PAST. YEAR 2000 (15 YEARS OLD) (II)

Goodbye Days

 

PAST. YEAR 2000 (15 YEARS OLD) (II)

 

 

 

I turned around and opened the door ajar before hearing footsteps behind.

“Monkey, why are you late?” I heard that familiar voice. Jong Woon hyung.

“Sorry we left you. We had to buy something from the supermarket.” Another voice was heard. I turned to them and saw Ye Sung hyung and Uncle Myung Soo infront.

“It’s late.” I said, ignoring their words. “Let’s go in.”

Uncle went ahead of us and as my cousin followed, I held him on his wrist and pulled him out before he’d go in. He shot me a look.

 

“Hyung, do you remember my elementary habit back then?” I asked him, grinning.

That habit was going home late at night whenever Hae Ra would ask me to play with her. We’d frequently do that, right? Especially those times when we were still really young kids.

He halted for a while to ponder. I cannot seem to remember because a long time has already passed before I have done it again this time. But after some time, he smiled back at me.

“You saw Hae Ra?” He asked. I read his eyes, and he was almost as gleeful as me.

“I think since tonight, I’ll be starting to plan when to initiate that habit again.” I kidded, but he gave me a gentle noogie. He pulled me inside the house and then closed the door after us.

“Congratulations, monkey!” He breathed. I sensed we both had that feeling of fulfillment.

 

***

 

My day started really superb the following day. It was as if another joyful spirit resurrected from me. I got inside my classroom with a huge grin, and almost every body noticed it, especially my friends.

 

“Park Kyung, had you accidentally mixed the happy potion on his drink? Tell the truth!” Jeong Min hissed at him. San Deul was watching me approach them.

“Bro, are you mad?” San Deul asked, befuddled. I sat down his desk.

“Is it an extended April Fool’s today that we didn’t know of?”  Jeong Min asked.

“Aha! Tae Yon and he are officially dating!” Kyung hollered, but I quickly punched him on his shoulders.

“What the?! No! Dudes, Hae Ra showed up yesterday! We’re not going to part again!” I elucidated. Their noises died down into silence.

“You’re really mad, brother! It’s an illusion! Snap out of it! You also said those same responses last week!” San Deul muttered.

“He’s right! Really! Last month, you also said those same things! We hear the same statements almost every month!” Kyung added.

“We’re not going to be deluded.” Jeong Min firmly stated.

“But dudes! It’s real this time! I’ll let you meet her later. Let’s see at Seven Melts Coffee Shop, okay?” I offered, somehow proud.

“Alright.” They said in a synchronized manner. But I wasn’t really cowardly this time because I’ve got this intuition that everything will be good.

 

Hae Ra said she’ll return later. I know she will.

 

***

It was already dismissal, and I was standing in front of the main gate. I wanted to prove myself that Hae Ra really does care, and that I could trust her to keep her promise. My friends left me, informing me that they have much to do before the awaited meet-up.

 

“Dong Hae!” There was a lady’s voice coming from behind and I turned around, my heart skipping beats.

“Hae Ra---“ Upon seeing who was it, there was something I wasn’t expecting. Soft lips brushed against mine, but not that hard that one could consider it a kiss. I quickly dodged it before anything else, and finally came into my senses. In front of me was Tae Yon, a mixed happiness and shocked expression on her face. I knew it. She could only be the possible person who’ll do this to me.

“Dong Hae oppa!” She protested, and her happiness turned into the opposite. Her eyesbrows were crouched, as if something very unpleasant came upon her.

“Why did you even do that, Tae Yon? Are you freaking crazy?! What are you doing here?!” I hissed at her, but she only gave a smirk.

“Don’t pretend that you don’t like me too, Dong Hae. Liar!” Her frown turned into somewhat a sinister smile. The kind of smile which can be very creepy --- as if she’s telling me through her eyes that she knows something about me that I don’t.

“What are you talking about, Tae Yon? You’re crazy!” I repeated my words, unconvinced. She took a step nearer and I did one step back.

“We’re officially going out already, right? You’re my boyfriend.” She uttered. I was speechless for a moment, and befuddled. She has a way of thinking.

“Since when? I didn’t even court you! Tae Yon, you must be mistaken.” I answered. She stood still for a while and a feeling of guilt struck me for a very brief moment. She started to speak.

“But… but…. Yesterday… we had a date, right? You’re happy… I’m happy… What is that supposed to mean? Isn’t that already counted as courting? Oppa… why?” These words came from as if she was talking incoherently. I didn’t want to hurt her, since she’s a woman. I don’t want to hurt anybody. But she shouldn’t have expected that I could return what she could give. I looked at her and her eyes were watery – she was trying to pull herself together and fight off the tears. I was silenced. I wasn’t so sure how to explain or say every thing. I do not know what to do.

