn't help it... she loved him too. She pulls him to her and kisses him.*

A light smile appears on Gui's lips as she tries to hide her expression from Wang Zi, but he already caught her.

"Why are you smiling all of a sudden?"

Gui looked at him and came clean, "I met my first love here. Just thinking of the memories, makes me happy."

"First love?" He questions, "so your first love isn't me," he jokes.

Gui laughs at him and wonders on by the bridge, she touches the railing and sighs, "I was only a child then... I didn't even know what love was... but this place was the perfect place to meet, even if it was by accident..."

*Flashback... 10 years ago...

The little Gui is running through the feild onto the bridge where she sat and cried as she let her feet hang down to touch the cold waters. She continued to cry, feeling betrayed that her mom was really going to marry another man, leaving her father, leaving their family and becoming families with someone else. What was a little kid supposed to do when she knew her family wasn't happy... she only knew how to cry.

A little boy wearing a white coat walks on by and sees her. He sighs as he calls out to her, "you're going to catch a cold if you put your feet in the water."

Scared by him, she looked over at him, showing him her tears.

He walked by her and sighs, "how old are you? Why are you crying?"

She pouts and looks away from him, "this place belongs to me, can't I cry here then?" She says in her little, irritated voice.

The little boy just looks at her face, he could tell she was trying to avoid shivering although it was visible in her face. He looked around and realized she didn't have a pair of shoes behind at her at all, she must've ran outside barefoot. "Are you stupid?" He asks out of the blue, "or do you village people just walk around barefoot all the time?"

Gui pouts back at him, "what's it to you?!"

He then walks up to her silently and sits down next to her not putting his feet into the water, but just sitting next to her silently.

"What are you trying to do?"

He looks at her, "if I leave you like this you're going to get sick, I'll wait here until you're done crying and take you home, or else you'll end up dying here."

She just continues to pout and gives up, "fine, I'm going home." She stood up and places her cold feet onto the bridge. Just standing there she was shaking all over.

He sighs and faces his back to her, "get on."

She looked at him anxiously, "why should I--"

"You're cold." He told her and took off his mittens, "wear them as socks," he told her.

Gui glared at him, "I'll look stupid--"

"You already are for putting your feet in the water." He then got onto his knees and placed his mittens on her instead. He stood up and continued to look down at her feet and tries not to laugh, "you look like a penguin."

She continues to glare at him.

He quickly sweeps her off her feet and places her onto his back and starts down the road.

Gui could feel her heart beating fast as her chest presses against his back.

He just smiles, "are you nervous?" He asks, "your heart is beating so fast you could have a heart attack."

She scoffs, "do you want me to pull your hair? Just keep walking!"

He just laughs, "what's your name little kid?"

She rolls her eyes, "Gui."

"Gui?" He questions with a laugh, "I'm Aaron. Looks like our meeting is by fate, we're going to be siblings."

"Siblings?!" She freaks out.*

Thinking back on their first meeting made Gui laugh to herself and saw Wang Zi glances down at her with a smile. She covers and turns away blushing lightly, "sorry, did I look funny just now?"

He shook his head, "no, it's cute."

Gui looked back at him and just smiled, "let me introduce you to my mom!" She says cheerfully and runs across the bridge.

Wang Zi keeps his eyes on her, the feeling of being with her made him happy, he then runs trying to catch up to her.

Gui turns back and looks at him with a bright smile, she looked very beautiful with the wind in her hair and the sun shining down on face. Wang Zi felt his heart beat quicken. The hidden feelings in his heart felt as if they were going to escape in whispers.

She laughs at his blank expression, "Wang Zi what's wrong? You look as if you've seen a ghost," she jokes.

He forces a smile, "your name is Gui isn't it?" He then walks up to her and faces her closely, "why is it just now I've realized you seem so happy?"

Gui takes a step back, "does it seem that way? Maybe it's because I'm just visiting my mom," she rushes towards her mom's grave and sits down in front of it, she looks back at Wang Zi and smiles, "come here, quick!"

He then walks up to her slowly.

"Ma," she says with a smile, "did you miss me? I miss you too much, I keep finding excuses to come back here. Did you know? I brought a friend to see you, his name is Wang Zi."

