Chapter 4 - Channeling Minho

There's More to Me Than Just Chicken!

 

Onew

            I walked up to Yoogeun and did my duck impression. When that didn’t work, I thought of how Minho never gave up and I took a deep breath. I took him from Genie and swung him around in the air. The surprise of my action made Yoogeun open up his eyes and he peered up at me with shock on his face. I stuck out my tongue at him and shook the hair out of my eyes in a crazy way. He giggled and buried his face into my shoulder.

            I stopped spinning, a little dizzy myself. There was a slow clapping sound and I peered up to see Minho and Taemin applauding. “See hyung, I knew you could do it. All you have to do is get up to his eye level and let your heart go,” Taemin encouraged. I continued to smile like a fool. No wonder Minho always fought for Yoogeun. It was an amazing feeling to have total control over such a cute child.

            Genie smiled gratefully. I pumped my fist in the air. Triumph. Score one for Jinki.

            Brrrrrriiinnngggg! I shot out of bed and hit myself against the headboard. “Oww,” I moaned. I popped back down and pulled the covers over my head. What was wrong with the alarm? Was Taemin playing a trick again? This was not funny; an idol needed his sleep! I almost drifted off into dreamland when I remembered. I threw off the blankets and scrambled for the bathroom. Everyone else was still in their rooms. I tiptoed to the bathroom and began to wash up.

            It was only five in the morning. I had three more hours before the others would wake. I pulled on athletic shorts and a T-shirt. I walked out of the dorms and to a nearby basketball court. The sun had barely come out and the sky was cast with fluffy clouds. It was going to be a rainy day, I could tell.

            I stretched the way I see Minho stretch and felt a pull on my tight muscles. After making sure I was loose, I grabbed a basketball and began to shoot hoops. I missed, continuously. Five consecutive balls, one after the other. I make one in occasionally before losing the rhythm once more. The sweat poured into my eyes, making it sting with the salt. But I kept going. I knew I would have to avoid Key after this. He would make a big deal over my sticky appearance.

            I kept shooting and chasing the ball, forgetting about the time. The sun began to shine through a bit and I heard a loud, “There he is! What is he doing!” At first I cursed myself, thinking that these were fans. I didn’t want to be caught in a media frenzy this early in the morning. I tried to hide my face but then I realized the screamer was Key.

            Jonghyun and Minho came running over. “What are you doing so early in the morning?” Jonghyun’s eyes fell on the basketball I tried to hide behind my back. An evil grin formed on his face. “Ohhh, working out now? Trying to be taller like Minho? Trying to get some game to impress somebody?”

            I was glad my blush was hidden underneath my exhaustion. Minho was nicer about it. “Hyung, if you want, I can help you get better,” he offered. I smiled gratefully before turning to glare at the short singer.

            “There’s nobody to impress. I just wanted to play better,” I walked off towards the dorms. The moment I stepped in, I was assaulted by Key who held a handkerchief to his nose. “Euw, go take a shower. Genie’s coming in ten minutes. You need to look presentable.”

            I walked calmly up the stairs, knowing that Minho would never show his eagerness. Think suave, I chanted to myself. Think cool and calm. Play hard to get. Flaming charisma, I thought. I put on deodorant and tousled my hair in the mirror. Breathing in deeply, I walked out.

            Genie was already there, happily eating breakfast with the others and chatting away. I watched her from afar and saw her delicate hands motion in the air and her animated smile lighting up the room. Jonghyun’s head snapped up and he saw me.

            “Hyung, stop being a creeper and join us! Come on, the sausage is good,” he waved a fork towards me. Genie looked up and nodded at me, smiling to show her teeth. I walked down casually and nodded respectfully, holding my head up high the way Minho does. I casually grabbed the orange juice carton and chugged straight from it.

            Key tsked and grabbed it away from me. “Ya! Other people want to drink too. Goodness, now your germs are all over! Who do you think you are? Choi Minho?” I shrugged and walked out the door, only realizing at the last minute that I forgot to put on shoes.

            Trying to appear blasé, I walked back in and slipped past Key. But he grabbed my arms. “Forgot your shoes? Ah, I love it when you’re trying to act cool. It doesn’t work.” I glared slightly at him and pushed away. He was killing my cool vibe.

Genie

            I couldn’t help but giggle at Onew. He was obviously trying to change himself. I suppose Jonghyun and Key knew what they were talking about. But it was still so funny. The act just didn’t suit him. He strutted out the door before running back in. I looked down and found the source to his quick return. He didn’t have shoes on! That silly pabo.

            But he just breathed in and acted a suave again. When he came back out, I saw the he had put on a leather jacket and sunglasses. My mouth dropped open. I mean, I knew he was good looking, but this was insane. I felt my heartbeat race a bit more and mentally scolded myself.

            Jonghyun came over to me and whispered, “We’re going to be having a sports competition among each other. The winner will get a day to spend a date with you. We’re not going to let Jinki off easily, but I have a feeling that silly monster will try his hardest. So, good luck to him. Remember, you’re not an MVP right now. You’re someone who wants Onew to do well.”

            I nodded. I understood my mission. We went over to pick up Yoogeun. He raced into Minho’s arms and demanded, “Duck appa. Duck appa.” Minho’s face fell a bit and he looked around for Onew.

“Hyung, Yoogeunie wants you.” I saw him swallow hard as he reached for the child. My heart soared as I watched how hard he was trying to get close. Yoogeun patted his face and demanded, “Duck!”

