Chapter 11 - A New Challenge

There's More to Me Than Just Chicken!

 

Onew

            I was satisfied with myself. I was getting good at this seduction business. When I dropped her back and went back to the dorm, I found the boys up and ready to bombard me with questions. Jonghyun came immediately to me and clapped me on the back. “I’m proud of you, Dubu! You finally learned to take the initiative and voila! Lo and behold, you have gotten yourself the girl.”

            I tried to hide my smile and looked up. Key was hovering at the back and his arms were crossed. When I looked at him, he raised an eyebrow. “So, are you proud of yourself?”

            Taemin hugged me. “Hyung was so smooth!” I couldn’t help but laugh. It really felt good for the maknae to be proud of me. Taemin’s smile was bright and Minho nodded with understanding.

            But when I pushed past Key, he grabbed my arm and almost gave me a haughty stare. “You, our dear leader, may have passed Minho and Jonghyun’s test. But there are four members and you have yet to pass mine. Believe me; mine will make you cry for mercy.”

            I gulped and tried to not look intimidated. So this was a conspiracy. This entire thing was a damn conspiracy to get at me. I didn’t really understand their motive. Were they trying to humiliate me in front of Genie and national television? And if so, why? I glared at the lot of them, Taemin included, because I knew he would be in on the plot.

            I spent the rest of the day in a grouchy mood and decided to practice my dancing for our comeback. The movements allowed me to relieve some of my pent up adrenaline and energy. I could never imagine my members to turn on me like this. This was ridiculous.

            I knew I could be a little weird. I knew that I may not be as cool or as suave or as cute as they were. But I figured that they had come to accept me for who I am. I grabbed a pillow and threw it at the closed door.

            “Were these three years we’ve been a family gone to waste? Heck, we’ve trained together for even longer than that!” I screamed.

            I threw my stuffed chicken on the floor and continued to roar with a savage anger. I hated that they would think I was pathetic enough to pity and to change. I could slowly feel the tears come and sniffled.

            My phone vibrated and I glanced at it, not wanting to pick it up. I didn’t want to transfer my again and vent on whoever it was on the other side. But the phone rang relentlessly and for the sake of preventing me from getting a headache, I picked up.

            “Yeboseyo?” I growled.

            “Onew-oppa?” a girl’s voice came through and I felt all my anger melt away. It was replaced by a nervousness.

            “Neh, why are you calling me? I’ll see you tomorrow.”

            She chuckled. “A girl calls you and the first thing you want to do is to kick her off the phone?” she teased.

            I blushed. No wonder they all wanted to reform me. I couldn’t keep a girl for my life. “Ah, what? N-no! I, er, I wasn’t,”

            She giggled. “You’re so adorable. Don’t sweat it. I was just joking around. I just called to say thank you. The day was awesome and I had a lot of fun. Thank you, oppa, for saving me from those nasty boys too.”

            I swelled slightly with pride. “Keke, no problem. That’s what the daddy’s there for! If I didn’t do anything, I would be completely useless wouldn’t I?”

            “And then you sang to me and held me during the surfing. You’re so brave.” Her voice suddenly became quiet, and she turned a bit shy.

            My eyes were welling up with all the tears of happiness that was forming. Who needed a loyal SHINee when they could have this wonderful girl praising them? I laughed a bit. “Thank you Genie. I tried for you.”

            She coughed slightly. “Well, I don’t want to be disturbing you. Go sleep and we’ll take care of our kid tomorrow together!”

            “Hwaiting! Good night!”

            When I hung up the phone, I was in marvelously high spirits.

            The next day, we stood around an arena and I waited quietly. The producers had said we would be doing something slightly different for Hello Baby! I was a bit nervous because the others seemed to be in the loop.

            The producer held up a mic. “Today, we’re going to be celebrating our talents! You’re going to have to explore gag humor and each of you will learn from a sunbae. At the end of the day, you’re going to come and perform and the umma will choose the winner! Yoogeun will also be competing. So watch out appas, your son may steal Genie’s heart!”

            The curtains rose and we gasped. Our Super Junior hyungs came out and they bowed. Donghae, Eunhyuk, Kyuhyun, Leeteuk and Heechul came out. I gulped. It was clear what aspects of talent they wanted us to explore.

            I looked at Leeteuk-hyung and prayed that we would be paired together. But the producer once more spoke, “Onew will be with Eunhyuk, Minho will be with Leeteuk, Key with Kyuhyun, Taemin with Donghae and Jonghyun with Heechul! You will follow whatever the sunbaes tell you to do and good luck. Have fun and keep in mind, the goal is to outbeat your adorable son and to win the umma’s heart!”

 

I want to thank amyra961 for being amazing. Everytime I update, you are here to comment. This story, unfortunately, isn't getting much reviews. Nobody ever comments. Sighs. But you do! And Dubu and I love you ♥