Wang Zi just lowers his head politely.

Gui continues on with a smile, "he's my friend from the US, he came with dad." Mentioning her dad at this moment made her uneasy, she felt wrong coming here not inviting her father to come along and pay his welcomes. She began to sigh and asks as if nothing was wrong, "I had a dream last night, I dreamed about you again, you were holding me in your arms just like the old times, you would hum me a song before I fall asleep, you stopped doing it when I started to sleep in my own room... it made me sad. I regret wanting to sleep in my own room now a days, I wish I still had you to hum me to sleep..." She forces a smile and looks at Wang Zi, "say something."

He looks at her confused and shook his head, "it's ok, I don't want to disturb your conversation."

She shook her head, "it's ok."

Wang Zi just looks down and forces out his words, "hello..." he felt awkward and forces a small chuckle, "I'm Wang Zi, I'm Gui's friend." That was all he could say. They just sat there silently the rest of the time.

***************************************************************************************

Aaron is sleeping on the hospital bed, everyone remains silent, watching him sleep peacefully. Hebe is on his right side, Ya Tou on the left, Ah Ben is sitting on the sofa by the window, his mom and dad are outside in the hall talking with the doctor.

Ya Tou looks at the time on her watch and sighs, "why didn't Gui pick up her phone?"

Ah Ben notices Ya Tou's worried expression, "are you worried because Gui isn't here, or because Gui is with that guy?"

She suddenly looks at her brother and shook her head, "that's not it--"

The door closes behind her as their parents enter into the room.

"Ma, is there anything wrong?" Ya Tou questions quickly rushing to her mother's side.

She just looks down and refuses to say a word.

"Dad," Ah Ben says standing up, "is Di alright?"

He nods, "the doctor says after the tests done earlier, he'll be able to leave tomorrow morning. We don't have to worry anymore, Aaron's alright."

Ya Tou finally breathes, "that's good..."

Hebe continues to clench onto his hand, not willing to let go, she was afraid. It's been so long since she's held his hand, since she was able to be beside him. Thinking of how she's put her job infront of him the whole time, she felt foolished of neglecting him.

***************************************************************************************

Gui's phone continues to ring as she sat on the bus with Wang Zi. She refuses to pick up and would always send it to voice message.

He looks at her strangely, "who keeps calling you?"

She looks back at him and forces a smile, "it's just Ya Tou. It's probably nothing important."

Wang Zi just nods and looked at the time on his watch, "your dad should be back at the hotel in any minute... I'm afraid we won't be back before he does. I can already see his reaction."

Gui lets out a deeply needed breath, "you've known him well enough don't you?" She looks at the bracelet on her wrists, "did you know, this was the last birthday present he gave me."

Wang Zi looked at it after seeing her twirl it around on her wrist. It was a beautiful silver chain bracelet. Besides the lone golden diamond that could've caught anyone's attention, it didn't stand out as much as the bell shaped designs.

She looked back at him, "I was only six years old then, he was always away on business and didn't have much time for me. So as a present he gave it to me and he told me, when ever I need him, all I have to do was wear it and with every little step I take, it'll ring to over a million miles away, once my dad hears it he'll come to me as soon as he can..." she lets go of the bracelet and forces a smile, "it was a lie... but it wasn't the first lie he told me about anyways, I'm used to him lying to me."

Wang Zi sighs and looks ahead, "then why do you continue to wear it?"

Gui looked at him and knew her answer immediately, "because I hope someone else can hear it..."

Hearing those words made Wang Zi's heart flutter. He looked back at her, seeing her light smile as she looked at him. "Then... did someone else hear it?"

Gui lightly nods, "he's been beside me since..." she then turns and faces the window thinking of Aaron.

Wang Zi continues to watch her, only seeing her reflection from the window. He thought she meant him.

****************************************************************************

"I just went to visit mom," Gui says lightly as she sat across from her father who was looking through some paperwork, "don't you think... you should visit her too?"

He finally catches a glimpse of her, "do you think she would want to see me?" He crosses his legs and leans forward to get a closer look at her. He saw that Gui had refused to look at him in the eyes. He then sees the bracelet on her wrist and sighs, "you still kept that old thing?"

