Chapter 7 - Rules

There's More to Me Than Just Chicken!

 

Onew

            The next day, I woke up in a severe panic. All of Jonghyun’s tips were running through my mind and I had only this one chance to execute them perfectly. I checked the clock and was disgruntled to see that it was only three in the morning. This date was stressing me out more than it should. I closed my eyes and tried to breathe. Just focus on the tips, Jinki.

            I got up and padded to the kitchen, poured myself a glass of water and sat on the couch. I looked out the window and really started to think. Why was I doing this? Going through all this trouble just for a girl was heck embarrassing. And not to mention the fact that I don’t know her, this makes me feel like a fool. And what was with SHINee’s sudden involvement?

            If I didn’t know better, I would say this has everything to do with their weird meddling. I sighed. Maybe I don’t even want to do this anymore. But it’s too late to chicken out of the date. Why did I try so hard to win? And how did I win? Could they have not tried their best? Argh, why is this so confusing?
            I sat there, waiting for an answer to hit me and heard tiny footsteps behind me. It was Taemin, clutching a teddy bear. “Hyung what are you doing up? It’s only four. Go back to sleep,” he ruffled his hair, confused.

            I smiled at our maknae. “It’s okay. I’m just a little worried about the date.”

            Taemin smiled. “You’re really lucky that you won. Genie-noona is a really nice person. You shouldn’t be worried. She’s a big M-, I mean, she’s a big mommy to people.”

            I nodded. “Yeah, she only sees it as a mommy thing doesn’t she? Well, I guess hyung can always wing it. I mean it’s not like she needs to be impressed. Either way, she’ll be doing it for the show.”

            Taemin perched on the armrest next to me and raised an eyebrow slightly. “But are you doing it just for the show?”

            I blushed at how perceptive our maknae can be and shrugged. “I don’t know. I don’t know my feelings. Aish, life is complicated. It’s okay. Go to bed. Hyung will be okay.” I patted his head but he frowned.

            “Ya, you can tell Taemin the truth. I won’t laugh,” he gazed deploringly up at me. I chuckled and stood up.

            “I’ll do fine tomorrow, hwaiting!” From behind me I heard him sigh in frustration. “Aish, that annoying evasive hyung.” My grin faltered as I tried to sort out my own feelings. How DID I really feel about Genie?

            I climbed back into bed and stared up at my ceiling. Never had I been so nervous for a date before. All the other girls didn’t affect me the same way she was now. Sighs, if this all go downhill, that would be very bad indeed. I forced myself to go to sleep and tried to not think about it anymore.

            When it was eleven, Jonghyun and Key came marching into the room, causing a huge raucous. “Onew, ya, wake up!” Key was in his apron and managed to still look dignified as he leaned over to whistle in my ear.

            “Aish, you guys, I’m waking up already. Chill yourselves,” I muttered.

            When I got down to the breakfast table, instead of a steaming plate of yummy Key-food, I saw a long sheet of paper. Jonghyun grinned evilly at me. “Keke, just to refresh your memory a bit. Take this test now!” I glanced down at the paper. 1. What happens if the girl trips and falls, holding onto you as support?   2. What is the first thing you do when you see her? He looked expectantly at me and I resigned myself and began to answer.

Genie

            I was up the entire night, trying to read the instructions Key had given me. It was a long list of ways to test Onew and to make him use his full potential. As she was dressing, she glanced down at the hot pink paper with Key’s neat handwriting.

1.Trip a lot, and hold onto him after you do so.

2. When the conversation dies, don’t revive. Let him do it.

3. If he orders chicken, WALK OUT.

4. If he says something classic Onew, roll your eyes and indicate that he is being lame.

5. Flirt with a bunch of guys, see how he defends you.

6. If he does not act like a gentleman, scold him for it.

            The list went on and on and on and on. My eyes blurred when I looked up. All those words and commands swirled in front of my eyes. I knew we were going first to an amusement park, then the movies before going on a dinner. I also knew that in between the movies and dinner, I would have an opportunity to change. And opportunity to meet up with Key and ask him if I have to further humiliate Onew for the dinner.

            I wanted to cry. Onew has been nothing but supportive, nothing but adorable ever since I joined Hello Baby. It hurt to want to bring him down. Key and Jonghyun always insisted this was for his own good, but how much of it was just a ploy to see him be humiliated? I hugged my legs closer to me and sighed. Why was it so hard to be a good fangirl?

            I sifted through my clothes and found a nice top with jeans. The top was short-sleeved, like Key’s instructions said. Apparently, if it gets too cold, Onew is supposed to lend me his jacket. I wanted to cheat, and let him off the hook, but this entire thing was being filmed. I would never be forgiven. Before I left the house, I casted one last sorrowful look at my Onew poster. “Mianhe, oppa.”

Kamsa for putting up with me and waiting so long for my updates ♥