Chapter 19 - Final Standings

There's More to Me Than Just Chicken!

 

Jongkey

            We were rapidly running out of tricks. But we decided this one just might make Onew snap. We wanted to see him snap. He’s already turned over a new leaf. Although he wasn’t super successful all the time, it was okay. As long as he doesn’t go back to that stupid chicken, everything would be well.

            And so the two of us decided to put our last plan into action. We faked a note from Yoogeun, saying that Minho would be the best daddy and the best fit for Genie. We then had the rest of the rankings, placing Onew-hyung last. We asked the producers to please say the rankings were based off a fan vote.

            We admit, right now, that we are a bit regretful this is how things had to go, but sometimes, a little cruelty is necessary. If it meant we could catalyze him to do some good, then surely we cannot be blamed. All we hope for is that he finds the guts to tell Genie the truth and then we will all be able to live happily ever after.

Genie

            I knew about their final plan. The cameramen were amused, but the producers went along with it. And so, I had to go along with it. I prayed that he wouldn’t snap. I prayed that he would take it in his usual good humor and hopefully understand that all of this was for his own good. But I was scared nonetheless. It was hard having him as a bias. Why couldn’t s leave him alone and see him for his perfection?

            Everyone was gathered on the set. It was the second to last episode in which I will be filming. We were going to have the letter lead up to the last episode. The producers delivered a letter to us. Jonghyun pretended that he had no idea what was going on and gave me a surprised look.

            “Whoa, what could this letter possibly be about?”

            Key snatched the paper from his hand and said, “Producer-nim, what exactly is the point of this thing?”

            “In the letter, is a dictated letter from Yoogeun. We had a heart to heart with him and he picked who was going to be the best daddy. Then we also conducted an online poll where we had the fans, over the course of this show, vote for the final best daddy. Obviously, Yoogeun gets final say but we had them rank the other four.”

            There was a silence and then Taemin drummed his hands on the floor. “Anticipation! I wonder who the fans ranked.”

            Minho, knowing full well that it was him, tried to lighten the mood. “What, you’re not worried about what Yoogeunie says?”

            Taemin shot him a smirk. “I obviously won that one. I was just thinking who would be last.” At this comment, Jonghyun snuck a not at all surreptitious glance at Onew. But the leader was too busy scrutinizing the outside of the letter to notice.

            “Can our umma do the honors for this?” Key handed me the letter. My hands were shaking. I carefully tore the envelope.

Dear SHINee appas,

            Thank you for taking care of me for this whole time. I know the five of you tried really hard and you tried your best. We made a lot of good memories together, didn’t we? Thank you for finding me such a fantastic umma and I hope SHINee appas will be able to do well in the future.

            I had to pick a best daddy, but if I could, I would pick all of you. Keke ^-^ Minho-appa, where are you? SHINee appas, please don’t give up heart. I will always be your Yoogeunie!”

            Everyone clapped for Minho. He got up and reached over to where the little boy was sitting on the ground. “Yoogeun, you picked me?” he was elated. “Aigoo, that’s my son.”

            I tapped the paper. “The next rankings are, Key, Taemin, Jonghyun and last but not least, Onew.”

            There was a chorus of awwws. “Why is Onew-Hyung last?” Taemin asked innocently.

            I swallowed. “Dunno, could be the chicken holding him back again.”

            Onew nodded and I crossed my fingers. So far so good. But I could see the hurt in his face. At last, the cameras stopped rolling. There was a gush of wind as Onew ran out from the room. Jongkey exchanged a significant look and they grinned.

Onew

            I am done. I ordered a large bucket of chicken, and sat in our kitchen. I took out a crispy leg and stared at it. I sniffed the scent and felt at home at last. I was done with faking and pretending to be someone I wasn’t.

            I had tried so hard to make everyone change their minds about me, but no matter where I went, the chicken haunted me. And so be it. I would show them what it is to be a true chicken king. I bit into the juicy flesh and instantly, my taste buds exploded. I closed my eyes, savoring the moment.

            If Yoogeun wouldn’t’ acknowledge me, fine. But if the fans, if Genie still believed that I was the chicken consuming idiot, then so be it. I tore off the meat and went through leg after leg, happy to be done with my ban.

            There was a small cough and I looked up. I almost dropped my drumstick. It was Genie and she looked absolutely miserable.