Chapter 5

Chasing Happiness

Aaron looks at Gui closely, "it's really you..."

She looks at him lightly and forces a smile, "Ge! It's you! I didn't think I was going to meet you here!"

The look in his eyes were painful, "is that all you can say to me? Gui... it's been eight years... you really have nothing else to say?"

She looks away and continues to smile, "it's getting late. Have fun, I'm going to head on home. Do you and dad still live at the same place? I'll come see dad tomorrow so make sure you tell him not to go anywhere ok--"

"Gui!" he says seriously causing her to remain silent, "didn't you miss me at all? Why didn't you tell me you were leaving... do you know how sad I was?"

She refuses to look at him still, but her eyes were tearing up even more.

"Aaron," Hebe says coming out with their things. She stood beside him and looked at Gui, "who's this?"

Gui moves Aaron's arms and looks at her as if nothing was wrong, "sorry to be so rude. I'm Gui, Aaron's step-sister. It's getting late, so I'll be leaving now. Bye." Taking this opportunity she quickly leaves. Walking further and further away she begins to cry, "Aaron..." she says to herself, "I missed you..."

**************************************

Aaron wakes up from his bed with a splitting headache. He sits up in his bed and reaches for a letter on the table next to him.

*Flashback...

Aaron, is running home the minute he gets out of the bus. Once he reaches the house he struggles to open the door with his key, rushes in, runs up the stairs and into her room. His heart breaks. Everything was gone. He wonders around her room silently in tears, looking around for the memories they had in this room... but he couldn't find anything. Slowly, he climbs onto her bed and lays down on it, he begins to cry as he holds onto her blanket.

He then turns to look at the ceiling and sees the letter. He stands up and takes it off the ceiling.*

His bedroom door opens and he quickly hides the letter away.

"Ge!" She runs into his room, jumps on his bed and holds him from behind, "you're in trouble! Dad is going to punish you with washing the dishes!"

He laughs at her, "dad's home already?"

She nods, "mom went crazy when Hebe sent you home in a mess."

"Ya Tou," their mom says coming in, "come help me set the table."

"Ok!" She says cheerfully running out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

His stepmom enters into the room and sits down next to him. She sighs, "did you have fun last night?"

Aaron looks at her and faintly sighs, "sorry I came home late last night, did you stay up long?"

She shook her head, "it's ok. Just becareful next time ok?"

He nods.

"Get ready and come down for lunch ok?" she then left his room.

Aaron stares blankly at the floor for a minute longer. {Aaron POV} "Three years ago... dad remarried... he's been very happy since...� my new mom is very caring and understanding, although if we do something wrong she gives us the silent treatment, but she brought along two new siblings for me, Ya Tou and Ah Ben... I have a mei mei to tease me and a ge ge to bug me. Things have been getting better... until last night, I suddenly have a black hole in my heart again..." He then got up and heads to the bathroom.

**********************************

Gui heads out of the hotel and calls for a taxi.

"Sorry," she apologizes through the phone as she sits in the taxi.

Xiao Man and Xiao Yu are on the plane waiting for take off.

"You should've stayed longer, why did you rush out like that?" Xiao Man complained, "it's been eight years and we just kept up with each other via MSN. Don't you know I missed you too?"

Gui just laughs, "I said I was sorry didn't I? Ok, when you get back from your honeymoon I'll watch you guys imitate the wedding ok?"

Xiao Man just smiles, "ok, but this time you have to promise me you won't leave until I come back. I must get to spend the whole day with you before you leave."

"Miss," the air-hostess comes up to her, "sorry, but we're about to take off."

She nods, "Gui, I'll call you next time, the plane's about to take off."

"Ok, have fun at your honeymoon bye bye." She then hangs up and looks at the taxi driver, "are we almost there?"

"Yes," he says, "in about five minutes."

"Thanks," Gui says sitting back and looking through her phone call for any miss phone calls from last night, there was one which she listened to.

**********************************

"I'm off," Ah Ben says as he stood by the doorway.

"Hold on Ge!" Ya Tou says rushing towards him and handing him his coat.

"Ah Ben, becareful at work this time ok?" His mom says, "don't fall asleep again or else your boss will fire you this time."

He just laughs, "I know already."

The door opens and their dad comes in, "ey, Ah Ben, you're leaving already?"

"Yes dad, I'll be home later tonight, I'll call if I have to work over time."

"Ok, but don't fall asleep this time ok?"

He laughs, "I know."

Aaron is sitting on the couch and looks over, "ey Ah Ben, remember to tell Hebe I have things going on tonight, so I can't meet up for our date."

"Things?" Ya Tou became suspicious and quickly sat down next to him, "ey, what's more important than Hebe? Is it another girl?"

Aaron just stares at the TV.

"Two timing?" Ya Tou teases, "I'm going to tell Hebe Jie, she'll punish you for sure!"

Ah Ben just laughs, "I'll get going then," he then leaves.

Aaron looks at his dad.

*Flashback...

She looks away and continues to smile, "it's getting late. Have fun, I'm going to head on home. Do you and dad still live at the same place? I'll come see dad tomorrow so make sure you tell him not to go anywhere ok--"*

"Dad," Aaron says but is quickly interrupted.

"Are you hungry," his mom asks. "I've prepared lunch already."

They then leave into the kitchen.

***************************************

Gui exits the taxi and takes a look at the house as she touches the stone wall. A smile slowly appears on her face as she takes in a deeply needed breath. She reaches the gate just as Ah Ben was coming out.

They looked at each other weirdly.

"Are you looking for someone?" He asks.

"Uh... you live here?" Gui asks.

He nods, "for three years now..."

"Then... does Aaron live here?"

"yeah," he says, "he's my di, are you looking for him?"

"Di?" Gui questions, "so... you're Aaron's ge?"

"He's inside, I have to go to work now." Ah Ben then leaves.

Gui turns towards the door and looks at the house once more, a piece of her became hurt. "Turns out... this house is no longer my home..." She turns away and ends up leaning against the stone wall.

=================================