Gui quickly covers it with her hand and pulls her sleeve over it.

Her father continued to look at her, unaware that Wang Zi had entered into the room. "Did you go visit your other family?"

Gui didn't hide it, "I did. Just to tell them I was fine."

He grins and sits back into his chair.

Wang Zi walks up to Gui and sighs, "ey, I'm hungry." His actions and words were just like those of Aaron's.

Gui sighs and looks at him, "I'm a little busy now--"

"You can go," her dad says continuing to look through his paperwork. He refused to left his head up to look at them when they left the room.

Wang Zi was pulling Gui by her arm and puts her ahead of him. He makes her face him harshly, "why do you continuely bow down to your dad?"

Gui lightly moved his hands from her arms and sighs, "it's not that I bow down to him..." she says lightly, "it's just that I can't speak comfortably with him."

Wang Zi saw the look in Gui's eyes, he couldn't be mad at her, not even for a second. He then takes out his phone from her pocket, "your sister called me just now."

"Sister? Oh, Ya Tou?" Gui took the phone and was about to dial the number, then she suddenly looked at Wang Zi, "how did she get your number?"

Wang Zi just shrugs his shoulders.

Gui turns away and calls her back.

************************************************************************************

The room is almost empty, the only person with Aaron now is Ya Tou. Ah Ben and Hebe had rushed back to work, their mom has gone home to ease her mind, their father back at work trying not to think of the worst to come. In her dazed state, she manages to sleep on the chair without falling over. Aaron begins to awake after sleeping for hours in the uncomfortable hospital bed. He sees his little sister sleeping beside him, he just chuckles to himself noticing her painful face. He forces himself to sit up and pats her head lightly. It startles her waking her from her sleep.

"Ge!" She cries in astonishment, "are you ok?"

He nods, "why are you here? Don't you have school?"

"No one wanted to stay and watch you in pain, I was stuck staying here."

Aaron turns to look at the window, the sky is now dark. "What time is it now?" He asks looking back at her, "why am I still here?"

"It's almost midnight," she says, "the doctor says you'll be able to leave in the morning."

He finally breathes, "good, I hate hospitals."

Ya Tou faintly looks at him, "ge, is it because your mom..." she pauses, "you had bad memories here?"

He saw her expression and forces a smile, "that was the past. I just hate being in the hospital. Maybe because I'm scared one day I'm going to be locked up in a hospital room, tied up to the bed... it's worst than a nightmare."

She couldn't say anything, he was right, that would be scary. Then her phone rang, she quickly takes it off the table standing next to the hospital bed and looked at the caller ID, it was Wang Zi's phone number. She answers, "ey, did you tell Gui to call me back?"

"Ya Tou, I am Gui, what's wrong?"

"Gui," Ya Tou finally says looking at Aaron who was startled to find out it was her. She slowly turns in the opposite direction, "what have you been doing all day? I couldn't even get a hold of you."

"Sorry, I was with Wang Zi, I took him to visit my mom's burial site."

"You were with Wang Zi the whole day?" Ya Tou repeats unknowingly out loud. Aaron over hears her, it begins to tumble his already weak heart.

"Sorry, next time I won't ignore your calls. What's wrong? Why were you trying to reach me so badly?"

Ya Tou then looks back at Aaron and answered, "it's because ge--"

He quickly removed the phone from Ya Tou's hand and whispers to her, "don't tell her... please."

Seeing the pain in his eyes, Ya Tou couldn't do anything but obey. She then picks up the phone and places it next to her ear, she pauses, "Ah Ben ge just wanted to know when you'll be home tonight."

Gui lightly chuckles, "that's it? I... I don't know if I'll be able to come back home tonight. My dad isn't working overtime tonight, so I'll probably have to sneak out again tomorrow morning. Make sure you tell Aar--" Gui pauses, "Ah Ben I'll try to be home tomorrow. Bye then, I have to go," she then hangs up.

Ya Tou continues to stare at Aaron as she hangs up. He begins to turn away, refusing to look at her.

"Ge..." her voice was light almost as if they were whispering, "why didn't you want me to tell jie?"

He doesn't move a muscle... in his little mind he began to wonder, could he be able to tell her...

=======================================================================