Chapter 1 - Just Chicken

There's More to Me Than Just Chicken!

 

Onew

            “So that’s it? You’re still choosing your chicken over me? Ya~ Lee Jinki, if you don’t clear up your act, you’ll never get a girlfriend!” she huffed and slammed the menu shut. For the sixth time in my life, a girl has walked on me because I insisted on having chicken for dinner rather than what she wanted.

            I hung my head and sat at our kitchen table, staring down at the counter.

            “Aish, hyung, did you mess up again?” It was Jonghyun, walking in. He opened the refrigerator and peered in. “What did she want to eat this time?”

            “She wanted fish fillet. But I told her chicken was white meat too, and tasted better,” I whispered quietly, anticipating the laughter that will burst from the dinosaur.

            Sure enough there was a roar of laughter and a crash. I turned to see that he had dropped the water bottle he was looking for. “Wahahahaha, chincha? Gosh, Jinki, you need to learn to compromise. She was a hot one too.”

            I sat there quietly and waited for the reprimands. I knew what was going to come next. Key would come in and start scolding and Minho and Taemin would look disapprovingly at me. Is it my fault that I happened to be addicted to chicken?

            “Lee Jinki! I told you one day that that stupid chicken obsession of yours would ruin your life. But you never listened to me. It was always, ‘It’s okay Kibum, I can make things work.’ Sure you can,” Key’s bossy voice permeated through the kitchen.

            I looked up and saw the other two members looking at me pitifully. I bit my lips and listened as Key’s harsh words rained upon me. I was so used to it; it didn’t really connect for me anymore. I tried to reform myself, but it was useless. Chicken has been with me faithfully for twenty-two years! How did anyone expect me to divorce my long time true love?

Genie

            I picked up my brother and swung him up in the air. “Yay! I’m so happy! They picked me, me, to be the daily umma on SHINee’s Hello Baby! I’m so stoked, are you happy for noona?” I wrinkled my nose at him and laughed when his chubby fists grabbed my hair.

            “Cho Joonyoo! I get to meet Jonghyun! And Taemin! I’m so happy. I think I can die of happiness. I’m so glad I have you to practice on. Yoogeunie will be easy to handle!” I laughed in exhilaration and jumped onto my bed.

            “Ohmygosh, I get to see Onew! I love Onew, I love him so so much. He’s so awesome and ohmygosh!” I hopped off the bed and started waltzing. My mom poked her head in the door and smiled, amused.

            “Ya, future umma. You better get ready for a long day tomorrow. Yoogeunie is not an easy man. You’ll have to work hard,” she advised. I nodded.

            The next day I stood in my closet and pondered. What was one supposed to where when one is meeting their idols? I chose a pink halter top with black jeans. I decided to go with flats since we would be running around all day.

            The van came to pick me up. The entire car ride, my foot was bouncing up and down as I anticipated meeting the five of them. When it stopped outside the house, I saw Jonghyun bounce out with Key. They had a mischievous look in their eyes and walked up to me.

            My heartbeat started racing as I saw the dinosaur wink at me. Goodness, he was so hot in real life. “Anyeonghaseyeo~” I bowed.

            They greeted me. Jonghyun slung an arm around my shoulder and they leaned in conspiratorially. “I remember hearing from PD-hyung that your bias was Onew? You look like his type. Keke, this will be fun Key!” Jonghyun whispered. He motioned at the thing in my arms, “And look, she has his drug.”

            I looked at the two of them confused. What? I was Onew’s type? I tried not to faint. Key cackled and threw me an evil look. “What we’re going to do is change Onew. He’s so pathetic. We’re going to push you on him. He’s definitely going to chase you. But I want you to ignore him. Do it please. It’s for his own good.”

            I raised an eyebrow. Jongkey sure was a scheming couple. I thought it over. It did sound interesting. But the whole Onew chasing after me wasn’t going to happen. I saw the hopeful looks on their faces and smiled. “Okay,” I said, willing to humor them.

            I watched in amusement as they high-fived and walked arm in arm towards the house. I followed slowly and walked in.

Onew

            The new umma was supposed to arrive today. I didn’t care. Nobody ever likes me anyway. She’ll probably diss me for being such a bad appa. Yoogeun, I really do love you though. I watched Taemin and Minho take turns swinging him around in the air.

            The doors opened and a cold blast of air hit me in the face. I looked up and saw Jongkey walk in followed by a girl. My mouth dropped open. She was short, had large eyes and a friendly smile. In her arms were a large bucket of chicken. My mouth watered and I zoned in.

            Jonghyun saw me looking and stepped in front of my line of vision. “Not so fast, Jinki. You have to work for it. Today, you’re going to have to impress the umma. You need to become the number one appa or else this chicken is going to the rest of us.”

            My mouth dropped open. I was furious. I was the leader, who did this child think he was talking to me like this? I squared my shoulders. “Fine, I will do anything for chicken.”

            On her face was a look of disgust and I felt a blow to my gut. What did I do wrong? I bit my lips and looked down.

            “So,” Jonghyun said conversationally. “Genie, what do you know about each of us?” I saw him give her a hard look.

            She caught the look and smiled. Her smile brightened her face. “Well, Jonghyun oppa is a great singer and he’s the crybaby. Key oppa is a major drama queen. He can dance to girl groups and he also is known as the umma of the group. Minho is the sports champ and charismatic. Taeminnie is adorable but he can be mature as well.” She beamed at us.

            My heart fell. Did she really skip me? What was this? I didn’t say anything, just continued to stare at my socks. The gray edge blurred with the white as I felt tears of rejection hit me. I should not be this affected.

            “Whoa, you forgot about our leader. What do you know about Onew?” Minho asked.

            She shrugged. “He’s the leader and he likes chicken?”

            My mouth dropped open. She didn’t know about my duck imitations? My singing? I seethed inside. Why was this going so wrong? The one girl I feel I can finally start off on a good start really hurts me. I made up my mind.

            I shrugged. “Whatever, let’s get started on that game. But it doesn’t matter. I don’t really want chicken anyway. I just want Yoogeunie’s love. You can have the chicken even if I win.”

            I turned away to see Jongkey high fiving each other. Let them be happy. It’s just chicken. 

 

YAA I LOVE YOU ONEW. I'M SO GLAD I'M FINALLY ABLE TO UPDATE THIS STORY ♥

There's going to be so many chicken references in this story. I love you~Monkey Icon

 nom nom