Chapter 16 - Onnie

There's More to Me Than Just Chicken!

 

Genie

            It was Minho’s idea for me to ask Onew out to shopping with me. He insisted that if we were to put him through the test, I had to make the first initiative. He had very little confidence in Onew’s abilities. “You should really ask him first or else he’ll be forever stuck alone and stammering. Most of the girls who eventually left him threw themselves at him.”

            So it was with a slightly heart that I walked to Onew one day after filming and tapped his shoulder. “Oppa, want to come shopping with me?”

            He turned with wide eyes. “M-me? But why wouldn’t you ask the others?”

            Taemin let out a soft sigh. “Hyung, if noona asked you, I would just say yes. Why are you being so hesitant? It’s not a trap.”

            I stared at him and tilted my head to the side, waiting for his answer. He blushed and peered down at his shoes. “I suppose. I guess we can go shopping.”

            On impulse, I hugged him. “Yay! Let’s go.” Then I let my arms drop. It was too much for me to continue holding onto him. I would probably explode.

            He smiled down at me and when we walked out the door, he took my hand. Fireworks exploded in my heart and when I turned back, I saw Taemin give me a thumbs up. He smiled approvingly and clapped his hands.

            “Where do you want to go?”

            I shrugged. “I just wanted to wander the streets. The tiny stands always sell the cutest things.”

            He laughed and pushed in my nose. I was shocked by how at ease he felt with me. I swung our arms together and blushed when an ahjumma pulled us over. “Come here. Let’s take a look. We have matching couple headbands. We also have some adorable mittens. Let’s take a look, why don’t we?”

            She showered us with all these things and Onew gamely tried on a pair of kitten ears. He smiled and took out his cell phone. “Selca, my dear?”  I blushed and he placed an arm around my shoulder and I smiled tentatively.

            The lady clapped her hands. “Gorgeous! For that, I’ll throw in this couple t-shirt for free. The two of you stick together okay? You were just like me and my husband when we were your age. I see a bright future for you!”

            We laughed sheepishly and bowed to her as we left. Onew placed the headband on my head and I laughed. “We look so silly.” He shrugged.

            “For you, it’s all worth it.”

            Tears caught in my eye. If only this were real, I would honestly die a happy fangirl. I wouldn’t need anything else. I just shivered and tried not to cry. He was so sweet. Why didn’t his other girlfriends appreciate it?

            “Oppa, do you want to get some chicken? I’m in the mood for chicken.”

            “You know that’s not my only obsession, right?”

            I pouted. “I know. But, I love chicken.”

            There was a squeal of surprise and a huge crowd of girls started to gather in front of us. “They’re so close! What if they’re dating?”       

            I panicked. Fans were always hard to deal with.

Onew

            I looked up from staring at her pretty profile and saw a bunch of fans pointing at us. I wanted to protect her in case they were of the malicious kind. They pointed and stared. I did my best to smile at them and waved.

            “Hello Shawols! I hope you’re taking care of yourselves this morning? Meet our umma!” I hugged Genie and she shrank into me.

            The fans seemed undecided as to how to react but one of them finally burst into cheering. “Onnie, hwaiting! I hope you have fun taking care of Yoogeunie, okay?”

            This caused everyone else to join and sounds of “Onnie,” resounded around us. Genie blushed and the fans cheered happily as we walked by.

            I looked at her and tugged on her hand. “Onnie. I like it.”