Onew laughed and did his famous impression once more. Yoogeun laughed and Onew rocked him around in the air. This new confidence was good. It was a good change from his normal, shy behavior.

“We’re going to be having a contest. It’s going to be a sports competition. Whoever wins gets a date with the umma,” Key announced. I saw Onew look surreptitiously at me before glancing away. I blushed.

            “The set has set up various athletic competitions for us to participate in. There’s going to be basketball shooting, batting, as well weight lifting. In those three trials, whoever accomplishes the most wins. Not only will he be names best appa for the week, he gets to go out on a romantic date with our lovely umma!” The PD announced. SHINee clapped and hooted.

            They stepped out to the back of the house and found a basketball court set up. “We’re going by age order, backwards,” Jonghyun announced. “This way Onew-hyung can check out the competition and motivate himself to do better.”

            The leader flushed slightly before regaining composure and looking straight ahead. Taemin went up to the court and dribbled slowly, getting ready. He stood in front of the foul line and shot, a clean swish. The maknae proceeded to make a total of six out of ten. Minho went up and squared his shoulders. Looking confidently around him, he let go of a beautiful three pointer. My mouth dropped.

            Why was Minho so amazing? I watched as I saw him make the next nine, before the last one went awry. He hung his head and I winced. I knew he wasn’t used to the failure. But nine out of ten was amazing. Key walked up and smirked. He knew he wasn’t going to win. Inside, I knew he wanted to notch up the competition to make Onew sweat anyway.

            He squatted and I winced at the ill form. Even I, an amateur, knew that Key was doing it wrong. Without a care in the world, he shot, and amazingly made seven out of ten. Jonghyun’s mouth dropped and Key winked at him. “Underestimated me didn’t you?” Yoogeunie clapped his hands, eager to watch the proceedings.

            Jonghyun went up and despite his height, he was able to get the next nine in. So now Minho and Jonghyun were tied. They exchanged looks before Onew went up.

            Onew took a deep breath and stood there, staring at the hoop. “Go leader! Why are you hesitating? Too scared to miss one?” Jonghyun taunted. Onew turned to stare at him before calmly switching his gaze back to the court. But I could sense the nervousness rolling off him.

“Onew-appa! Hwaiting,” Yoogeunie called out before looking embarrassed. He had never cheered for anyone else during this tournament. What was the change? I stared bemused at the now shy boy in my arms. He stuck out his tongue and reverted back to his arrogant little self.

 

Onew

            There was so much pressure. I remembered how hard it was for me to get anything in in the beginning. What made me think I was able to do it now? Without any trials in between? Then I heard Yoogeun scream, “Onew-appa, hwaiting!” That was when I knew I could do it.

            I bent my knees and let fly the ball. The wind came on strong but I closed my eyes and willed for it to go in. It was so silent I could heard the swish. There was a smattering of applause. Genie sat there, watching me, with bright eyes and Yoogeun laughed.

            I retrieved the ball and went back into form. Now that I had made one, it was easier to make the others. Swish after swish went in until I lost count. It wasn’t until I heard the whistle blow and Jonghyun screaming that I stopped.

            “Ohmygosh! Jinki actually did it! I guess this morning paid off!” Key shrieked, placing his hands on the singer’s shoulders. Jonghyun’s mouth was wide open. Tiny arms wrapped around my legs and I looked down to see Yoogeun. He was beaming up at me.

            “I knew appa could do it,” he giggled. I wanted to hug him, but the old me restrained. Sweet honey hit my nose and I looked to see Genie standing a few feet away. Think Minho, I chanted to myself. I pumped my fist in his traditional victory celebration and reached down to swing the baby in the air. “Wheeee!!” he squealed.

Jongkey

            We watched the happy scene with tears in our eyes. Haha, not. But we were proud, because we knew that it was our meddling, our planning, that allowed our leader to change. See? Sometimes it’s good to listen to the schemers. Sometimes it’s healthy to let the smart ones take over.

            We looked at each other and grinned evilly. Kekeke, Jinki has no idea what surprises we plan for his romantic date with the umma. We high fived each other and quietly slipped off to plan. But we didn’t overlook the beaming pride in Genie’s eyes. Yep, that was a girl in love. And it was up to us to reform Onew enough so that he’s worthy of her. 

 

So a bunch of you wanted to know who the face behind all these stories is. And so here it is. XD I'm doing it for all my stories, so you'll be seeing my face for a while if you're subscribed to a bunch of my stories.

 

 

ws6j.jpg

NOT A PRETTY CHILD. I APOLOGIZES. 

 

Name: Jill

Age: 16

Ethnicity: Taiwanese but I live in the US

Favorite Boy Group: Super Junior 

               Biases: Hyukjae, Kyuhyun, Donghae, Ryeowook, Sungmin

Favorite Girl Group: Girl's Generation

               Biases: Yoona, Hyoyeon, Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sooyoung

Ultimate Bias: Hyukjae ♥

Husbands: Hyukjae, Onew, Kyuhyun

Follow me on Twitter?  Sure, just tell me who you are/username and what story you subscribed to, iheartzsj ♥ and I love you guys~ 

I honestly will try my best to update.

I want to thank all my subscribers and readers. But you guys have been super quiet... I need feedback. Because it's junior year. That means SAT, APs. If this story doesn't get a lot of feedback, I may just put it aside for a while. THIS DOES NOT MEAN I'M DITCHING IT.

I just won't update as much. But if I see that it's in demand, I will try my best to update. I have ten other stories going on as well.