“Tae Yon…” I started, but her eyes started to flow down her cheeks. I got pity, but I don’t want these tears to last forever.

“I’ve got a proposition from my friends… they said if I could make your birthday special, they’d give me Starbucks coffee for a week. I thought that I just wanted to make you last year in middle---“ I was cut off with a warm and tight hug. I heard her soft sob while I stood, paralyzed. This was the first time a girl cried for me, I mused.

“Tae Yon… don’t cry. Sorry, but I don’t want to lie to you. I like someone else.” I whispered. I felt that her hug became tighter.

“What is with that woman that I don’t have? Tell me and I’ll do it for you! Isn’t it enough that I’ve already been waiting for you too long?” She complained.

I didn’t answer her, for I was afraid I’d let her feel more down than she was. I was afraid that the turmoil would even worsen. Moments later, when she has calmed down, I saw a woman standing on the other side of the street, waiting patiently. She was staring into us and it seemed like her face was having melancholic expression. And with a little look… I realized that she was Hae Ra.

We looked into each other first. At first, I was thinking how to explain this properly without making it look bad from the truth. Yet I panicked when she started walking away. I felt this feeling of fear that I wouldn’t be able to see her again. That she would get all the means of running away from me. Secondly, I felt anxiety. I was nervous because she would obviously infer I was seeing someone else. Someone I replaced her when she was MIA. I was tensed that she’d think I was kidding when I told her I like her back then, because we knew less about Love. I didn’t want her to think any of these just because of what she had seen.

I pushed Tae Yon away even if her hug was unbreakable. I crossed the road and ran after Hae Ra, who seemed to be in a fast pace.

 

“Hae Ra! Waaait!” I hollered. There weren’t much people around so she easily heard me. We were just few meters away. She halted on her tracks and turned around. I felt uneasy. I wanted to talk to her so I took steps forward.

“Stop right there.” She commanded when she realized I was coming near her. I followed. Mixed emotions were felt inside.

“Hae Ra, let’s talk.” I didn’t want anything more than this.

“I fetched you here, but it seems like you’re a little busy.” She said. I couldn’t detect on her voice if she was jealous, afraid, or anything she could feel, because her expression was really plain.

“You’re wrong! She’s only my friend!” I explained to her. I wanted to run to her and hug her to remove all those negative things inside his mind. But I couldn’t do it or she’ll get mad.

“Because of the time we lost, I don’t know whether I’ll give you  my trust again, DongHae.” She  said, unruffled. I became dejected upon hearing that. It was like the very last hope inside my heard has been drained. I do not want this, I told myself. I need to prove her that I am worthy for her.

“Hae Ra, let’s meet later at the Seven Melts Coffee Shop. I will introduce you to my friends! If you won’t come, I’d wait for you there even if a hundred millennium would come!” I told her. She didn’t utter a word but instead ran away. Agitation and dismay engulfed my senses. The moment when I saw her running away again carved a hole inside my heart. What if she’d not show up later? My friends would think I’m still insane, and I would be left, downcast. That triggered me to know her reply. When I started to walk to follow her and ask for her answer, someone held my wrist from behind. I turned around.

“Is it she?” Tae Yon showed up and asked. So she has trailed after me. I knew she was talking about Hae Ra.

 

Without hesitations, I nodded at her.

 

***

It was already evening, and I was waiting in the shop with my friends, who were with their girlfriends. They even proposed that to have some time together, we’d go into a night group date into the mall. I agreed, ofcourse. What else could go wrong? As long as I have Hae Ra.

But it was already close to 30 minutes that we were waiting, and my comrades were starting to get impatient.

“Dude! I think your Hae Ra would not come.” San Deul whispered.

“It’s better if you’d just quit this illusion.” Kyung agreed.

“Admit that you haven’t seen her, okay? Just stick to others.” Jeong Min persuaded.

I didn’t mind them even if they’d say a million things about letting her go. I know Hae Ra would come. Even if Victoria (Sandeul’s GF), Suzy (Kyung’s GF), and Dara (Jeong Min’s GF) look bored and slightly peevish, I won’t give up.

Minutes passed swiftly. We were already been waiting for an hour, and I was starting to feel neglected. Maybe she’ll not really come, I mused. I should have believed my friends.

I stared out of the windows. Random and unwanted thoughts besieged my mind. I realized I was already becoming deeply wounded with Hae Ra’s departures and not showing up.

I veered my eyes towards the pedestrian lane. I saw a lady crossing, and her shirt was blue. She was looking straight at me. As she was drawing near me, I suddenly became aware that it was Hae Ra. All of those negativities were shoved away instantly. Everything felt brilliant. I couldn’t describe in words those feelings I felt when I saw her. I suddenly got on my feet and all my companions shot their eyes at me, surprised. I couldn’t get my eyes off her as I smile.

 

“Guys, Hae Ra’s here!” I whispered happily at them. They all stood up and looked at the direction where I was looking.

“What? Is that her?! So fat! Dude, you really have no taste!” San Deul scorned.

“Omooo. You’re insane for that kind of woman. I feel your pain.” I heard Jeong Min mutter to himself.

“I think I don’t like to meet her.” Kyung said.

 

I didn’t care. I was already used to their ratings by the perception of their eyes. As long as Hae Ra is here and she showed up, I am happy.

But when I told them she has entered the shop, the 3 stood agaped.

“Guys, I thought you don’t want to meet her? Why does it seem like now you’re surprised?” I asked softly.

“Sorry. We thought Hae Ra was the fat woman she was walking with.” Kyung replied, and the other two agreed/

“Bro, she’s beautiful.” San Deul complimented.

“You’re a winner, dude!” Jeong Min smiled and high-fived with me.

Hae Ra approached as and bowed as a sign of respect, smiling.

“Sorry if I let you wait for so long. I was caught up in a traffic.” She apologized.

“It’s alright.” They said in not a unison manner, although the words were prevailing. I let Hae Ra sit beside me.

“I thought you weren’t going to come.” I asked her, and she smiled again.

“Is that acceptable?” She asked. I giggled.

 

Afterawhile, after we gave our orders, we started eating as we talked. I introduced her like she was the most precious gem in the world, and only I can have her. She felt her importance to me, I knew it. This was the way to apologize to her for earlier. I just couldn’t leave a valuable woman like her.

 

***

 

After we ate, we headed to our plan --- to go out to the mall. She has already expressed her agreement with her yes, which was in fact, euphoric.

 

While we were walking inside the mall, I thought it was the best if I could explain to her a little bit.

 

“Hae Ra…”

“Hm?” She loked at me. My friends, who were with their respective girlfriends, have their own worlds even though we were going as a group.

“Earlier… she was Tae Yon. She became broken-hearted so she opened up to me. She liked my friend…” I explained to her. Even if it was against my will to lie to her, I guess it would be better so any doubts would not rise.

She nodded and smiled.

“Are you okay with that?” I asked, and I tried to hide the smile that was forming within my lips.

“Yeah. Why not? Sorry for what I acted earlier.” She answered. I couldn’t conceal my smile. I put an arm around her and pulled her closer to me, as if we’d not be separated anymore.

“This is just better.” I mutterd, and she laughed. Da Ra and Jeong Min were closer to us than the others, and they looked at us.

“Don’t they look perfect together? They wold make a really cute couple.” Jeong Min said to Da Ra, which is audible enough for me to have heard. I silently listened to them.

“You’re right. But wait.. I thought they were officially a couple?” asked Da Ra.

“Not yet. I think my brother over there is just waiting for his chance.” Jeong Min replied, and Da Ra smiled comfortably.

I was secretly overjoyed with what I’ve eavesdropped to.

 

We got onto the 2nd floor where there was an arcade. We went inside and played games with our women and while I was with Hae Ra, I couldn’t be any happier.

 

***

 

After an hour has passed, we decided to go into their separate ways and drop by our girls into their different homes. Hae Ra came along with me. We were already on our way towards my home, right after we rode the bus.

“Thanks for today, Dong hae.” She whispered and hugged my arm.

“As long as you’re happy, I’m okay with everything.” I told her.

“I miss you.”

“I missed you too.”

 

We were already tired, so we started to fall into silence. I felt really comfortable during this time. Then, I remembered our time inside the arcade earlier. We were so sweet as we were playing, and I’ve been hearing some compliments for us – that we were a perfect match for each other. Although I haven’t heard some of them, I could read it from their eyes, and I’ve been hearing some whispers. It seemed like this day was one of the bests for me.

When we arrived in front of my hose, I know that she’d say her good bye here. Although I couldn’t stop time, I faced her.

“Thanks again.” She repeated, and I smiled.

“It’s nothing.”

“So this is it.” She said, and an awkward silence filled in. It was as if we have to say good-bye, although we don’t. Then, she started leaning forward to me, and that’s when I realized she was going to kiss me. Edgy, I closed my eyes and waited. When I felt that she was near my cheeks, I heard a voice.

 

“Good bye.” She whispered and then ran away, a smile on her face again.

 

I smiled too, thinking how foolish I was. Of course, we’re not on that stage yet. Stupid DongHae, I scolded myself. I watched her go away. My chest ached… and I didn’t know why.